Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant Pipes -- Who has been proactive?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 02:01 PM
lnferno
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant Pipes -- Who has been proactive?

What I'm curious about are the people that have proactively got the coolant lines replaced? My thinking is that if it's going to happen eventually, I'd rather get it done proactively, rather than waiting for it to happen and then potentially cause other problems indirectly (e.g. starter). I only have 27k miles on my 2006 Turbo S, but I'm not sure if its a matter of miles or age for the coolant lines to go. At this point, I'm more inclined to just bite the bullet and proactively get the job done. What are your thoughts?
Old 01-04-2011, 04:51 PM
mxquattro
Instructor

It does seem to be a matter of when, not if. So when I got my '86 CS @40K last year I just did it. (well, had it done). I just didnt want to have to worry about it, or worry if my wife was driving it. I needed it to be as reliable as gravity or Id hear about buying it So one less thing to go wrong the better. Id hate to have it let go on a cold winter night in the middle of nowhere and be at the mercy of some no name shop.
my 2 cents...
Bob
Old 01-04-2011, 05:14 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

If you're planning on keeping the vehicle, do it.
BTW, you can cause more problems than just the starter when the tubes let go.

Or just buy the V6 with the Audi engine ... no problem there.
Old 01-04-2011, 07:38 PM
lnferno
Advanced

My local Porsche dealer quoted me the following:

PARTS $842.00
LABOR $765.00

I'm thinking I could get the coolant pipe kit for even less at sunsetcoast for $530 which would bring the total to around $1300. That's not nearly as bad as I thought. I will likely get this done soon before it decides to do it without my authorization lol
Old 01-04-2011, 07:52 PM
lnferno
Advanced

Originally Posted by ltc
Or just buy the V6 with the Audi engine ... no problem there.
Nah, I recently sold my 600 hp Audi V6

Old 01-04-2011, 09:01 PM
T2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 205 Likes on 48 Posts

Our 2004 Cayenne Turbo had them let go about three years ago (~110,000 miles) on a Friday night in a bad snow storm - recently had the pleasure of reliving it all over again - bad snow storm and the tee's on the back of the engine now let go (~205,000 miles) - in for service now - should be back to DY-NO-MITE (insert JJ Walker voice here) shortly.

T2 - continues to knock on wood!!
Old 01-04-2011, 09:06 PM
cab&coupe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by lnferno
My local Porsche dealer quoted me the following:

PARTS $842.00
LABOR $765.00

I'm thinking I could get the coolant pipe kit for even less at sunsetcoast for $530 which would bring the total to around $1300. That's not nearly as bad as I thought. I will likely get this done soon before it decides to do it without my authorization lol
You might want to check parts pricing at Sunset too.
Old 01-04-2011, 09:10 PM
lnferno
Advanced

Originally Posted by cab&coupe
You might want to check parts pricing at Sunset too.
Opposed to Sunset Coast?
Old 01-04-2011, 09:13 PM
cab&coupe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Here you go: http://www.sunsetimports.com/ They're in Portland, Oregon...
Old 01-04-2011, 09:33 PM
lnferno
Advanced

Originally Posted by cab&coupe
Here you go: http://www.sunsetimports.com/ They're in Portland, Oregon...
Too many Sunsets Good looking out! They were even less expensive than Sunset Coast's coolant kit. I just called sunset imports and they have the kit for $399! I can't believe how much the local dealers marked it up! ~$1200 including parts is not that bad at all relatively speaking for a pretty major repair.
Old 01-04-2011, 09:35 PM
seankrider
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by T2
Our 2004 Cayenne Turbo had them let go about three years ago (~110,000 miles) on a Friday night in a bad snow storm - recently had the pleasure of reliving it all over again - bad snow storm and the tee's on the back of the engine now let go (~205,000 miles) - in for service now - should be back to DY-NO-MITE (insert JJ Walker voice here) shortly.

T2 - continues to knock on wood!!
Uh, I'm almost afraid to ask... but when you say "in for service" I trust this is not a DIY for you. So why didn't they do the T's last time around?

While I feel your pain, I now am relieved that I spent the extra time to fight with those tees. Good tip from Firehawk I think to make sure I did them while in there. One tee alone took 80% of my entire coolant fix... I've still got it as a trophy in my garage.
Old 01-04-2011, 11:46 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by lnferno
What I'm curious about are the people that have proactively got the coolant lines replaced? My thinking is that if it's going to happen eventually, I'd rather get it done proactively, rather than waiting for it to happen and then potentially cause other problems indirectly (e.g. starter). I only have 27k miles on my 2006 Turbo S, but I'm not sure if its a matter of miles or age for the coolant lines to go. At this point, I'm more inclined to just bite the bullet and proactively get the job done. What are your thoughts?
I did it proactively on my '06 Turbo S. Did the work myself for poops and giggles with a parts kit that I got at a great price from Sunset in Oregon. Did the coils and new plugs proactively at the same time.

Truth is, the proactive element was secondary; primary reason was that I bored during winter.
Old 01-05-2011, 02:33 AM
quattrotman
Advanced

I had them changed as a condition when I bought my CS. I would've done them proactively though because of the damage he coolant can do to your starter and tranny seals if it decides to take a dump.
Old 01-05-2011, 01:02 PM
yeldogt
Rennlist Member

My 06 had a persistent slight smell of coolant for quite a while. I did have a very small leak at the water pump. They replaced the WP and a few "O" rings around the thermostat -- but I still thought I could smell something.

Even though multiple pressure tests proved negative for leaks -- they replaced the pipes under warranty when I spoke to the zone rep about my concern with taking the car on a long trip.
Old 01-05-2011, 01:45 PM
Brit6
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im in negociations to buy a 04 Turbo and i asked them to print the service records, the coils and drive shaft were changed but not the coolant pipes.

I was able to negociate the dealer into replacing them before i toke delivery of the Cayenne, i said there was no way i was touching a Cayenne V8 without the updated tubes.

Quick Reply: Coolant Pipes -- Who has been proactive?