Sponsored by:

Opinion on Kahn Design Wheels 22"

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2006, 12:51 PM
Budget M3
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Kooser
from a previous post by alex911s "I only know that the 20 oem sport techno is heavy about 65 pounds/wheel, and so as the Techart Formula which is 75lbs.. the lightest one I've seen was the SSR(only offered in 20) which is 30lbs, there was one in the 25lb weight but I forgot, It think it was champion wheels. most aftermarket 22's are in the 40lbs.."

So the OEm 20" are probably not as light as you may think.
I believe Alex's quote of 65lbs is for wheel AND tire combination. Considering the tire probably weighs at least as much as the wheel (if not a little more), I've been told the sporttechno wheels weigh about 29-31lbs for just the wheel.

I have been on 18" rims and I ride usually on the "sport" setting. When I put the 22" on i am sure i will switch to "comfort" - whether or not this will dampen things will remain to be seen (felt!).
You are lucky you have the adjustable suspension. Let us know how the ride is on the comfort setting...

With warranty issues....if something goes wrong i am going to switch back to the 18" rims prior to rolling into any dealership for service. How will they know at that point?
I thought about that, but the hassle of changing wheels whenever I needed service was too inconvenient for me. Also, there is an ethics issue here (no insult is intended, we all have our opinions on how shifty car dealers and manufacturers can be--some can rationalize that turnabout can be fair play). My own ethics would not allow me to switch back to OEM wheels if it was my 22's that may have caused a problem in the first place.

Good luck with the Kahn's...no matter our opinions on the above issues, you will definitely have some of the sweetest looking wheels offered for a Cayenne
Old 02-24-2006, 01:15 PM
trozenhorse
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have the khans in 20 cause of the roads in mtl...i love them and they look hot, i bought the porshe oem 5 star center caps and filed them down a bit to fit my wheels to have the same look as on the projectkhan.com website....looks supper hot, i was even considering going to 22's but the roads prevent it from happening....they look awesome, good luck
Old 02-24-2006, 02:13 PM
alex911s
Man of Many Porsches
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Budget M3
I believe Alex's quote of 65lbs is for wheel AND tire combination. Considering the tire probably weighs at least as much as the wheel (if not a little more), I've been told the sporttechno wheels weigh about 29-31lbs for just the wheel.

Yes youre right, i typed it incorrectly , it is 65lbs with tires...
Old 02-24-2006, 03:13 PM
Kooser
Pro

Originally Posted by Budget M3
I thought about that, but the hassle of changing wheels whenever I needed service was too inconvenient for me. Also, there is an ethics issue here (no insult is intended, we all have our opinions on how shifty car dealers and manufacturers can be--some can rationalize that turnabout can be fair play). My own ethics would not allow me to switch back to OEM wheels if it was my 22's that may have caused a problem in the first place.

Good luck with the Kahn's...no matter our opinions on the above issues, you will definitely have some of the sweetest looking wheels offered for a Cayenne
Yes it will be a hassle. Yes it is unethical. However I do use a radar detector to speed, and I do plan on modifying my DME as well which also carries some ethical implications switching back and forth before service. "Deleted text........." They showed me a chipped car connected to PIWIS and even though it read as stock - it still showed that it was tampered with - no matter what any tuning company claims - the dealer's computer recognizes when the DME has been altered.

Now here is another ethical dilemma - "Deleted text....."

Passive deception - stil not right. But I will cross that bridge when and if the situation arises.

You are absolutely correct in your judgement and the way to handle these things. Simply stay within OEM specs and be honest.

BUT, I'll deviate from the truth just a little.

Last edited by Kooser; 02-24-2006 at 06:49 PM.
Old 02-24-2006, 03:44 PM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes it will be a hassle.
Yes it is unethical.....
I do plan on modifying my DME...
also carries some ethical implications
another ethical dilemma -
BUT, I'll deviate from the truth just a little.
Kooser, in all serious-ness.. if we believe that PCNA does look at these boards from time to time.. your dealer should be nervous.. then it's just my opinion (you know subtle things like the one about 150 mph on public roads) that this is stuff probably best left unsaid (unwritten as it were). I'd hate for it to come back and bite you like the following always does:
"yes, honey, you look thinner in that",
"no, sugar, I don't think about sex every 10 minutes"
"yes, dear, I think it is okay to just cuddle"
"no, Peter, I didn't 'chip' my engine or put 'big *****' tires on my Cayenne..
Old 02-24-2006, 04:00 PM
charlieXS
Pro

Kahn wheels are pretty sweet looking!

Here's a pic of some 22" Kahns on a steel suspension car with springs

BTW, I've been trying to figure this out... are those 265/35-22's on there or 295/30-22????

They are certainly Continental UHP so they're not 285/35's... they ARE 265/35 or 295/30. I'm thinking they MAY be 265/35's... the Kahn wheels are 22 x 10 and the 265/35's have 10.7" sect width... the tread width is just under 9". Look at the 10" wide wheel and the tire almost looks stretched on the wheel... 265/35??

And does anyone know what size Toyo's are on AMG ETR's black CS?
Old 02-24-2006, 06:54 PM
Kooser
Pro

Originally Posted by charlieXS
Kahn wheels are pretty sweet looking!

Here's a pic of some 22" Kahns on a steel suspension car with springs
Thank you for posting the pics. My CTT is black as well and this gives me a great idea as to how the rims will appear on my truck.

I am supposed to call and approve of my order today. These suckers will cost $150.00 for shipping, but since I will save on the sales tax....oops, I wonder if the Illinois department of Taxation is also monitoring us as well....I meant to say that even with the sales tax and shipping it still will be a very fair price for the set-up.
Old 02-24-2006, 06:58 PM
Kooser
Pro

Originally Posted by MadFox
Kooser, in all serious-ness.. if we believe that PCNA does look at these boards from time to time.. your dealer should be nervous.. then it's just my opinion (you know subtle things like the one about 150 mph on public roads) that this is stuff probably best left unsaid (unwritten as it were). I'd hate for it to come back and bite you like the following always does:
"yes, honey, you look thinner in that",
"no, sugar, I don't think about sex every 10 minutes"
"yes, dear, I think it is okay to just cuddle"
"no, Peter, I didn't 'chip' my engine or put 'big *****' tires on my Cayenne..

I was going over 150mph, well over!
But this was in a dream I had now that I think about it, yes a very realistic dream, but pure fantasy.

Point well taken though Madfox, point well taken.
Check out my previous "edit"
Old 02-24-2006, 08:58 PM
charlieXS
Pro

here's another view on the black CTT>>

and here:
Old 02-24-2006, 09:12 PM
Kooser
Pro

Originally Posted by trozenhorse
i have the khans in 20 cause of the roads in mtl...i love them and they look hot, i bought the porshe oem 5 star center caps and filed them down a bit to fit my wheels to have the same look as on the projectkhan.com website....looks supper hot, i was even considering going to 22's but the roads prevent it from happening....they look awesome, good luck
Didn't your Kahns come with Porsche center caps (not the five star ones but circular metal caps with a black Porsche crest)? GMP told me that these rims will come with the Porsche crest center caps.

Like these on the their web site....
http://www.kahndesign.com/collection/rsc1/index2.htm

I have the five star ones on my 18" rims, but I don't think I will take them to a lathe. Won't that affect how they would fit back onto the stock 18" after filing them?
Old 02-24-2006, 09:27 PM
charlieXS
Pro

if they don't come with the center caps, those are the same center caps from base v6 17" wheels, and are avail on eBay frequently for like $30 per set, lol! Yeah, don't ruin your star caps!

C
Old 02-25-2006, 10:29 PM
charlieXS
Pro

I think I REALLY like the Kahn's... now just wondering what size tires I should go for.

Last edited by charlieXS; 02-26-2006 at 04:19 PM.
Old 02-25-2006, 11:42 PM
Budget M3
Racer

Kahn's do look great, especially in 22... for comparison, here are the 20-inch OZ's just installed today w/ 275/40's on my Pepper...

Old 02-25-2006, 11:52 PM
Budget M3
Racer

Another interesting point is that not only did handling and braking significantly improve with the 20's (as expected), but the ride quality is ALSO improved (totally NOT expected). I guess the OEM M&S tires (mine had Pirelli Scorpions) are pretty bad for ride quality...
Old 02-26-2006, 12:56 AM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I really like the look. I paid "significantly" more for my 22" techArts. I run the michelins 295/30's on the second set and have had no problems, including track events.
At that price you cant go wrong.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Opinion on Kahn Design Wheels 22"