Sponsored by:

Brake pads

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2004, 07:16 PM
M-Phibian
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake pads

Okay...I did a search on the forum and the 'net and have yet to find a solid answer. Does anyone know where I can purchase low-dust pads for the Cayenne? These excessively dusty stock pads HAVE to go. Please don't give me just a brand name and nothing else...I'm looking for a place I can actually purchase them from.

Thanks.
Old 09-07-2004, 07:28 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Don't know of anyone who's done it, some talk no proof.

Sorry
Old 09-07-2004, 08:13 PM
Josh Warner
Rennlist Member

Amen Scott!

I'm interested too. I'm powder coating my wheels satin black this week as an interm solution and until I decide on the 22's to get.
Old 09-07-2004, 08:21 PM
wingless
analyst
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 98 Posts

My experience has been that the Sport Techno wheels are easy enough to clean, on both the inside and outside, at each wash. These wheels also permit easy cleaning of the calipers.

Given that the vehicle needs a bath, why not just wash the wheels too?
Old 09-07-2004, 10:59 PM
M-Phibian
Instructor

The problem is that I've owned the car for only 4 days, and have had to wash the wheels 3 times already. They get far too dusty far too fast. I had the same problem with my M3, so I went with low-dust pads and it made all the difference in the world. The car brakes better and has 90% less dust than stock.

I emailed the makers of Axxis pads today about this very subject and hopefully should have an answer soon.

Originally Posted by wingless
Given that the vehicle needs a bath, why not just wash the wheels too?
Old 09-07-2004, 11:11 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 304 Likes on 151 Posts

I'm considering replacing my E46 M3 with a Cayenne S. Any words of wisdom? Obviously they can't really be compared, as they're apples and pineapples...but regardless, I'm interested in any comments you may have (I've got a 997 arriving next month for the GF, so I will have access to a more sporty vehicle...but on a daily basis I'd be going from the M3 to the Cayenne).

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-07-2004, 11:24 PM
M-Phibian
Instructor

Alan - As you said..apples to pineapples. The answer pretty much lies in what type of vehicle you need more; A very sporty and fast RWD coupe with 4 seats....or a fairly large AWD utilitarian SUV that handles better than many cars? The Cayenne for me is a daily driver only, and not a performance vehicle. And as much as I've already grown to love it (in 4 days)...if I had to choose between it and my M3...the M3 would instantly win hands down without a second thought.

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
I'm considering replacing my E46 M3 with a Cayenne S. Any words of wisdom? Obviously they can't really be compared, as they're apples and pineapples...but regardless, I'm interested in any comments you may have (I've got a 997 arriving next month for the GF, so I will have access to a more sporty vehicle...but on a daily basis I'd be going from the M3 to the Cayenne).

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-07-2004, 11:52 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 973 Likes on 591 Posts

Definitely post if you find some as my fingers are tired from cleaning my 19s about every time I drive it! The GT3 dusts pretty badly too, but not as bad as the Cayenne. Had lo-dust pads on my son's Audi TT and GTI and they were great. (Mintex RedBox and EBC greenstuff ) BTW, had a M3 SMG before the GT3. Great car and performance for the money but I actually grew tired of the SMG after a couple months and longed for a regular 6 speed again. May have kept it if it had a reg. manual- the SMG and its complexity would really scare me after the warranty was history!!
Old 09-08-2004, 12:29 AM
Raptor
Addict
Rennlist Member

M-Phibian. I share your pain. The only negative thus far (3,000 miles) is the damn dust bowl. I have had dustless pads on white-wheeled 911s for 22 years. Best I can add is that EBC said "by year-end") I have gotten a lot of "by year-ends" this year. In any event, Tire Rack and several others did searches for me and the answer is nada, so far. I will post when it happens. Hope others would do so also. Meanwhile, I am fortunate to have TechArt 22" Formula wheels and long fingers. BTW, Kozak cloths that have been dirtied beyon use on the car work great on the wheels. For those of you unaware of Kozak Auto Dry Wash cloth, check 'em out. They are very good.
Old 09-08-2004, 09:33 AM
Blade-MD
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 56 Likes on 37 Posts

I too am waiting in the wings for low dust brake pads. Nothing yet. My 20k service is coming up shortly and I intend to get the stock pads exchanged. In the interim the sport technos, which I have, or the Techarts are definitely the way to go for ease of cleaning. Wheelwax helps also:
http://www.wheelwax.com/?page=shop/t...4b15468e2f83c6
This will definitely reduce dust and make cleaning quicker.
Old 09-12-2004, 11:09 PM
M-Phibian
Instructor

Got a reply from Axxis Brake company today...they said they have no intention of offering pads for the Cayenne until the demand increases. Argghh.

Last edited by M-Phibian; 09-13-2004 at 09:49 AM.
Old 09-12-2004, 11:32 PM
Raptor
Addict
Rennlist Member

Bummer!!!! Having spent north of $50-60M for a CS, maybe Rennlist members can be persuaded to start an email campaign to get Axxis on board. I just sent an email that expressed my disappointment. Folks, nothing (nothing!) testifies to poor car hygene more than brake-duste front wheels. For a trifling amount, you can keep your wheels spiffy. Send an email and convert to dustless pads.
Old 09-13-2004, 03:44 PM
johnhct
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Raptor
Bummer!!!! Having spent north of $50-60M for a CS, maybe Rennlist members can be persuaded to start an email campaign to get Axxis on board. I just sent an email that expressed my disappointment. Folks, nothing (nothing!) testifies to poor car hygene more than brake-duste front wheels. For a trifling amount, you can keep your wheels spiffy. Send an email and convert to dustless pads.

I'd love to send an email, but I can't find an address.

Could you share that one with us?
Old 09-13-2004, 04:27 PM
Jenner
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I'd like to know if any become available, or if you need a group buy to get a company to make them add me to the list.
Old 09-13-2004, 09:46 PM
Torags
Three Wheelin'

Hmmmmmmmm.

As an owner that has a twice a year wash schedule, I'm perplexed over the hand wringing.

I look at the grime on my wheels as a patina - until I need it chiseled off.

Jeeze; I'm just happy the door opens, truck starts and I have have no vibrations when haulin' ***. It does stop 5500lb pretty good.

You'll have noise with harder disks and they may have to heat up to stop as good as the soft compound in city driving. It's the nature of the animal.

Quick Reply: Brake pads