Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Do you experience lag or delay?
Yes, I have a experienced lag or delay problems!
71.72%
No, I am damned lucky!
22.22%
Yes and it was fixed (please tell us how!!!)
6.06%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

Do you have a Lag or Delay Problem?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2004, 12:50 AM
jamy85
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OZR.... I did what you told us to do today. I dont know if it actually works or not but honestly I do feel an improvement.
Thx :-)
Old 09-07-2004, 01:17 AM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

The poll is poorly worded , I just got my 05 and there is absolutely no lag..but I don't feel it is luck, therefore I couldn't respond. My 04 had some slight hesitation that was midly irritating but I never had the opportunity to see about it.

Why not provide a simple "no" choice.
Old 09-07-2004, 02:10 AM
Josh Warner
Rennlist Member

Colm, which '05 model did you get?
Old 09-07-2004, 09:56 AM
Control It
Instructor

Originally Posted by Colm
The poll is poorly worded , I just got my 05 and there is absolutely no lag..but I don't feel it is luck, therefore I couldn't respond. My 04 had some slight hesitation that was midly irritating but I never had the opportunity to see about it.

Why not provide a simple "no" choice.
Because I would consider myself 'damned lucky', if I did not have this lag problem, which so far seems to be in the majority.

I am pissed that this problem exists and am dubious it will ever be truly fixed. Had this problem on my Allroad and it was so bad, I had to get rid of the car...My gf's Toureg has it to an extent but not as bad as the Cayenne.

While you do not consider yourself 'lucky' that you do not have the lag, I do and am glad for you.
Old 09-07-2004, 11:08 AM
bancu
Racer

Default Ahh...to have a Touareg at hand to compare with

Originally Posted by controlit
My gf's Toureg has it to an extent but not as bad as the Cayenne.
Does your GF use the Touareg's sport mode?

Is it a later build Touareg or has she had any of the DME and transmission updates from VW applied?
Old 09-07-2004, 05:13 PM
Control It
Instructor

Good questions...I will ask her when we are talking again...o boy....
Old 09-07-2004, 05:23 PM
bancu
Racer

Originally Posted by controlit
...I will ask her when we are talking again...
I shouldn't but, ROFL. Thanks I needed a bright Cayenne related moment today.

Hope things (GFI and otherwise) work out.
Old 09-07-2004, 06:38 PM
ajauch
Instructor

Can we get a more detailed version of this? Are we only talking about transmission kickdown delay? Or is this different. I would like my transmission to kick down faster, but I wouldn't call that a safety issue. On the other hand, if there is a serious lag in throttle response once you're in the right gear, that's a real problem.

So, yes I'd like my tranny to kick down faster. No, I don't notice perceptable lag if I'm in the right gear. So, for example, on the freeway at 55mph the tip selects 6th gear. If I need a burst of acceleration, I either floor it and force a kickdown (some delay but not more than other AT's) or I hit the tip's downshift button. Downshifting manually produces near instant response. The other related note is that there is a "kickdown button" when you fully depress the accelerator. Pressing past this button also results in an instant kickdown.

Do others have a different experience?

Alex
Old 09-07-2004, 07:36 PM
Control It
Instructor

Bancu, glad I made you smile...

ALex, I have the same experience as you do and most of it is good.

What we are talking about is the Cayenne deciding not to go...usually at low speed, often in a turn, it just can sit and do nothing until it decides...It is pretty obvious and disturbing.

BUT, since I tried that 'fix', it has NOT done it.

Love the CS, seems to be getting better and better...God my gas mileage is pathetic!
Old 09-07-2004, 08:07 PM
Aeson
Advanced

I have what I would consider a delay compared to other vehicles. As soon as a press the accelerator I expect a response. My CS's initial response time is considerable slower than my BMW 545 or my Jag S-type R. I know that’s not a fair comparison but I still expect it to react sooner than it does.
Old 09-07-2004, 08:10 PM
Josh Warner
Rennlist Member

Gas mileage?? I'm trying to restrain my self on the pedal pushes and am now back to 10.4 mpg...
Old 09-07-2004, 08:14 PM
bancu
Racer

Originally Posted by ajauch
Can we get a more detailed version of this?
Hi Alex,

Well it's a safety issue to me with my Cayenne. The throttle gets pressed the Cayenne 'moves' then doesn't go for a few seconds while traffic is bearing down on you.

Don’t feel bad if you can't pick it up. I read about this behavior well in advance of ever driving a Cayenne. I held out buying for months and drove several Cayennes looking for the behavior. I couldn't reproduce it on any of them during a test drive. That includes having a Cayenne S out overnight. I chalk it up to the fact that they were demo trucks that got trashed most of the time. I also looked for the behavior on the Cayenne Turbo that I bought and couldn't reproduce it. Then it happened to me in town one day after I'd had the Cayenne for a couple of months.

To date, I've had it happen pulling out into traffic from a stop, merging into Interstate traffic and taking 90 degree turns.

The killer is that the hesitation is unpredictable. It's like you're playing throttle roulette with the Cayenne. Several of us also have either automatic BMW x5's or Mercedes MLs and can attest to the fact that we've never experienced any thing like this in those vehicles (or any other e-gas, traction/stability control or turbo equipped vehicles).

Tipping or blipping the transmission down and driving aggressively help, but I've still been hit by it when I'm not 'on' the Cayenne. The reality is that you can't be on the Cayenne all the time in the city. I'd also venture to say that you can be 'on' a Cayenne Turbo even less in city traffic. You also can't teach _everyone_ that might drive it once in a blue moon all the tricks to getting better odds with the Cayenne's throttle roulette.

The behavior is so real that Porsche has an 'anti' TSB out on it. Scroll down to see it in this post:

"Customer complaints regarding engine operation and engine driving performance...
These measures do not Remedy the complaints!"

https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-955-957-2003-2010/152858-dme-upgrade.html

The shame of it all is that the people that this is hitting love their Cayennes. Most of just aren't willing to accept that we have to live with a defect (to me one that impacts the day-to-day safety) in such and incredible vehicle. Check this review out and you'll see what I mean:

http://www.rennteam.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=29600

Different people think it is caused by different things and describe it (and follow-on behavior) with differently. Early on I described it as a non-linear response from the throttle. For other descriptions see:

https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-955-957-2003-2010/98019-lurching.html

http://www.rennteam.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=44650

https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-955-957-2003-2010/156780-acceleration-gap-turbo-or-transmission-04-vs-05-models.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-955-957-2003-2010/156644-lag.html

http://www.rennteam.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=34692

http://www.rennteam.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=30026

You can also search for DME, Kickdown, lag, hesitation and lurch
Old 09-07-2004, 09:31 PM
Control It
Instructor

Originally Posted by Aeson
I have what I would consider a delay compared to other vehicles. As soon as a press the accelerator I expect a response. My CS's initial response time is considerable slower than my BMW 545 or my Jag S-type R. I know that’s not a fair comparison but I still expect it to react sooner than it does.
Try the fix that was posted. It seems to help. I am also playing around driving in Tip Mode which is more fun than I thought,,,
Old 09-07-2004, 09:32 PM
Control It
Instructor

Originally Posted by Josh Warner
Gas mileage?? I'm trying to restrain my self on the pedal pushes and am now back to 10.4 mpg...
I was ashamed to post it but yeah...10.4 sounds right...God.. much better on the highway...especially downhill.

Maybe all this lag stuff is to increase gas mileage...I mean if you are not moving, I assume you are saving gas....
Old 09-07-2004, 09:53 PM
Control It
Instructor

Bancu, great post!

Throttle roulette. EXACTLY.

I am glad someone understands!

Mark

Quick Reply: Do you have a Lag or Delay Problem?