Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2006, 10:22 PM
Michael S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Turn Signal Problems

Hello All,

Has anyone had issues with their front turn signals? I lost one yesterday... got the dreaded ! saying something about "Please check directional signals", or something like that. My left front signal was out, so I assumed a blown bulb, right? So, off to the autoparts store this afternoon... replaced the bulb... still no turn signal.

Checked the bulb with a 12V power supply and it works fine... all connections seem secure... WTFO??

Any suggestions? I guess I'll call my stealership tomorrow and schedule an appointment... If the wife didn't love this truck so much...
Old 08-09-2006, 11:19 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 941 Likes on 572 Posts

Mine's been doing just that ( left front signal) off and on for the last few weeks. Luckily I hadn't gotten around to replacing the bulb when it fixed itself, temporarily, only to do it again tonight on the way home from dinner... already had the "check dipped beam" deal fixed a year or so ago with no problems till recently. Seems more common after rain or washing the vehicle so it must be some connection to the front headlight assembly. This was discussed here (with at thread started by me) a couple weeks ago... off to our dealer next week I guess...
Old 08-10-2006, 03:09 AM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

The whole headlite assembly is so not titely clipped on to connector that if loose will register that. I was surprised how easy to pop off the front headlites(wonder why xenon 996 headlites get stolen). If its intermittent that's whats causing it. Mine did it for awhile and finally short circuited the whole headlite assembly thus new replacement under warranty. Have dealer find a away of making headlite more securely fastened. Other then that I luv this car and wifey too : ). Mike
Old 08-10-2006, 09:41 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-955-957-2003-2010/231534-check-dipped-bean-x-2-a.html
Old 08-10-2006, 09:42 AM
Shamus
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
Well known and documented problem, has been around since day 1. It has been discussed in this forum before, so I'll not repeat the technical details behind it.

Simply put, you have a bulb connector that is of marginal design and material selection that is subject to both intermittent contact and corrosion/oxidation of the bulb contacts.
If the contacts can not be cleaned/repositioned, then the fix is to simply replace the connector.
Damn lewis you are fast!
Old 08-10-2006, 09:44 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by 996FLT6
The whole headlite assembly is so not titely clipped on to connector that if loose will register that.
Attached Images  
Old 08-10-2006, 09:45 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-955-957-2003-2010/288766-intermittent-blinker-malfunction.html
Old 08-10-2006, 09:46 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Shamus
Damn lewis you are fast!
I've had years of practice ducking into a phone booth, changing into my tights and cape........
Old 08-10-2006, 03:24 PM
Michael S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Damn Guys... You guys are good! I've been reading this forum for a good while now, but I missed the headlights threads... Thanks for not giving me the "Do a search, dummy!" response! Looks like I've got some reading to do...

I Love This Place!
Old 08-10-2006, 04:08 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Michael S.
Thanks for not giving me the "Do a search, dummy!" response!
Likely due to the fact that you own a "proper" Porsche....

Definition: "It's not a Porsche unless it's got an air cooled engine stuck up its ***"

Looks like I've got some reading to do...
Owning a Cayenne, I would say you have some drinking to do......MadFox is the official forum bartender and keeper of the (adult) Purplesaurus Rex recipes.

I Love This Place!
Old 08-13-2006, 11:35 PM
skl
Rennlist Member

Took out the headlight- bulb of course is fine. Put it back in and it works fine now... wonder for how long...
Old 08-13-2006, 11:45 PM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
... changing into my tights and cape........

Ahhh, That explains the high-pitched voice!
Old 08-13-2006, 11:49 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by skl
Took out the headlight- bulb of course is fine. Put it back in and it works fine now... wonder for how long...
Dear (fill in the blank name):
We here at PAG would like to once again take this opportunity to thank you for the purchase of your VW...damn, where is the delete key.....I mean Porsche vehicle.

Based on extensive customer feedback, marketing focus groups, 24/7 monitoring of Porsche internet forums (and yes, an international manhunt to capture, dead or alive....preferrably dead) that !@#$%%@ 'ltc' character, we are proud to announce that you will be receiving, free of charge, a #2 pencil.....and some Porsche golf tees.

You will receive a TSB, detailing instructions for bulb removal and the use of the eraser on the #2 pencil, in order to increase the luminosity of your Porsche lighting systems, by burnishing the bulb contacts with the #2 pencil eraser.

If you do not feel comfortable, nor have experience in the use of a #2 pencil eraser, please feel free to bring your Cayenne to your local Porsche dealer (unless of course you have a CDROM NAV based system, in which case you'll be lucky to find your rural Porsche dealership) and they will be happy to perform this TSB for you.

Again, on behalf of Dr W. and his off shore personal accounts, thank you again for continuing to buy our VW.....damn it.....I mean Porsche products.

Translated:
As long as you don't start the vehicle, use the bulbs, drive over any bump larger than a #2 pencil laying on the ground, the relative humidity does not exceed 17%, drive within 250 miles of the ocean/salt water, wash your Cayenne...the bulb warning should not reappear.
Old 08-13-2006, 11:51 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Toby Pennycuff
Ahhh, That explains the high-pitched voice!
you HAVE to have the tight fitting pajama bottoms (the ones with the little footies sewn in AND the flap in the back) to go along with the tight fitting pajama top (with the arms around the back), right?
Old 08-14-2006, 11:35 PM
skl
Rennlist Member

Well Lewis, you'll be interested to know the damned ! went off this AM the first time I turned left... off to the dealer on Wednesday... when I called him he said "dipped beam" before I could say no, the blinker...

Quick Reply: Turn Signal Problems