Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

COOLANT TUBE INSIDE PLENUM CRACKED??

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2006, 01:34 PM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

thanks all! My car has 60k on it and off warranty. This was found at my 60k service that was "routine" the mechanic noted coolant leaking on the tranny causing corrosion, I never had a low coolant level.
Must admit that 1 week after warranty my drive shaft also went and they replaced it for free!!!

Well havent posted on this site in a while and I love my cay but ahhh the 60k check showed a "few" other things also!!!................the front A arm fluid filled bushings are leaking and need replaced for $700, the left rear window leaks, repair...$..?
Plugs and 60k cost $1400...............so I figure around 5k to get this thing out of the dealer!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry guys!
Attached Images    
Old 09-20-2006, 02:48 PM
phaedrus242
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The intake needs to come completley off, but it can be done with the engine and trans in. It is not an easy job, but a compotent dealer tech should be able to get it done. There is a warranty code for this repair. It doesn't pay well at all, and these have just started showing up. The dealer may not even be aware of the correct procedure.
Old 09-20-2006, 04:14 PM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

thanks I'll check!!
Old 09-20-2006, 10:07 PM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Follow up...............my dealer comes through again!!!! PCNA rep reviewed situation, engine pulled and fixed and my bill was only for $750 rest covered on good will by my loyal dealer!!!!! Way better than the thousands I was initially quoted.

tom
Old 09-21-2006, 12:16 AM
99firehawk
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

good to here
you should put up a post about how good porsceh took care of you to counter all the porsche sucks threads
Old 09-21-2006, 01:14 AM
PTEC
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by phaedrus242
The intake needs to come completley off, but it can be done with the engine and trans in. It is not an easy job, but a compotent dealer tech should be able to get it done. There is a warranty code for this repair. It doesn't pay well at all, and these have just started showing up. The dealer may not even be aware of the correct procedure.
And that op code would be.....
Old 09-21-2006, 11:57 AM
PORSCHEFIXXR
Cruisin'

all,
if you want any job done correctly (i.e. bolts and screws torqued properly, old gaskets removed properly, no clips broken, new parts installed properly, job done right sort of thing...)
the job must be completed like the book says to...in this case, engine should come out!!
if it were my cayenne, being that i know the correct procedure, i would want to be SURE that they
pulled the engine and didn't screw anything up trying to speed through procedure...just a thought.
Old 09-21-2006, 12:30 PM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PORSCHEFIXXR
all, if you want any job done correctly (i.e. bolts and screws torqued properly, old gaskets removed properly, no clips broken, new parts installed properly, job done right sort of thing...) the job must be completed like the book says to...in this case, engine should come out!!
if it were my cayenne, being that i know the correct procedure, i would want to be SURE that they pulled the engine and didn't screw anything up trying to speed through procedure...just a thought.
AGREE. The question is can that all be accomplished without pulling it and still be "correct".

I also agree with the positives to your dealer Tom, as I said in many a thread.. without the dealer that I have had, I would have given up on the Cayenne. Mine also did what your's did on the cardan shaft.. PCNA picked up 50% and then my dealer's (and as I've said, I've done everything at the dealer and they are not overly expensive compared to tire shops, etc.) GM ended up "eating" the rest. So, to be fair my dealer is Tom Williams in Birmingham.. and Tom's your's be ----------------------
Old 09-21-2006, 12:54 PM
PORSCHEFIXXR
Cruisin'

"correct" to me, means that when i am done with a repair and about to turn the key to start the
vehicle, i am none less than 100% sure that what i've just done is done right and will not fail due to my workmanship...
if you've ever analyzed the idea of not pulling the engine (like i have), and looked at the small space
and tight quarters with which you have to work, you may not intend on failing or breaking anything,
but the probability of anything negative happening is very much increased.
think of it from a tech's perspective...what if you shortcut the job and fold a gasket on accident...or even scrape it deeply. upon starting the car, you see fluid leaking. now back up in the air goes the cayenne, and out comes the engine to be done right. that is a risk i am unwilling to take.
now you get to to the job for free that you could have done right the first time.
there are those that have done this successfully to my knowledge, but it is nothing more than a risk.
again, if i'm the cayenne owner, i say, do mine by the book and torque everything right. don't hack through my car so i can save a couple bucks.
Old 09-21-2006, 01:40 PM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

"correct" to me, means that when i am done with a repair and about to turn the key to start the
vehicle, i am none less than 100% sure that what i've just done is done right and will not fail due to my workmanship...
if you've ever analyzed the idea of not pulling the engine (like i have), and looked at the small space
and tight quarters with which you have to work, you may not intend on failing or breaking anything,
think of it from a tech's perspective...what if you shortcut the job and fold a gasket on accident...or even scrape it deeply. upon starting the car, you see fluid leaking. now back up in the air goes the cayenne, and out comes the engine to be done right. that is a risk i am unwilling to take.
now you get to to the job for free that you could have done right the first time.
there are those that have done this successfully to my knowledge, but it is nothing more than a risk.
again, if i'm the cayenne owner, i say, do mine by the book and torque everything right. don't hack through my car so i can save a couple bucks.
all good points.. but not being a tech who works on a Porsche, I'm not sure what is entailed in the end to accomplish the goal.. if one can be careful and accomplish the goal then save the time and do it ... but I think you'll agree .. you can pull the engine and make the same mistakes.. I'd say the risk is on the dealer if they try the shortcuts.. I know I wouldn't pay for a second attempt if a first attempt failed.. tomahtoe.. tomato.. but again still good points.. thanks for the insight.
Old 09-21-2006, 02:02 PM
99firehawk
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i agree
Old 09-21-2006, 05:40 PM
phaedrus242
Instructor

Tom,
Glad to hear about some one stepping up to the plate for you. As it's a message board, these things often don't get reported and only the bad stuff gets through. It casts a possibley undeserved bad impression on Porsche and their dealer network. Maybe I'm optimistic, but i believe there are a lot more good, hard-working service folks out there than there are hacks.

PTEC-
check PM.
Old 09-21-2006, 11:33 PM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

My dealer is Reeves in Tampa. I personally have heard good and bad about them. I try not to judge anyone or thing on what people say until I give them a chance first hand. My dealer has always supported and taken care of me. They know I track my cars hard and often (yes the cayenne too!) and they have never let me down and always picked up MORE than their fair share!
I blew the tranny in my 996TT and they pulled it apart under warranty, it obviously was "abused" according to porsche standards in their books, they still greatly helped me with the cost, and it was done right.

Back on thread topic. I had been told by several mechanics the job could be done without pulling the engine and that they had done it. I felt the same way, pull the engine and do it right. Although the pulling the engine certainly statistically opens up a real can of worms!
Anyway when I went by to check on my cay the job was being done and couldnt help but noticing the engine was in. The head mechanic said he was 100% confident he could do the job correctly and no short cuts would be taken. I kinda felt a little better the engine was left in place.
Sorry this was a long post.....bottom line cay fixed properly and at minimal cost to me, thank you Reeves of Tampa Bay!!
Old 10-14-2007, 02:31 PM
Tool Pants
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was told by a mechanic at my dealership that they are seeing a lot of these cracked tubes.

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index...howtopic=16474
Old 10-14-2007, 08:47 PM
Nexus 6
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 99firehawk
yep they are not lieing, is it under warrenty?
the coolant tubes under the intake split.
You have to pull the engine becuase the front of the tube goes in the block
the rear of the tube goes in the cross over housing bolted to the back of the engine not feaseable
inside the car to take it off
Running to pull out my extended warranty paperwork to check to see if I have "Coolant problems" coverage...BRB!

Quick Reply: COOLANT TUBE INSIDE PLENUM CRACKED??