Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

COOLANT TUBE INSIDE PLENUM CRACKED??

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2006, 05:05 PM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default COOLANT TUBE INSIDE PLENUM CRACKED??

Well have a coolant leak and was told that it is a coolant tube from the front to back of the engine INSIDE the intake plenum and ah they have to PULL THE ENGINE to fix it!!
Anyone ever heard of that before?????????????

tom
Old 09-19-2006, 06:02 PM
99firehawk
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

yep they are not lieing, is it under warrenty?
the coolant tubes under the intake split.
You have to pull the engine becuase the front of the tube goes in the block
the rear of the tube goes in the cross over housing bolted to the back of the engine not feaseable
inside the car to take it off
Old 09-19-2006, 10:57 PM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

thanks for the reply. car is not warrantied any more. why would something like that happen???

thanks again for the info
Old 09-19-2006, 11:18 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Tom. I have a similar question on mine the engine cross brace torque mount snapped.
Old 09-19-2006, 11:59 PM
Vino
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tom,

Was there any coolant on the ground, where exactly did you spot the leak coming from?

I ask because we just took our Cayenne in for a low coolant light, they fill it up with about "cough" 1 gallon of antifreeze.

Reason was sometimes they have an air bulbble and burp, I told the service rep that it was one hell of a burp and was a bit concerned.

Anyway, let me know how they found this issue as I am still under warranty and to pull the engine could be interesting to fix such an issue.
Old 09-20-2006, 08:57 AM
99firehawk
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Ive seen a few do that, no reason why pipes just zippered open. have to dissassemble the rear of the motor to change the pipes engine has to be taken out of the car to do so. Usually you find the leak by the sudden rush of 2-4 gallons of steaming coolant running down the back of the drivers side head. Just becasue theres a gallon billed out doesnt mean it needed a gallon, they would need to bill out a whole gallon to get one from parts it may have only needed half a gallon
Some times they do have an air bubble, i cant explain it porsche cant either.
tom if you have a decent relationship with the dealer and buy your cars there id try for some assistance
Old 09-20-2006, 10:12 AM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tkerrmd
Well have a coolant leak and was told that it is a coolant tube from the front to back of the engine INSIDE the intake plenum and ah they have to PULL THE ENGINE to fix it!! Anyone ever heard of that before????????????? tom
Hey Tom: ouch.. naked like me.. okay, I'm getting concerned here.. what led up to the condition and what do they estimate the cost??

As you may know, I just had the cardan shaft issue and the dealer and PAG split it and it didn't cost me anything.. they did this because I have had all my service work done there and even bought my tires through them because of the vibration/shimmy for 30K plus miles and wanted them to do alignments/balance and not blame a tire store.. so, my point is that I would be pushing my dealer to eat some of it as you've been a good customer and like the cardan shaft .. it shouldn't happen at the mileage levels you and I are at.. I'm over 70K miles now, how about you?

Last question.. I got a coolant level low light for the first time a few weeks ago.. they just topped it off.. however in 3+ years I have never previously had the light go off .. in the summer, you'd expect with the amount of heat generated by this V8 for it to vent some.. so question is of course, did you get low level coolant level a few times before it broke??

these expensive problems post warranty are making me concerned about how much longer to keep "das beast"? comments anyone? mudman?

Thanks, Your naked cohort.
Old 09-20-2006, 10:59 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

I'm confused. How is an 04 not still under warranty?
Old 09-20-2006, 11:17 AM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LVDell
I'm confused. How is an 04 not still under warranty?
In my case, my 04S was purchased in May 2003... so it could be under warranty for another year if I hadn't driven 70,000 miles.. warranty is 4 years 50K miles.. oh, and I tried to protect myself too 100K because of the alpha/beta model issues with a 10 year BBB web assured ext. warranty company that was seized by the state of Hawaii... so I'm NAKED .. thank you "5-Oh" the idiot insurance commissioner from Hawaii.. I get to make a claim on my $3800 warranty that I never used.. but insurance commission seizure is the equivalent to Chapter 7 liquidation.. uh......... salt in a wound.. bitter.. .who me??? ha!?!? pass the kool-aid.
Old 09-20-2006, 11:20 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Damn, I really need another cup-o-joe before I start posting

Forgot about the 50 part of the 4/50.
Old 09-20-2006, 11:22 AM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Damn, I really need another cup-o-joe before I start posting Forgot about the 50 part of the 4/50.
I'm at Panera Bread waiting for traffic to clear.. and I filled up on the java! No problem.. but I'm beginning to believe that naked alpha/beta cayenne ownership is an oxymoron.
Old 09-20-2006, 11:24 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Naked is not a good thing....I agree.

I will trading my 05 in 21 months when the lease is up. The next Pepper will be a 05/06 TT with remaining warranty and CPO.
Old 09-20-2006, 11:40 AM
yetis
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Naked is not a good thing....I agree.

I will trading my 05 in 21 months when the lease is up. The next Pepper will be a 05/06 TT with remaining warranty and CPO.
Dell, couldn't agree more . Though I am feeling a little naked without a 99_ something right now.
Old 09-20-2006, 11:42 AM
phaedrus242
Instructor

Tom, this is important. THE ENGINE DOES NOT HAVE TO COME OUT. I have done this exact repair and it can be done in the car. Ask them what the warranty time for this repair is. It is difficult the first time, but should not be impossible. Don't pay to have the engine taken out. PM me if you'd like more details.
Old 09-20-2006, 12:43 PM
hk_usp9f
Instructor

phaedrus242,

For the sake of everyone whole will go naked eventually, can you give us a general idea of what the workaround is?

Not too detailed but enough to give a competent mechanic an idea of the procedure.

Thanks in advance.

Quick Reply: COOLANT TUBE INSIDE PLENUM CRACKED??