Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche introduces Cayenne GTS at Frankfurt Auto Show

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2007, 01:33 PM
rome
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will there be a AWD version of the Panamera?

Inquiring minds want to know.
Old 09-07-2007, 01:36 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,050 Likes on 1,230 Posts

Common you make it sound like Porsche is the only manufacturer who does this, they all do. It is a common business practice amongst auto manufacturers.

Why is it that everything Porsche comes out with has to be 100% new and improved vs a slight twist as most manufacturers do. So what if the TTS was nothing more than a revamped TT with some bolt on parts. It is still a nice vehicle.
Old 09-07-2007, 01:40 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by rome
Ask Dr. W and the Executive Committee.
It exists and is driving around, but then again, so was the RWD version of the Cayenne.
Old 09-07-2007, 01:45 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by cobalt
Common you make it sound like Porsche is the only manufacturer who does this, they all do. It is a common business practice amongst auto manufacturers..
Agreed, but it was not always the case, to this level, with Porsche. Dr W and Toyota accelerated it.

Originally Posted by cobalt
Why is it that everything Porsche comes out with has to be 100% new and improved vs a slight twist as most manufacturers do. So what if the TTS was nothing more than a revamped TT with some bolt on parts. It is still a nice vehicle.
Nice vehicle....perhaps.
Some people would argue that CTTS is different from a CTT X51, but let's not open THAT can of worms again.

It is personally frustrating/depressing to see Marketing completely run the company and Engineering take a complete back seat in virtually all decisions.

It is truly a much different company than it once was and I guess that some people (no names please) just can't quite accept the reality of the situation.
Then again, some people (no names please) actually cried the day the person who made the wooden floorboards retired. How can you drive a 911 without a wooden floor board?

Oh well, it is what it is, there is NO going back.
Old 09-07-2007, 02:05 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ltc
Agreed, but it was not always the case, to this level, with Porsche. Dr W and Toyota accelerated it.

Nice vehicle....perhaps.
Some people would argue that CTTS is different from a CTT X51, but let's not open THAT can of worms again.

It is personally frustrating/depressing to see Marketing completely run the company and Engineering take a complete back seat in virtually all decisions.

It is truly a much different company than it once was and I guess that some people (no names please) just can't quite accept the reality of the situation.
Then again, some people (no names please) actually cried the day the person who made the wooden floorboards retired. How can you drive a 911 without a wooden floor board?

Oh well, it is what it is, there is NO going back.
I won't argue with you there and I agree there are not many new Porsche's I like for these reasons. Although the GT3 and GT3RS ain't to shabby. Many things changed the company and I still feel that it all came to a head in the mid 90's. The 90's cars are still my favorite but the Cayenne is not bad for what it is and serves a purpose no other SUV type vehicle can for me.

Modern technologies have their pros and cons. I for one noticed a similar throttle response issue in the DBW of my new 08 Avalanche today. A little disheartening but I knew how to compensate for it from driving my CT. When you think about the cost of the Avalanche vs the cost of a Cayenne we are on about the same page and although the Avalanche is a nice vehicle I still like the Cayenne better.

Eventually this has to lead somewhere although we can never make Porsche the company it once was it is still around and that was something that could have easily gone the other direction if the changes we are complaining about today never came to be.
Old 09-07-2007, 04:49 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice. I'm shallow and easily entertained, therefore I like it.

But I really, really wish for a Cayman GTS w/ 405BHP and 368FPT. Now THAT would give me a chubby.
Old 09-07-2007, 05:11 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by JohnnyBahamas
Nice. I'm shallow and easily entertained, therefore I like it.

But I really, really wish for a Cayman GTS w/ 405BHP and 368FPT. Now THAT would give me a chubby.
Here you go:

http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dl...7&Profile=1041

http://www.europeancarweb.com/featur...gtr/index.html

Or if you prefer Ruf:
http://www.rufautocentre.com/conversions/CaymanS.asp

Now put it back in your pants now, please
Old 09-07-2007, 05:15 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ltc
The FL car in the article was at one of our monthly meetings, they tried to claim it was a prototype but what a crude machine. very rough workmanship and for the price Forget about it. Porsche is up in arms over them making it and with all the F'ups I know of that they have done I would not buy their product.

Go for the Ruf you know it has to be good.
Old 09-07-2007, 05:45 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
Wow! I've been living in a cave. Thanks for the Ruf link. Living at altitude I'd choose the boosted Ruf conversion.

... though I'm not wearing any pants...
Old 09-07-2007, 05:48 PM
ozr
Racer

Talking

Originally Posted by rome

...as I've posted before... here...
https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-955-957-2003-2010/369412-panamera-vs-cayenne-engine-sound.html

...repost:

..reported:

The Panamera will be launched as a rear-drive model with two V8 engines; both direct-injection versions of Porsche's 4.8, they will come in naturally aspirated 400bhp and turbocharged 500bhp forms in 2009 and as 300bhp 3.6-litre V6 sourced from VW in 2010, while the range-topping hybrid version comes in 2011.

...At around 1800kg, this is no lightweight car but it's only 200kg heavier, than a 911 Turbo, equal BMW M5 and 400kg lighter than CayenneTT, and muscular engines will ensure electrifying performance. The PanameraTT is claimed to be capable of 190mph and 0-100km/h in 4.2sec. 400bhp Panamera V8 will blast to 175mph and be as quick as a 911 Carrera with the fuel economy of the cheapest Boxster.

Four-wheel drive version is coming in 2010, seven-speed dual-clutch transmissions supplied by ZF , composite brakes (PCCB) and active dampers (PASM)...

OZRacing
Old 09-08-2007, 01:29 AM
charlieXS
Pro

I'm waiting for the Porsche Pick-Up truck
Old 09-08-2007, 03:14 PM
ozr
Racer

Talking

...IMHO, Cayenne GTS is an attempt by PORSCHE AG to avoid embarrassment to rebuff MB new ML 550 offering, which just removes comparable CayenneS clothes...similar engine power in new ML550 propels it 0-60 ml/h in 5.6 sec, ALMOST A SECOND faster, than the comparable CayenneS08...PORSCHE AG just tries to recover Olymp in this category...

...Cayenne GTS announces 0-60 ml/h, as 5.7 manual, 6.1 tip...

...also IMHO, Cayenne GTS is an attempt to move Cayenne V8 prices UP and minimize sale discounts to maximize profits...

One may think of it as another iteration of Tit.S - Tit.S with Grand Tit$...

Cayenne GTS= Cayenne Grand Tit$

OZRacing
Old 09-08-2007, 03:15 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

As has been so eloquently state before, it's still "lipstick on a pig"
Old 09-08-2007, 03:22 PM
charlieXS
Pro

Just one question... why not a 600hp TT RWD model with PASM, PDCC, the whole boat for like $110k??
Old 09-08-2007, 05:59 PM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by ozr
...IMHO, Cayenne GTS is an attempt by PORSCHE AG to avoid embarrassment to rebuff MB new ML 550 offering, which just removes comparable CayenneS clothes...similar engine power in new ML550 propels it 0-60 ml/h in 5.6 sec, ALMOST A SECOND faster, than the comparable CayenneS08...PORSCHE AG just tries to recover Olymp in this category...

...Cayenne GTS announces 0-60 ml/h, as 5.7 manual, 6.1 tip...

...also IMHO, Cayenne GTS is an attempt to move Cayenne V8 prices UP and minimize sale discounts to maximize profits...

One may think of it as another iteration of Tit.S - Tit.S with Grand Tit$...

Cayenne GTS= Cayenne Grand Tit$

OZRacing
The GTS may steal sales from potential CTT buyers as it has the exact same look, only slightly slower speed, but at a better entry price. I think it is a wrong move for Porsche to re-use the CTT bumper in order to save money. I anticipate that the CTT sales will go down.

Quick Reply: Porsche introduces Cayenne GTS at Frankfurt Auto Show