Sponsored by:

Check Dipped Bean x 2

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2005, 10:05 PM
Alvin Hom
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check Dipped Bean x 2

"Check Dipped Beam" warning comes on, one headlight is out. Turn off car, turn back on, both headlights will work again. This is what was happening.

Had this problem fixed last month.

Yesterday it started happenning again!

Anyone else had this issue?

TIA!
Old 10-07-2005, 10:20 PM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I have had it go on and then the next time I start the truck, everything is normal. Is bill gates involved with our truck's computer??
Old 10-07-2005, 11:40 PM
STATMAN
Rennlist Member

Had this happen within a month after purchase, but 10 months later the problem has never reoccurred.
Old 10-08-2005, 02:18 AM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Today I had new tires installed and I turned off the air suspension when I took it to the tire mounting place. After the install, I left and noticed (warning was showing on dash of low air pressure) that the air was low in all tires so went and filled up as specified. Drove the truck home with no warning showing. Then went to dinner and had a fault showing on the dash on the air suspension requiring "workshop visit". I tried restarting a couple of times and it stayed on and I could not raise or lower the suspension. After dinner came out and everything was normal, could raise and lower things. Must be a Microsoft "issue".
Old 10-08-2005, 02:48 AM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Ouch, I would still take it in as perhaps they dinged a sensor or pinched a wire when exchanging the tires.....
Old 10-08-2005, 09:31 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Alvin Hom
"Check Dipped Beam" warning comes on, one headlight is out. Turn off car, turn back on, both headlights will work again. This is what was happening.
Had this problem fixed last month. Yesterday it started happenning again!
Anyone else had this issue?
TIA!
Very common issue with Cayennes. It is realted to the vehicle's integrated 'bulb diagnostic check' capability....I'll skip the long boring technical details regarding that for now.

How did your dealer repair the issue?

There are issues regarding the fit/quality (remember, profit is everything with this vehicle) of the bulb holders. They are prone to allowing for a loose mechanical connection between the bulb contact(s) and the housing contact(s), which leads to increased resistance (and/or arcing), which leads to heat, which leads to mechanical deformation (or in worse cases melted plastic), which repeats the cycle and you end up with a poor electromechanical connection, which trips the integrated bulb check diagnostics .... i told you I was going to skip the long boring technical details...this is just the Reader's Digest version.

If the dealership merely cleaned the contacts on the bulb holder, it's likely to have NOT fixed the problem. The contacts need to be mechanically inspected and bent back into the correct locations and/or have the bulb housing/holder replaced.

Once that is done, you should be all set.
Old 10-08-2005, 01:28 PM
phaedrus242
Instructor

ltc is right on about the bulb issue. One addendum that may be beneficial. This problem can be compounded by loose mounting plates for the headlight unit itself. There were a couple of revisions to the plate and the fasteners used to secure the headlight unit. I've seen a couple seemingly erroneous light warnings (directional, dipped beams, etc) cause by poor electrical connections caused by the unit being able to vibrate more than it should. Something to have the dealer techs look into.
Old 03-05-2011, 12:43 PM
Andrew13
4th Gear

Hey Gang.. Sorry for the duplication on this topic.. but i'm stuck.. Check dipped beam on the drivers side.. Took the assembly out, made sure all the contacts were secure.. and still flickering.. I find it odd that if I wack the lens, it sometimes comes on.. so I thought it must be something loose.. and appears to happen more in cold weather.. thoughts?

Also, any idea on how to change a right front fog light assembly? I have a 05 Cayenne S (no side vents). Hit a snow bank and busted one of the attachements. Is my only option to remove the entire bumper? if so, any thoughts on I how I go about it?
thx!!

ps. I do have the rear mounted spare, I'll post pics soon.

Quick Reply: Check Dipped Bean x 2