Sponsored by:

Cayenne Engine Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2015, 11:42 PM
Joe100
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Corso
This may be a question for Flat6, but anyone else with an opinion please chime in. So what temp. is considered 'cold to the point of having to be concerned'?

My '03 CTT has spent its entire life in the southwest (NM), and while it may have seen a few cold snaps, it's nothing like what it will potentially see now in CT. My garage, while not heated, never gets terribly cold. I keep cases of water in the garage and even in the coldest of weather, they don't freeze. So I'm guessing that it never dips below 32*F, and if it does, not long enough to freeze water.
I'm in NC, and my 04 CS has always lived here. I'd be curious to know some opinions on this as well
Old 12-21-2015, 11:58 PM
mtnrat
Drifting

Received 549 Likes on 346 Posts

It has not happened to me yet. But for the life of me, why not have a block heater possibility, FFS. Might help prevent the issue???
Old 12-22-2015, 12:09 AM
reachme
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I got a new 1999 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer edition with upgunned Triton V8. It developed scored cylinders after about 80,000 miles and the dealer covered it under warranty with some pressure since it was a common issue, I was shocked.

I then got a new 2010 Honda Pilot EX V8 and at about 80,000 miles there was a well known issue where cylinders get scored and after some pressure the dealer stepped up and rebuilt the engine, I was less shocked.

Now I have an 04 Cayenne Turbo (used) and if the cylinders get scored I will get it fixed, I will not be shocked at all.
Old 12-22-2015, 01:10 AM
SimonBelgium
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TommyV
I'm having a PPI done in the morning on a 2008 CTT with 85k miles. It has lived around Seattle all its life. Should I insist on a bore scope of the cylinders?
Mine is /was a Seattle car
Old 12-22-2015, 11:14 AM
mclaudio
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
Email received. Busy week, we will get back with you ASAP. FYI- I have a 2008 and a 2012 here now, both with the same old bore scoring issue from cold weather. That's a fact.
Hi,

You asked previously about how long one is warming up the engine before driving. This made me curious: do you have any thoughts on how long you think one should let the engine idle before driving? Assume car is left outside overnight and ambient temp is just above freezing.

Also, do you think certain oil viscosity ranges would affect the scoring tendency?
Old 12-22-2015, 04:00 PM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by SimonBelgium
If it's been freezing, just the time to de-ice the windows, so a minute or 2. If not, pretty much 0 time (Which is what "they" tell everyone to do).

The engine sounded fine when I left work, when I pulled of the highway 5 miles from home it started making that weird sound. Think of when you were a kid and used to put a playing card between the spokes of our bikes because it sounded cool. Really loud by the way. No early warnings, no lights on the dash or anything, engine temps all fine and dandy, just a lot of noise.

I'm waiting to hear back if Porsche USA is going to man up and pay me something, and if not, if my dealer is. Should be today or tomorrow. Hope to hear back from you by then so I can ship it to GA.

So bummed right now

When my '05 suffered scored cylinders, it started as a tick when cold then went away when it warmed up. Later, it sounded like a quiet diesel when cold then quietened when warm. I had four scored cylinders.

When my CPO warranty expired I checked on an aftermarket warranty. It is clear why they wanted $12k for a one-year warranty.
Old 01-13-2016, 09:13 PM
RT930turbo
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

Well guys, just joined the club. 2008 Turbo with 122k. I spoke with Jud at Flat6 and while their product is clearly the superior solution, the 11-12 month lead time probably isn't going to work. The cayenne is my wifey's unit and she absolutely loves it. When I told her we should wait, and have Jake's team do it she wasn't too keen on the idea.

"You rebuild everybody else's engines, why won't you do mine."

So it looks like I'll be tackling this as well. Leaning towards the 928motorsports / us Chrome solution. I couldn't find anything on LN's website about cayenne block repair??

Strangely looking forward to the project, the last "oddball" engine I did was a 3.0 4V Ferrari V8.... that was a piece of cake compared to this beast
Old 01-13-2016, 09:22 PM
Dan87951
Nordschleife Master

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by RT930turbo
Well guys, just joined the club. 2008 Turbo with 122k. I spoke with Jud at Flat6 and while their product is clearly the superior solution, the 11-12 month lead time probably isn't going to work. The cayenne is my wifey's unit and she absolutely loves it. When I told her we should wait, and have Jake's team do it she wasn't too keen on the idea.

"You rebuild everybody else's engines, why won't you do mine."

So it looks like I'll be tackling this as well. Leaning towards the 928motorsports / us Chrome solution. I couldn't find anything on LN's website about cayenne block repair??

Strangely looking forward to the project, the last "oddball" engine I did was a 3.0 4V Ferrari V8.... that was a piece of cake compared to this beast
Is your Cayenne stock or has it been modified? Sorry for your loss! Think of this as a good time to add some HP, as if it needs it.
Old 01-13-2016, 09:26 PM
RT930turbo
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dan87951
Is your Cayenne stock or has it been modified? Sorry for your loss! Think of this as a good time to add some HP, as if it needs it.
It's bone stock. Always inside a heated garage....until yesterday. Wife got it stuck in the driveway (since I've been slacking on putting winter rubber on) When I got home I started it after it was cold soaked to 0*F and it sounded like a worn out 7.3 diesel. By the time I got it up the hill to the house I had a dead lung, and terrible blow-by out the oil cap.

But yes, Faster is always better
Old 01-13-2016, 09:39 PM
Doug_B_928
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

It's bone stock. Always inside a heated garage....until yesterday. Wife got it stuck in the driveway (since I've been slacking on putting winter rubber on) When I got home I started it after it was cold soaked to 0*F and it sounded like a worn out 7.3 diesel. By the time I got it up the hill to the house I had a dead lung, and terrible blow-by out the oil cap.

But yes, Faster is always better
I'm very sorry to hear this. My stomach turns a little bit every time someone new chimes in with this problem. For how long was it sitting out in the cold?

Since it sounds like you have a lot of experience rebuilding engines, any chance you will document the whole procedure? For those who can't afford a flat6 rebuild, and who don't have the background, it would be really helpful to have a detailed procedural write-up from start (engine removal and disassembly) to finish. 928 Motorsports wants the block completely stripped down and many of us (myself included) wouldn't know the specifics how to properly do that, not to mention using all of the correct techniques for reassembly. But with highly detailed instructions, most of us could probably do it.
Old 01-13-2016, 10:10 PM
SimonBelgium
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm having a used engine installed, as that was the only timely option for me.
Anyone interested in the old engine? It should be quite complete (long block) with some accessories (Depends what will be on my incoming engine). Ideal for someone who wants to build a 5.1 for instance
Engine has 102K on it, and was a 2010 Cayenne S 4.8

It'll be at Porsche of Bellevue (WA) in a week or 2 at the most. Offers via PM
Old 01-14-2016, 01:25 PM
RT930turbo
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Doug_B_928
I'm very sorry to hear this. My stomach turns a little bit every time someone new chimes in with this problem. For how long was it sitting out in the cold?

Since it sounds like you have a lot of experience rebuilding engines, any chance you will document the whole procedure? For those who can't afford a flat6 rebuild, and who don't have the background, it would be really helpful to have a detailed procedural write-up from start (engine removal and disassembly) to finish. 928 Motorsports wants the block completely stripped down and many of us (myself included) wouldn't know the specifics how to properly do that, not to mention using all of the correct techniques for reassembly. But with highly detailed instructions, most of us could probably do it.
It was out in the cold and wind at 0* for a day. plenty long enough to cold soak. I will do my best to document the process, and share what I can.
Old 01-14-2016, 02:37 PM
Doug_B_928
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

It was out in the cold and wind at 0* for a day. plenty long enough to cold soak. I will do my best to document the process, and share what I can.
This is such a strange phenomenon. 0F is -17C. That's a typical daily high in the winter up here. There must be some other intervening variable for catastrophic failures like this. I, and others, greatly appreciate your willingness to do your best to document the procedure; that will help many in the future.
Old 01-15-2016, 12:55 PM
Carl Fausett
Developer

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

We believe that the engine castings left the casting plant and went to several different subcontractors to be bored and honed. It seems all met spec, but those from machine shop A were in the center of the range and those from machine shop B were on the loose side of the spec.

Then the engines were built and installed... other variables include oils used and oil change frequency, ambient temps encountered, driver style (start and drive or let it warm up before driving), towing or not towing, and of course, mileage on the motor.

I think, even if your Cayenne was bored at machine shop B, you may also never have an issue. Maybe you live in a warm climate. maybe yours is lower mileage. maybe you never tow with your SUV, whatever.

What we DO know is that by changing the alloy of the pistons and the manufacturing method to forged, and by Nikasiling the block, we stop the problem. Its a permanent correction. Its been working out very well. I'm repairing two Cayenne engines right now.

For those that want to see the webpage on this topic, it is here
http://www.928motorsports.com/servic...ock_repair.php
Old 01-15-2016, 01:17 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,290 Likes on 902 Posts

I have identified the bank 2 issues as being related to piston offset more than anything else. Bank 1 has a perfect offset, in the proper direction, bank 2 doesn't fit that characteristic.
I concur, that alterations of piston material, running clearances, and applying Nikisil is a permanent solution to the issue. I have developed an engine program for another company that plans to stock these updated/ replacement engines in long block form later in 2016, with the aforementioned enhancements incorporated. That should give the owners another choice, and its clear that they need one.

Quick Reply: Cayenne Engine Replacement