Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Johnhct:
U.S. information: http://www.brakewarehouse.com/axxis1.htm
To e-mail U.S: info@brakewarehouse.com
Corp info: http://www.bendix.com.au/_corporate_ourBrand.asp
Corp e-mail: http://www.bendix.com.au/_contacting-us.asp

Torags: Maybe. However, I've never have had squeals on my 911 SC and Carrera (albeit, much lighter than the truck).
Old 09-13-2004, 11:44 PM
Blade-MD
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 56 Likes on 37 Posts
Angry

I just ordered a set of Pagid brake pads from Paragon:http://www.paragon-products.com/Pors...enne_s/227.htm
The front pads are backordered (I can guess why) and the rears are in stock. I am told the front pads will be shipped out by the end of the week. I have had the vehicle for over a year so I guess I can wait a little longer. Oil change is not far away so I may just have everything done at once.
Another CS owner from the Roadfly Board said the pads work well to reduce dust and eliminate the squeal. More later.
Old 09-14-2004, 02:35 AM
Blade-MD
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Torags
Hmmmmmmmm.

As an owner that has a twice a year wash schedule, I'm perplexed over the hand wringing.

I look at the grime on my wheels as a patina - until I need it chiseled off.

Jeeze; I'm just happy the door opens, truck starts and I have have no vibrations when haulin' ***. It does stop 5500lb pretty good.

You'll have noise with harder disks and they may have to heat up to stop as good as the soft compound in city driving. It's the nature of the animal.
So when you launch your boat does that count as one of your cars twice yearly baths?
Old 09-14-2004, 12:19 PM
Torags
Three Wheelin'

An auto bidet?.................. Oh what a groaner, ugh.........
Old 09-14-2004, 12:22 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 973 Likes on 591 Posts

Blade, which Pagid pad did you get for the Cayenne? Same size for S or TT?
Old 09-14-2004, 02:34 PM
Blade-MD
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Same size for both vehicles. They are the Street pads. No color designation.
Old 09-14-2004, 08:08 PM
Torags
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Raptor
Johnhct:
U.S. information: [orp e-mail: http://www.bendix.com.au/_contacting-us.asp

Torags: Maybe. However, I've never have had squeals on my 911 SC and Carrera (albeit, much lighter than the truck).
The bearing surface has a lot to do with the dust thrown off. The S has a higher braking bearing surface. It's designed to stop truck weight & tow load.

Squealing is the result of brake glaze. I f you do more city driving with light use of brakes frequently, you'll probably have squeal. Squeal is also associated with harder pads (also sintered), until they heat up.

Usually a hard brake stomp will take away squeal, if it's bothersome.

BTW, I haven't read your links, just my experience.
Old 09-20-2004, 12:45 PM
M-Phibian
Instructor

FYI for anyone that is planning on purchasing the Paragon Brake Pads....they are OEM pads and will NOT reduce brake dust. Here is the reply I received from Paragon when I asked about the pads:

Scott,

At the moment these are OE pads so the dusting will remain the same. I'm sure at some point there will be Metalmasters available and those pad will reduce the dusting.

Thanks!

Jason P. Burkett
Paragon Products, Inc.
www.paragon-products.com
361-289-8834 Tech
800-200-9366 Order
Old 09-25-2004, 10:49 AM
Blade-MD
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Default Pagid brake pads

Here is an e-mail response I received from Pagid regarding their brake pads for the Cayenne:

dear john,
pagid are stock pads for porsche cayenne and the vw touareg. organic material is creating dust while performing the braking (due to the air cooling flow out of the wheel). unfortunately we cannot do anything about. the importance is the safety of this high perfomance vehicle.
i am using for all my german cars P21S wheel cleaner which does an outstanding job.
best regards,
volker natorp

Paragon sells Pagid brake pads which would appear to be the stock pads for the Cayenne. I tried to confirm with our dealer that in fact Pagid manufactures the pads for the Cayenne. The parts department here in Tacoma couldn't confirm that the replacement pads they had in stock were Pagid or not.

I corresponded with another Cayenne owner via e-mail regarding replacement pads. Here is his response:

Hello:
Sorry it took so long to respond as we are busy with
flooding in our neighborhood and entertaining
hurricanes on the weekends.
Yes I was able to get pads from paragon and they
sent me Pagid brand, much lower dust!
My wife got clipped going thru a GREEN arrow
thursday nite by some kid who was in too big a hurry
to wait for his green.
So our cayenne is off to the body shop sometime in
the comming week to repair the right rear quarter, it
caught the tire and barked up the wheel as well.
Fortunately there is a dealer near work that does
paint and body, when calling around it was amazing how
few Porsche dealers do body and paint?
Be careful out there! and stay safe!!!!

If anyone out there knows more or has replaced their pads, please post!! If in fact Pagid is the stock pad for the Cayenne then there is obviously no reason to replace.
Old 09-25-2004, 06:46 PM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have cross drilled and cryofrozen my front rotors and ran cooling ducts I need pagid orange pads! Oh and please dont respond to this if you are a disgruntled 911 racer I take my cayenne to DE's cause I like to and enjoy it! This car provides alot of service and fun for me so no crap please!
Old 09-25-2004, 08:36 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by tkerrmd
I have cross drilled and cryofrozen my front rotors and ran cooling ducts I need pagid orange pads!
May I ask why you think you need Pagid Orange, as opposed to say Black?
Perhaps you might be better off by merely replacing the front calipers/rotors to something which would allow for greater pad selection.
May I ask what brake fluid you are running?
May I ask what DE run group you are in?

[/QUOTE] Oh and please dont respond to this if you are a disgruntled 911 racer I take my cayenne to DE's cause I like to and enjoy it! This car provides alot of service and fun for me so no crap please![/QUOTE]

I take my Cayenne to DE's as well, attached to a 20' enclosed aluminum trailer.
No, I'm not disgruntled, just respectful of the laws of physics and thermodynamics.
FWIW, there are some PCA regions, which if they even allow Cayennes, restrict them to Green/Yellow.
Please be careful with your current setup if you intend on advancing into higher run groups.
Old 09-26-2004, 12:10 PM
mm
Track Day

Default ...

Originally Posted by M-Phibian
...Please don't give me just a brand name and nothing else...I'm looking for a place I can actually purchase them from...
would you like me to drive you there too???

haha...just kidding...

...I have my pepper washed at the house once a week by a mobile detail crew. They do a good job of cleaning the entire wheel properly so residue dust doesn't build up and become a problem. I can see having to wash the wheels twice a week but "three" seems excessive. Maybe you can put some wax on your wheels so the dust will slide off. Good Luck.
Old 09-28-2004, 12:52 AM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

ltc / lewis

I have the blue fluid and run in the blue run group (last before solo or yellow in our club). You have great cars and lots of experience and I appreciate you putting up with me. Everything you have said is right. Obviously, all my buddies have 911's and are the ones that got me to run the cay on the track. They have all given me positive feedback from the track. I do use my turn signals to indicate when to pass and for the most part stay out of the way and have fun. I get some brake fade towards the end of a second twenty minute session that responds well to braking a little earlier and still very safe.
After reading your physics lession I felt the orange pads would be better do to the heat but I doubt they will every be obtainable. Thought about the 15" brembos but Im deciding on the cayTT and so may save the cash for that.
Any infor is appreciated
Old 09-28-2004, 01:22 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Tom,
I am by no means trying to rain on your parade. You should absolutely enjoy your Porsche. I look forward to track time more than anything else (as my wife will testify to....at length).

My concern is for the safety of yourself and those around you, as the Cayenne is new to DE (and a ton+ more in weight than anything else out on the track with you). I am completely unsure as to what an 'off' in a Cayenne would be like and don't want anyone to have to find out.

It is a scary moment when you go for brakes and you don't have enough (something only shared between you, your suit manufacturer and your dry cleaner), and the extra ton+ would make that even more interesting.
It is interesting that the S and Turbo have the same brakes (just different color), so a Turbo, given it's greater HP/straight line speed potential, would impose more (thermal) stress on the braking system.

As you have no options for pads (to date), and you are progressing in speed/run groups and have a little fade starting, I would suggest a fluid with a higher wet boiling point than ATE Blue/Gold; something like Castrol SRF or Motul 600.

BTW, did you mean hand signals for passing when you said directionals? I've never seen directionals used for passing signals; always a hand out and/or over the roof of the car for passing.

Last edited by ltc; 09-28-2004 at 09:32 PM.
Old 09-28-2004, 06:43 PM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Lewis,
Thanks again! At this point the max I plan to do is yellow solo driving. As safe as possible. There are 914's old 911's mini's etc out there all in yellow so I figured I would give it a go.
I have ATE blue and appreciate your help. Im disappointed that no one at my shop had suggested that! I will change. At the driver meeting they specifically asked me to hand signal and use the turn signal to indicate the side to pass on for visual safety. No problems so far.
thanks again Ill change my fluid and stay safe thanks for understanding

Quick Reply: Brake pads