Sponsored by:

Lag

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2004, 09:10 AM
Control It
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lag

One of the reasons I waited to get an 05 CS was that I had hoped the lag problem would have been ironed out by now...WHile my CS seems better in this regard to my friends 03, I am noticing the same lag problem.

The truck can actually 'sit' for a few seconds, I am developing the habit of shifting down a gear and giving more throttle but sometimes it just doesnt want to go!

THis is maddening and dangerous. I know there have been threads on this before. Anyone have any success stories or do not have this problem?

It seems much more commonplace than the infamous 'sudden acceleration' problem Audi had in the 80's..

I have noticed this exact problem on my Allroad, my gf's Toureg and now my CS!

Is it goining to take someone to die before Porsche, Audi, VW takes this problem seriously?

I must have sat for 4 full seconds after merging in a tight traffic situation yesterday...I thought the other driver was going to flip out as this new Porsche cuts him off and refuses to move!
Old 09-04-2004, 09:56 AM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

There are many threads which discuss this issue, even tho' descriptions and names for the problem vary.

The fixes which have been tried by dealers to date have vastly improved the situation but not removed it. (Throttle (kickdown) Adaptation (TSB) DME Reprogram, Tiptronic update)

What month was your 05 manufactured ?
Old 09-04-2004, 10:01 AM
Control It
Instructor

Thanks for the reply. I have read many threads about this problem in the past but was wondering if it was ever 'solved'.

It does feel better than my friends 03 and I knew this was an issue when I got it..

I think it was manufactured in June 04...have to check that.

I love the CS though, air suspension is a huge improvement over my friends 03, at least on the roads around here...

I think if I complain to the dealer now, I will be taken much more seriously than if I wait, as they are very concerned I give them a good satisfaction report..
Old 09-04-2004, 10:21 AM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree complaining now is the way to go. I know Porsche are working on it for 04/03's but think they think its fixed on 05's, unless yours contains some 04 componants which happens during model year changes.
Old 09-04-2004, 10:24 AM
Control It
Instructor

Any specific part numbers I can refer to when discussing this?
Old 09-04-2004, 10:59 PM
ozr
Racer

Talking

Following below reset procedure will help you TEMPORARILY for about 1 mo, until adaptive trany PROGRAM will learn your SLOW/LAZY driving style AGAIN in 1 mo. time...

... my very deep software products/industry knowledge tells me, car hesitates on downshift, when trany SOFTware program ABBENDS/ creates exception and just hangs there, not knowing where to go...
...I STRONGLY believe, German PROGRAMMERS used for this (starting from AUDI, VW and now Porsche...) created NOT very RELIABLE code for these cars. Cheap PORSCHE AG even did not PAID for a new SOFTWARE DEVELOPMENT for Porsche, they used OLD BUGGY CODE from Audi/VW. Specifically, programs do not EXIT/RESET itself RELIABLY when they crash/abbend/create exception/gracefully exit...

So UNTIL permanent fix you may live well with following below reset procedure, try it, you'll understand...

RESET/REBOOTcar adaptive software by listed below procedure and let us all know results:

1. get out of the car and lock it.
2. unlock it and get in, DO NOT TOUCH/SWITCH ON ANYTHING (like radio, CD, lights, AC and other appliances...)
3. insert a key, DO NOT PRESS ANY pedals and turn a key into position #2 ("Start Engine" position) and release (like , when you start a car).
4. wait for 60 sec. may be a little more for SURE result.
5. turn the key OFF
6. press the Brakes pedal, Start the car AS USUAL and drive.
7. drive aggressivelly for about 5 mi on speeds 10-50 mi/h and 60-80 mi /h VARIING speed.

After that driving revert to your NORMAL driving style. Check for any car changed behaviour AFTER 1-3 car starts.

Report your findings.

This procedure SHOULD clear BUGGY German programmers code EXCEPTION and just reset/restart/reboot this program...

And also drive Cayenne aggressively, NOT LAZY/SLOW. Seems like Adaptive stupid Program learns SLOW/LAZY driver style very fast! Driving tiptronic/aggressively and also w PSM Off seems like KILLS/FIGHTS this stupid learning PROGRAM. And as a result car drives MUCH better, without HESITATION on DOWNSHIFT.

This is my experience with this car...

Last edited by ozr; 09-05-2004 at 12:37 AM.
Old 09-05-2004, 03:17 AM
gchu
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have my 05 CS for a week now. I have the same lag problem as well.
Old 09-05-2004, 03:53 AM
jhunt@huntinter
Pro

Wonder if this has anything to do with how Audi's automatically release the accerator when the brakes are depressed. They thought this was a great idea at the time, probably some idiot software engineer thinking that if the driver is braking they couldn't possibly want to depress the gas. It's a pain in the *** in my Audi because the damn thing lags when you let off the brakes and get back on the gas (for a quick pass for instance or... merging into traffic.. .etc.... I do use the brakes and gas at the same time, learned how in my '79 930 at the track. I think Porsche forgot there own lessons.
Old 09-05-2004, 03:43 PM
Control It
Instructor

I will try that fix later...Hard to drive so agressively when you first buy it!! Break in!
Old 09-05-2004, 09:02 PM
woogiedaxel
Instructor

I thought you drive it hard even during break in period to have car respond faster and have better shifting since the computer is learning this behavior right off the bat. Of course this vehicle prob wont last as long mechanically if you plan to keep if lest say for severaly years or after warranty expired. Since a lot of people with these Cay's probably will get rid of in 2,3, or 4 years max -( basically b4 warranty expiration), would it really matter then to drive it hard so you can get maximum performance if you are not planning to keep car lets say after 50,000 miles. ?? I may wrong but just curious as to others thoughts on this?
Old 09-05-2004, 09:03 PM
woogiedaxel
Instructor

Sorry for grammar errors i typed to fast!
Old 09-05-2004, 09:57 PM
Control It
Instructor

I think you are right and that is what my good friend and mechanic said...I doubt very much I will keep the CS more than 4 years. I don't want to abuse it but I don't think I have to baby it so miuch either.
Old 09-05-2004, 11:01 PM
Truble10
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 92 Posts
Question

My opinion on engine break in has always been to break it in like you would normally drive and do hold a cetain speen for any long length of time. I broke my CS in aggressively. Anyone who has ever driven in Scottsdale knows how we drive - foot to the floor and slam on the brakes at the next stoplight.

That said my 04 CS still has a fairly bad hesitation I realized this when I was behind a driver making a left turn the other day with no left turn lane. After he turned I put my foot to the floor and went nowhere. After several cars raced past me like I was tied to a fence post, I hit the tip controll and went down a couple of gears.

What a helpless feeling. I have never really used the tip much but I think I will as I have no confidence with the auto transmission.
Old 09-05-2004, 11:04 PM
Control It
Instructor

THis is just amazing...Amazingly bad I think. seems so crazy that this has not been officially addressed. This could easily be a dangerous problem,,,
Old 09-06-2004, 02:39 AM
bancu
Racer

Default Couldn't agree more

Originally Posted by controlit
This could easily be a dangerous problem
It _is_ a dangerous problem and you are not alone in thinking this.

This goes way beyond the performance workarounds that some Cayenne owners seem to be willing to put up with. It's a safety issue plain and simple that is hitting Cayenne and Touareg owners. The Touareg owners just seem to less accepting of the issue and VW seems to be doing more for them.

See this link for the NHTSA reports on the Touareg:
https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...8&page=2&pp=15

You may also want to follow this thread:
http://www.rennteam.com/showflat.php...0&page=0#44650

Last edited by bancu; 09-13-2004 at 12:54 PM. Reason: clarity

Quick Reply: Lag