Sponsored by:

Opinion on Kahn Design Wheels 22"

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2006, 10:38 PM
Kooser
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Opinion on Kahn Design Wheels 22"

GMP performance has a great deal on a set of Kahn Design 22" x 10 wheels (45lbs) which take 285/35W/R22's for $1999.00 - 4 wheels

I have one set on hold and they have one set left.

Here is a link with them mounted on a CTT for a glance.

http://www.gmpperformance.com/CFJFiles/GMP/3490.jpg

Does anyone have any experience with Kahns. Good, Bad, marginal?
Opinion on how they look?

http://www.kahndesign.com/collection/rsc1/index2.htm

I need to make up my mind over the next few days and I would appreciate any input.

The two tire options I have are BF goodrich g-force T/A KDW2 or Michelin 4 x 4 Diamaris. Which are better?

Thanks
Old 02-22-2006, 01:09 AM
alex911s
Man of Many Porsches
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

I like them, I've had diamaris before theyre good, i think Jamy has the Gforce..
Are they still on sale. GMP was selling them for $2000/set no tires...
Old 02-22-2006, 01:46 AM
oproulx
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kooser
The two tire options I have are BF goodrich g-force T/A KDW2 or Michelin 4 x 4 Diamaris. Which are better?

Thanks
Alright so my 2 cents on tires
Had the Pirelli Scorpion Zero's in 295 30 22, a real nightmare, switched them to 285 35 22 BfGoodrich GForces, a world of a difference

As far as the Diamaris are concerned, some swear onlyby them. I know of a fellow montrealer that has had 2-3 sets of faulty Continentals and cured his problem by switching to Michelins.

I know of a few people on this forum that had a vibration problem even with the Michelins...

Anyways coming back to the issue at hand, I recommend the Bf's no problem, great "bang for the buck"
Old 02-22-2006, 01:49 AM
Kooser
Pro

Yep
Only one set left (besides the one on hold)
I don't think I can pass up the deal.
I too was holding out for a set of 20 sport technos (I understand you got them from Jamy?), which I was going to get this spring, but they would have been about $5300 with tires vs. $3200 for the 22 Kahns with tires.
I want to then use that "savings" ha ha, toward an ECU flash and other internal mods.

The more I look at them, the more they look like Techarts, but with some subtle differences.

http://www.wheelenhancement.com/whee...3_12_Black.jpg
Old 02-22-2006, 02:00 AM
alex911s
Man of Many Porsches
Rennlist Member

there's also a techart on 6speed with toyo's $3500 shipped, might be gone though i posted it here on charlieXs wheel thread..
Old 02-22-2006, 02:01 AM
Kooser
Pro

Originally Posted by oproulx
Anyways coming back to the issue at hand, I recommend the Bf's no problem, great "bang for the buck"
Thanks.

Sweet OZ wheels oproulx
Any vibration issues with yours?
How is your tire wear?
Old 02-22-2006, 02:04 AM
oproulx
Advanced

Thanks.

Sweet OZ wheels oproulx
Any vibration issues with yours?
How is your tire wear?
Thanks

So far so good (knock on wood lol)
Can't really tell for the tire wear because I only put on 1000 kms before taking them off and putting my winter wheels + tires
Old 02-22-2006, 07:04 AM
JW3
Racer

Kahn are some of the most beautiful wheels I have ever seen.
Old 02-22-2006, 03:27 PM
Zin
Instructor

Kahn wheels are gorgeous! Buy 'em or I will!
Old 02-22-2006, 05:34 PM
charlieXS
Pro

Anyone have the weight on Kahn wheels? I thought I read 40 lbs for the 20's and nearly 50 lbs. for the 22' s!!!

Last edited by charlieXS; 02-23-2006 at 05:39 AM.
Old 02-22-2006, 09:47 PM
Kooser
Pro

Originally Posted by charlieXS
Anyone have the weight on Kahn wheels? I thought I read 40 lbs for the 20's and nearly 50 lbs. for the rears!!!

GMP weighed them for me 45lbs rims only.
Old 02-22-2006, 09:50 PM
Kooser
Pro

Originally Posted by Zin
Kahn wheels are gorgeous! Buy 'em or I will!
I will 99% for sure. I am finalizing shipping costs.
Wheels with BF tires $3300.00
If I pushed a little the salesman said that if I buy tires with rims he could match tire racks price for the tires -$283 per tire. This would make it more like $3125.00
A very very fair price for this size I woud say.
Old 02-23-2006, 01:22 AM
alex911s
Man of Many Porsches
Rennlist Member

That's a good price Kooser...
Old 02-24-2006, 12:49 AM
Budget M3
Racer

GMP weighed them for me 45lbs rims only.
The Kahn's do look great... At this weight that's significantly more than the OEMs (never mind that you will also be running a "non-Porsche approved" wheel and tire size). Add tires at another 31-38lbs each and you have MUCH more unsprung weight to pull around. In addition to a hit on your Pepper's already mediocre/poor gas mileage, that will also result in more wear and tear on suspension parts/wheel bearings/etc. There will be a handling improvement with the larger hardware, but some of the improvement will be offset by the extra weight. PCNA will likely deny warranty claims on any number of related parts due to such a combination. One other issue is the ride--22's on a steel suspension will likely be too harsh for most people, even the hardest core Porsche fanatics. If you have the adjustable suspension, then the ride is better, but still not great. If you live in FL, CA, or AZ you might fare better than with the pockmarked roads of the rustbelt...finding a replacement wheel if you bend one beyond repair could be a challenge...

I looked hard at the GMP deal on the Kahn's, too, but for the above reasons decided to go with a 20-inch OZ wheel (<35lbs) with 275/40 setup (OEM size)...not quite as cool looking as 22's, but for an everyday driver under warranty, a better value IMHO.

Good luck with your choice
Old 02-24-2006, 01:27 AM
Kooser
Pro

Originally Posted by Budget M3
The Kahn's do look great... At this weight that's significantly more than the OEMs (never mind that you will also be running a "non-Porsche approved" wheel and tire size). Add tires at another 31-38lbs each and you have MUCH more unsprung weight to pull around. In addition to a hit on your Pepper's already mediocre/poor gas mileage, that will also result in more wear and tear on suspension parts/wheel bearings/etc. There will be a handling improvement with the larger hardware, but some of the improvement will be offset by the extra weight. PCNA will likely deny warranty claims on any number of related parts due to such a combination. One other issue is the ride--22's on a steel suspension will likely be too harsh for most people, even the hardest core Porsche fanatics. If you have the adjustable suspension, then the ride is better, but still not great. If you live in FL, CA, or AZ you might fare better than with the pockmarked roads of the rustbelt...finding a replacement wheel if you bend one beyond repair could be a challenge...

I looked hard at the GMP deal on the Kahn's, too, but for the above reasons decided to go with a 20-inch OZ wheel (<35lbs) with 275/40 setup (OEM size)...not quite as cool looking as 22's, but for an everyday driver under warranty, a better value IMHO.

Good luck with your choice

from a previous post by alex911s "I only know that the 20 oem sport techno is heavy about 65 pounds/wheel, and so as the Techart Formula which is 75lbs.. the lightest one I've seen was the SSR(only offered in 20) which is 30lbs, there was one in the 25lb weight but I forgot, It think it was champion wheels. most aftermarket 22's are in the 40lbs.."

So the OEm 20" are probably not as light as you may think.

I have been on 18" rims and I ride usually on the "sport" setting. When I put the 22" on i am sure i will switch to "comfort" - whether or not this will dampen things will remain to be seen (felt!).

With warranty issues....if something goes wrong i am going to switch back to the 18" rims prior to rolling into any dealership for service. How will they know at that point?

Bending a rim and being able to find a replacement is a good point too. They would be definately not as easy to find as HRE's , Techarts, OEM's, etc. But I hope these are not some discontinued non replaceable models. I should probably contact Kahn to find out these things for sure.

Quick Reply: Opinion on Kahn Design Wheels 22"