Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinion on Kahn Design Wheels 22"

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2006, 03:56 AM
charlieXS
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that's an EXTREMELY clean, nice look on your truck... and great news that your ride quality improved!
And I love that carmen red in the sunlight!
Old 02-26-2006, 07:18 PM
alex911s
Man of Many Porsches
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Budget M3
Another interesting point is that not only did handling and braking significantly improve with the 20's (as expected), but the ride quality is ALSO improved (totally NOT expected). I guess the OEM M&S tires (mine had Pirelli Scorpions) are pretty bad for ride quality...
How the hell did i miss the pics, haha. Your car looks great man! very nice and simple..My 20 on my old S rides great until I changed the springs.. I think the scorpions ice and snow have hard rubber, or maybe the tire pressure..
Old 02-26-2006, 07:40 PM
Budget M3
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by alex911s
How the hell did i miss the pics, haha. Your car looks great man! very nice and simple..My 20 on my old S rides great until I changed the springs.. I think the scorpions ice and snow have hard rubber, or maybe the tire pressure..
Thx, alex...tire pressures I am using are 38fr/43rear, basically the same as the scorps. I attribute the ride quality improvement to replacing what is basically a truck/offroad/M&S tire with a passenger car tire--aka softer rubber. I'm not too concerned with the loss of offroad traction, since I also had the diamaris on my X5 and used it for mild offroading with great success(worked like a champ on 2-3 inch deep mud and forded an 18-inch deep running river in the mtns of New Mexico last spring). I am VERY happy with my choice...
Old 02-27-2006, 07:31 AM
MeanMachine
Three Wheelin'

Ive got Kahn RC's on the ML for 2 years now love them to death!
Old 02-27-2006, 03:17 PM
Kooser
Pro

Called GMP Performance today and finalized my order. They will get the tires (BF's) Tuesday, mount and balance them and then they go out via truck for delivery.
I am excited now to actually mount them, but I guess I should remind myself that it is still only March coming up in Chicago - so we might be in for some severe weather still. But I don't know if I can wait?!?!
Old 02-27-2006, 08:45 PM
charlieXS
Pro

Originally Posted by Kooser
Called GMP Performance today and finalized my order. They will get the tires (BF's) Tuesday, mount and balance them and then they go out via truck for delivery.
I am excited now to actually mount them, but I guess I should remind myself that it is still only March coming up in Chicago - so we might be in for some severe weather still. But I don't know if I can wait?!?!
That's gonna be great, womping around the slush in 22's, lol... at least you'll look good doing it. Can't wait to see your pics!
Old 03-02-2006, 08:48 PM
Kooser
Pro

Holy crap!
The weight of the four tires plus packaging is 344LBS.
About 80-83lbs each wheel/tire minus the packaging.
This is shy of double what the Sport Technos tip the scales at.
Did I make a mistake here?
Will my truck suffer?

Anybody out there riding on 22's, heavy 22's at that?
What is your take -good or bad?
Old 03-02-2006, 10:06 PM
charlieXS
Pro

Originally Posted by Kooser
Holy crap!
The weight of the four tires plus packaging is 344LBS.
About 80-83lbs each wheel/tire minus the packaging.
This is shy of double what the Sport Technos tip the scales at.
Did I make a mistake here?
Will my truck suffer?

Anybody out there riding on 22's, heavy 22's at that?
What is your take -good or bad?
no, no, no... the 20" sportTechno wheel and a 275/40 Michelin weighs 66lbs.

A typical cast 22" weighs 40-45lbs. and the tire depending on size, maybe 36lbs. so, yeah figure about 80 pounds per wheel... there could be a noticeable effect on handling and acceleration. I'll be very curious to hear about the results! If you have a V6 it may make the truck a bit slower "off the line" ESPECIALLY if you went with a tall tire like a 285/35-22....

EDIT: I just noticed you have CTT which means big engine, big brakes and air suspension... it'll be just FINE for you... now for my V6 it might be a stretch...
Old 03-03-2006, 12:34 AM
Budget M3
Racer

Originally Posted by charlieXS
no, no, no... the 20" sportTechno wheel and a 275/40 Michelin weighs 66lbs.

A typical cast 22" weighs 40-45lbs. and the tire depending on size, maybe 36lbs. so, yeah figure about 80 pounds per wheel... there could be a noticeable effect on handling and acceleration. I'll be very curious to hear about the results! If you have a V6 it may make the truck a bit slower "off the line" ESPECIALLY if you went with a tall tire like a 285/35-22....

EDIT: I just noticed you have CTT which means big engine, big brakes and air suspension... it'll be just FINE for you... now for my V6 it might be a stretch...

CTT will definitely get out of it's own way, even with the larger/heavier wheel tire combo...IN A STRAIGHT LINE. Where you will notice a difference is in the handling. The extra unsprung weight at each corner will likely have an effect that offsets the gains you get by going to a wider tire, so overall you may not notice much of a handling difference. Long term reliability (over tens of thousands of miles) will suffer as well, so plan to replace bushings/wheel bearings/etc. much sooner than if you stuck with stock wheel/tire combo. Of course if you keep the truck only 3-4 years, that will likely only be a problem for the next owner. On the upside, your 22's are gonna be the coolest looking ride in town!!!
Old 03-03-2006, 09:14 AM
Kooser
Pro

Originally Posted by Budget M3
CTT will definitely get out of it's own way, even with the larger/heavier wheel tire combo...IN A STRAIGHT LINE. Where you will notice a difference is in the handling. The extra unsprung weight at each corner will likely have an effect that offsets the gains you get by going to a wider tire, so overall you may not notice much of a handling difference. Long term reliability (over tens of thousands of miles) will suffer as well, so plan to replace bushings/wheel bearings/etc. much sooner than if you stuck with stock wheel/tire combo. Of course if you keep the truck only 3-4 years, that will likely only be a problem for the next owner. On the upside, your 22's are gonna be the coolest looking ride in town!!!
The sport technos look plenty cool for me. I am concerned about sacrificing reliability with the truck though. I would rather be functional than totally cool!

I'll let you know what the results are. They arrive today aqnd I wil mount them in a week or so...we are still having some snowy weather forecasted here.

Quick Reply: Opinion on Kahn Design Wheels 22"