Sponsored by:

COOLANT PIPES OPINION

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 04:32 PM
2005CayenneS
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default COOLANT PIPES OPINION

Thanks you guys for helping me fixed ignition coils problem.

Now I wonder if my next project should be replacing the coolant pipes.(no leak YET)

2005 CS 51,000 miles.
Previous owner garaged during last 3 years.
No problem ever reported.

I'm now a bit worried to bring the beast for out of town trips yet it is pricey to fix.($2600 per dealer)

What would you do if you were me?
Old 03-30-2011, 06:06 PM
libtech75
Intermediate

Well I have a 2005 CS that is at 53K miles and pipes just started leaking. I took in to my trusted Indy who has been working on my cars for years and he did in four hours flat. I bought parts kit from porscheoemparts.com for about $400 shipped 2nd day air to me. Bought two gallons of coolant from my dealer for $25 each plus tax (with 20% winter coupon) and am happy to say installation went off without a hitch and no more leaking.

I contacted every dealer around me and lowest price was $1800 all the way to $3000! The main reason is the book rate for the job is 10 hours and they charge you that at $200 per hour or whatever their individual dealer's hourly rates are, no matter how long the job actually takes.

My Indy charged me for 5 hours at $85 per hour. Cost me less to do this job then it cost to change my brakes all around on my Touareg last year.

Mine was a slow leak. At first I couldn't see any leakage underneath the car at all nor on the undercarriage. But I could smell it. Then it developed into a very minor leak and this morning when I took the car to the mechanic there was a pretty decent pool of coolant on the floor. I would say I put in about 1/4 gallon of coolant to top it off and prayed nothing would happen.

Luckily no issues and keeping fingers crossed about transmission seal. For what it's worth that's my experience and my Indy told me everyone he's seen was also a slow seepage from a hairline crack. But as you've read no doubt on this forum plenty seem to have a major crack that dumped the coolant all over the floor.

I would say since you don't NEED to do it now - buy the kit from cheapest place possible then call around under you find a trusted Indy who has done the job and will give you the best rate possible. Then do the job now before you are forced to do it under bad circumstances and at the dealer.
Old 03-30-2011, 11:52 PM
a17322a
Track Day

I had a 2004 cayenne S with 52k miles that I just bought in January and I just changed the coolant pipes on my own. It was not too difficult if you have worked on cars. From the looks of the original pipes in there, it seems like mine wasn't due for a change anytime soon but I did it as a precaution. Hope that helps.
Old 04-01-2011, 07:02 PM
2005CayenneS
Intermediate

I would say since you don't NEED to do it now - buy the kit from cheapest place possible then call around under you find a trusted Indy who has done the job and will give you the best rate possible. Then do the job now before you are forced to do it under bad circumstances and at the dealer.
Unquote

Thanks. I'll do that.
Old 04-01-2011, 07:13 PM
hahnmgh63
Three Wheelin'

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts

Mine is a '05 Cayenne TT which I got at 49K and it already had the pipes replaced but I'm not sure if it was for a leak or preventative.

Quick Reply: COOLANT PIPES OPINION