Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So I decided to add towing. Need some help/advice.

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2006, 03:31 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
Default So I decided to add towing. Need some help/advice.

Alright fellas.....so I finally decided to add towing since we need to pull at least a small uhaul trailer behind the Pepper on the move cross country. I need your help on a few things.

I decided on the Curt trailer hitch assembly (like the one Michael (mudman2) installed) and found it for $160 shipped. What else would I need to purchase on top of that? I am guessing a lights wiring kit?

Also, the PCNA Teq towing system seems to come with a considerable amount more but not quite sure. Can get it from Sunset for $850 shipped and the TSB install time is 3.2 hours so figure another $400-500 on install. So why in the world would I pay the extra $700 plus 4-500 labor???

Brake Controller? Can't imagine I would need one unless I purchase an enclosed trailer to tow the 996 to the track later this year.

Anything else anybody cares to add feel free to do that. I am going to order SOMETHING on Monday morning and want to have all my "duck in a row" for the order.

TIA
Old 04-22-2006, 06:40 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by LVDell
Alright fellas.....so I finally decided to add towing since we need to pull at least a small uhaul trailer behind the Pepper on the move cross country. I need your help on a few things.
Towing with a Cayenne.... brings back memories

I decided on the Curt trailer hitch assembly (like the one Michael (mudman2) installed) and found it for $160 shipped. What else would I need to purchase on top of that? I am guessing a lights wiring kit?
Yes, you will have to install a wiring harness for trailer lights (directional, running, brake, reverse and license plate)

Also, the PCNA Teq towing system seems to come with a considerable amount more but not quite sure. Can get it from Sunset for $850 shipped and the TSB install time is 3.2 hours so figure another $400-500 on install. So why in the world would I pay the extra $700 plus 4-500 labor???.
The Porsche towing system includes the hitch receiver (you're using the Curt) mechanics, in addition to the integrated towbar control unit (OEM to PAG from Westfalia), which provides the electrical interface between the trailer/lighting and the Cayenne. This module is installed in the rear passenger side cargo compartment, immediately behind the removable access cover. It has been the subject of at least one TSB (W406) and is responsible for the 'Check Trailer Lights" message, "!", etc.
I am GUESSING that if you simply 'fly wire' a 4 pin or 7 pin trailer interface connector in parallel with your Cayenne's brake/directional lights, you will **** off the Cayenne's integrated onboard vehicle bulb diagnostics.....but what the hell do I know anyways?

Brake Controller? Can't imagine I would need one unless I purchase an enclosed trailer to tow the 996 to the track later this year..
You will be required to install a brake controller for any 2 axle trailer and/or trailer over 1000#. Your U-Haul provider may NOT allow you to tow their trailer if it is equipped with electric brakes and your tow vehicle is not.

Installing an electric brake controller is very straight forward (the Prodigy requires a minor wiring change over a standard electric brake controller) and has been covered in this forum, photos, parts list, instructions, etc....many times before
(I even offered the 4 pin (VAG) electric brake interface connector for free....no one wanted it....perhaps because it came out of my former Cayenne)

Anything else anybody cares to add feel free to do that. I am going to order SOMETHING on Monday morning and want to have all my "duck in a row" for the order.
TIA
Happy duck hunting.
Old 04-22-2006, 07:56 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Damn Lewis! That was very informative. Much appreciated. So if I went with the Curt setup, what else would I need to buy to do "everything"?

Here's what I see so far (please add to it or correct as needed):
Curt Class III hitch
Ball Mount (what drop? They offer from 2" all the way to 10")
Ball (2"?)
Brake Controller (not sure which one)
Light wiring kit (again, not sure which one)

Anything else???

Also, do I really need to have the dealer "activate" it. Sunset told me that they didn't need to starting in 2005 models.

Anyway, thanks again for the input!
Old 04-22-2006, 08:09 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Damn Lewis! That was very informative. Much appreciated. So if I went with the Curt setup, what else would I need to buy to do "everything"?
My 2 cents would be to go with the Tequipment OEM trailer kit; they are advertised at discount prices in Pano (Sunset will likely have the lowest price anyways), the labor/install hours are very negotiable with your dealer, it would be covered under the vehicle warranty and would not be an issue for resale/service......but then again, when did you ever think I'd be recommending a Cayenne towing option.........skl must be laughing right about now

Here's what I see so far (please add to it or correct as needed):

Curt Class III hitch
Yes, unless you go with the PAG Tequipment option.

Ball Mount (what drop? They offer from 2" all the way to 10")
The drop will depend on several factors...ride height setting (if PASM equipped) and the height of the trailer you plan on towing with.....can't say in advance what you will need.

Ball (2"?)
Again, it depends on how the trailer you are planning on towing is equipped. 2" is fairly common, but mine was 2 5/16".

Brake Controller (not sure which one)
As an electrical engineer, a brake controller is a brake controller. The Prodigy is nice, but a generic DrawTite brake controller works just as well. A local trailer shop would be able to install one for you...that's who did mine. The interface is thru the 4pin connector under the dash; the Prodigy requires a small modification...both have been documented/detailed here before.

Light wiring kit (again, not sure which one)
I do not know of any aftermarket Cayenne trailer light wiring kits. You can probably get an off the shelf generic kit, but it's going to be a bit of work to run all the wiring for the lights and electric brakes.

Anything else???
Luck, Patience, a good sense of humor, 2 Maglites, D batteries and a roll of racer's tape, step ladder to unscrew a few trailer lights........

Also, do I really need to have the dealer "activate" it. Sunset told me that they didn't need to starting in 2005 models.
Again, if you go with the Tequipment option, it should be 'plug and play' for 05+...otherwise it's a couple of minutes with PIWIS connected, very quick and easy.

Anyway, thanks again for the input!
You're welcome.
Old 04-22-2006, 08:36 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Ok, then if you say the PCNA Teq option is "plug and play" then I might as well go that route. I think I might even tackle that project.....but then again, I would be more than fine spending a little cash on labor (3.2 hrs according to the TSB) and then have my weekend to myself!

If I go Teq then all I need is the Towing system as well as a brake controller correct? Or does the Teq system come with it?

Thanks again Lewis! I owe you big time
Old 04-22-2006, 08:54 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 935 Likes on 566 Posts

Yes, Lewis, I'm enjoying this! (BTW Lewis, my kid just finished second in his third Spec Miata SCCA regional race... I've created a monster...now his dad has to keep up tomorrow in the national race... fat chance...)
Old 04-22-2006, 09:03 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Re: the "plug and play" of the system and it's compatibility with my truck.

Ok, so I have been doing ALOT of reading from the archives and i can't figure out for the life of me why I "need" the Teq towing system.

I have read quite a bit that the pricing of the Teq system is helped by the "control unit". Not without PASM on my Cayenne why in the world would I need it? I just can't get over the price difference.

The Curt Hitch is $160 shipped.
Ball Mount and Ball $40
Lights wiring kit $20
Brake Controller $100
A weekend in the garage of my labor $0
Total cost ~$320

Am I missing something here?

OFF TO MAKE A MARTINI...MY HEAD IS HURTING!!!
Old 04-22-2006, 10:29 PM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 97 Posts
Wink

You will be much happier taking the plunge and buying the Porsche Towing option. My guess is that once you attempt to wire in your harness, your Cayenne will become deathly ill with electrical and data gremlins. And when you take it in, your dealer suddenly has the option to say "oops, what's this non-factory approved modification??? Sorry, your $14,000 custom wiring harness that is smoking will be on your nickel, not ours."

FWIW, I would spend the extra dollars (you are getting close on parts alone) and use the factory kit. PITA that it is, you will be much happier.

OBTW, let me know if you need towing mirrors..... I MAY have finally found an answer to towing mirrors for the Cayenne. And no, Lewis, it's NOT the dumb-ard **** extensions. It is a ****-USA product however.

Toby
Old 04-22-2006, 10:33 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

If I go Teq then all I need is the Towing system as well as a brake controller correct? Or does the Teq system come with it?
Thanks again Lewis! I owe you big time
You have to purchase your own brake controller...no matter which route you go.....and you have to search/dredge up the wiring/installation instructions.
Send up an SOS flare (or perhaps a few "!") if you can't find it.
Old 04-22-2006, 10:36 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Toby Pennycuff
OBTW, let me know if you need towing mirrors..... I MAY have finally found an answer to towing mirrors for the Cayenne. And no, Lewis, it's NOT the dumb-ard **** extensions. It is a ****-USA product however.
Toby
Although it's too late for me (Cayenne is just a distant memory), you may want to let 'skl' know what you came up with.
Old 04-22-2006, 10:38 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Thanks guys. I am just trying to swallow all the frickin bills that come with a move across country not to mention all the "other fees". Just ranting........

But hey, a Grey Goose Martini cures all
Old 04-23-2006, 09:40 AM
wingless
analyst
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 98 Posts

My suggestion would be the PAG trailer module. But, if the implementation is to splice onto existing wiring, then please post results.

Isn't the bumper aluminum versus steel, with the factory option?
Old 06-21-2006, 11:35 AM
Iloveheat
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just installed the Curt hitch in a great shop in GA for $400.00!! The dealer here asked for $1,700.00, can you believe it? Brake controller: what is the brand that goes for $100? A friend of mine had it installed by the dealer her in GA two years ago and he paid that amount and now he is pretty disappointed. He is asking me if he has a brake controller, at least: what do you think? (...I'd say no....)....
Old 06-21-2006, 12:13 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

the reason I decided against the Curt setup was what my towing needs are. I went with the Porshe system so I could take advantage of the full 7760 pound towing capacity which the Curt system cannot do. If you do not need the full rating then the Curt is just fine. I paid about $850 for the system and did the full install myself including the included towing module. Just needed to get it programmed at the dealer to USA spec instead of RoW. Search my threads in this forum and you will find plenty of towing related reading.
Old 06-21-2006, 12:27 PM
curveraider
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Toby,

Please post up your potential solution for the side mirrors. I have been scratching my head regarding this issue and I think I am starting to go bald waiting for the answer.

Thanks!

Quick Reply: So I decided to add towing. Need some help/advice.