Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2007, 07:02 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Targa Tim
The GTS may steal sales from potential CTT buyers as it has the exact same look, only slightly slower speed, but at a better entry price. I think it is a wrong move for Porsche to re-use the CTT bumper in order to save money. I anticipate that the CTT sales will go down.
Will go down?
I'm not quite sure how to break this to you....they already have. Hence the decision to use up excess inventory by creating a new badge variant.

It's pretty much a foregone conclusion that the days of the Cayenne cash cow (cow....how appropriate) are at an end. It's now the Panamera's turn to give milk.

Ironic. Dr W. scared the Porsche faithful into a panic by mentioning the possibility that without the Cayenne and other "new" Porsches, the company may actually fold (or be bought out), and take the beloved 911 with it.
In fact, Porsche is now about to own the very companies (VAG) that it feared.
Old 09-08-2007, 11:24 PM
M491
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc

Ironic. Dr W. scared the Porsche faithful into a panic by mentioning the possibility that without the Cayenne and other "new" Porsches, the company may actually fold (or be bought out), and take the beloved 911 with it..
I always found it odd that the World's Most Profitable car company was making that argument.

And even more surprising that people accepted that nonsense without so much as a blink.
Old 09-09-2007, 11:20 AM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Fwiw, I really like the Cayenne GTS concept. I'd love a powerful 6 speed Cayenne.
Old 09-09-2007, 12:36 PM
Onami
Rennlist Member

Received 849 Likes on 530 Posts

Very nice...although I prefer the standard front fascia...
Old 09-09-2007, 02:54 PM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
Will go down?
I'm not quite sure how to break this to you....they already have. Hence the decision to use up excess inventory by creating a new badge variant.

It's pretty much a foregone conclusion that the days of the Cayenne cash cow (cow....how appropriate) are at an end. It's now the Panamera's turn to give milk.

Ironic. Dr W. scared the Porsche faithful into a panic by mentioning the possibility that without the Cayenne and other "new" Porsches, the company may actually fold (or be bought out), and take the beloved 911 with it.
In fact, Porsche is now about to own the very companies (VAG) that it feared.
That's good news for me! My CTT will become "exclusive" and will retain its resale value better than a 997 GT3 RS...BTW, I like it being a cow than a pig.
Old 09-09-2007, 04:59 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Cayennes (re: rebadged Touaregs) will never be "exclusive". They were an overproduced commodity, designed and built against a marketing plan. Even the "exclusive" Turbo S depreciates the same as the V6 (which has the least Porsche content of any Cayenne).

GTS = Cayenne S + Turbo nose + V6 6 speed manual transmission.....yeah, that's a keeper.

I can't wait to see the reaction the hybrid gets; I already hate it, but for different reasons than most.
Old 09-10-2007, 12:58 PM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ltc
Cayennes (re: rebadged Touaregs) will never be "exclusive". They were an overproduced commodity, designed and built against a marketing plan. Even the "exclusive" Turbo S depreciates the same as the V6 (which has the least Porsche content of any Cayenne).

GTS = Cayenne S + Turbo nose + V6 6 speed manual transmission.....yeah, that's a keeper.

I can't wait to see the reaction the hybrid gets; I already hate it, but for different reasons than most.
Why is your response so serious? Where is your sense of humor? Did something bad happened to you? Did you just purchase a new Cayenne?
Old 09-10-2007, 04:04 PM
SciFrog
Racer

Any thought on switching an 04 TT for one of these GTS thing?
Old 09-10-2007, 04:21 PM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SciFrog
Any thought on switching an 04 TT for one of these GTS thing?
The GTS will be slower than any CTT, and its standard steel suspension, lower ride height and 21" wheels will definitely offer a much less comfortable ride. Unless someone is dying to have a 6 speed SUV, I think the trade will end up in disappointment.
Old 09-11-2007, 02:14 AM
JW3
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wish everyone could have a Cayenne as good as mine is - maybe the threads would read quite differently these days. I am sure this new GTS will be very good and do very well. I know I will be looking very seriously at adding one to my inventory.
Old 09-11-2007, 10:43 AM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JW3
I wish everyone could have a Cayenne as good as mine is - maybe the threads would read quite differently these days. I am sure this new GTS will be very good and do very well. I know I will be looking very seriously at adding one to my inventory.
Hey Johnnie! Hope all is well in der mudderland.

I couldn't agree more... while my Beta was glitchy it was still a blast to drive and ultimately I decided to trade for another Cayenne because I felt they were "fixed".... with nearly 17K on my 06Tit.S - it is bulletproof to date.... I have still not gone to the dealer since buying it last October other than to pick-up a converter for my Uhaul experience last week. I'm scheduled for oil change tomorrow (doing it 5K early) and then getting them to rotate and balance with Hunter machine (Costco didn't have one) all the wheels. But, alas, the forum wouldn't exist if we didn't have problems to discuss.
Old 09-11-2007, 11:02 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,050 Likes on 1,230 Posts

Originally Posted by JW3
+2

After contemplating switching my 04 CT for an 06CTS I decided to keep my CT as I do my other Porsche's, for as long as they still serve my needs. Other than some minor issues the 04 has been flawless with far fewer issues than any American made car I have owned. This spring she will be getting the complete TTS upgrade with a few extras. New BOV's, exhaust, ECU upgrade, filters and brakes. For the price of the upgrades vs the depreciation loss I am better off. I don't plan on selling it any time soon so why not. It is a great vehicle and now that it is getting older is more part of the collection than just transportation.
Old 09-11-2007, 02:22 PM
racer_65
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
Yawn......

Yet another "rebadging" conceived and executed by PAG Marketing.
Judging by the overall positive responses both here and at other forums, the CTS has at a minimum created more interest in the Cayenne. It goes to show that there's no need to re-invent the wheel. Put the right combination of equipment and color scheme together, and you can create a new interpretation of the same car. Isn't this what a lot of us are doing ourselves anyways? I think the factory effort is superb, as usual. Despite competition from the various tuners out there, the factory puts out a nice package with the aerokit and the wheels that more than hold its own.
Old 09-12-2007, 09:12 PM
ngfan
Instructor

Sat in a CTS at IAA today (red one). It looks fine, only really improvement in interior are the sports seats (new leather/alcantara combo), that are more contured than the "standard" sport seats. Feels much much better now.
Old 09-12-2007, 09:41 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ngfan
Sat in a CTS at IAA today (red one). It looks fine, only really improvement in interior are the sports seats (new leather/alcantara combo), that are more contured than the "standard" sport seats. Feels much much better now.
We need a driving report.

How do you live with 21" wheels in the real world, btw? Wouldn't one be bending wheels everyday?

Quick Reply: Porsche introduces Cayenne GTS at Frankfurt Auto Show