Sponsored by:

Acceleration GAP "Turbo or Transmission / 04 vs 05 Models?"

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2004, 06:21 AM
sims
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Acceleration GAP "Turbo or Transmission / 04 vs 05 Models?"

I know, it has been discussed many times before. Different theories on what, how and when it was/can/will be fixed. But I have now come to a point, where I am really fed up, experiencing the 1-2 seconds delay, when pulling the throttle (hey, this is a Porsche and 100k car). The Audi RS6 does not experience this at all. The Porsche dealer is no help at all (first denying the fact and than playing it down).

Question: Is there a known fix that will force my dealer to deal with it OR do I need to swap the car? I would appreciate some help. Thank you.

Last edited by mudman2; 09-10-2004 at 11:27 PM.
Old 09-05-2004, 09:58 PM
docjackson1
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have a cayenne s and have the same problem-i took it to the dealer, and they gave me a "software fix", which has helped some. i think that the real problem is that when you want to accelerate, the car seems to always be in too high of a gear. it seems to go down no lower than 2nd gear when you come to a stop. my advice is to hit the tiptronic downshift button on your steering wheel 1 time whenever you want to really accelerate. this has proved very effective for me. obviously, if you want to put it in the shift mode and manually change gears, the car will accelerate better. to just downshift 1 time when you accelerate, you can keep it in the auto mode. hope this helps.
Old 09-06-2004, 04:29 AM
sims
Advanced

Thank you. I guess, I am too lazy to do manual interaction.
Old 09-06-2004, 12:57 PM
bancu
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I guess, I am too lazy to do manual interaction.

If wanting a safe vehicle is laziness, I'm as lazy as you are. It's not laziness, it's a safety issue.

This is an everyday driver. What about someone else driving your Cayenne? How can any owner be expected reset the systems and/or to 'teach' everyone that might their Cayenne? The Cayenne doesn't 'go' like any other SUV in its class (let alone vehicle). While I enjoy the upside of being able to push the truck, the downside (leaving me dead in the water as I pull into traffic) does not balance out the equation. It's just not safe or acceptable.

I think Cayenne owners adapting to and working around this issue is one of the reasons it has gone unresolved for so long by Porsche. The Touareg owners don't seem as willing to put up with this behavior and VW has been responsive by not only coming up with DME but transmission related updates. See this thread:

http://www.rennteam.com/showflat.php...0&fpart=2&vc=1

Admittedly, VW's responsiveness could be because the Touareg owners seem more willing to report this issue to the NHTSA. See this link for the NHTSA reports on the Touareg:

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforu...58&page=2&pp=15

Last edited by bancu; 07-11-2006 at 06:58 PM.
Old 09-06-2004, 01:17 PM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Turn off your PSM and drive around a little. Now that's fun and how the Cayennes are often used when they are at the track!
Old 09-06-2004, 01:51 PM
bancu
Racer

Default "Turn off your PSM and drive around a little."

Originally Posted by JFScheck
Now that's fun and how the Cayennes are often used when they are at the track!
Actually this is dependent on the vehicle. Turning the PSM on some Cayennes changes the gear they start off in (1st vs. 2nd) and seems change the shift points. In others it doesn't appear to have any impact on the issue that Sims (and other Cayenne owners) have.

Build differences and all out performance driving aside, why should we have to turn off a safety feature to make our vehicles as safe (related to not having a dead throttle pedal in traffic) as other vehicles for everyday driving?
Old 09-09-2004, 03:46 AM
sims
Advanced

To me, the biggest dissapointment is the unresponsivness of Porsche and its dealer network. The service model of Porsche is not satisfactory and I will not support Porsche going forward unless I am going to see a change in behaviour.
Old 09-10-2004, 11:26 AM
bancu
Racer

Originally Posted by sims
To me, the biggest dissapointment is the unresponsivness of Porsche and its dealer network.
I couldn't agree more. Porsche does not seem to be open to input and some dealers are blocking and filtering important customer concerns.

Given the multi country origin of our concerns, I think it's clear that a good deal of our frustration is the result of the way Porsche is trying to deal (or not deal with) its customer base.
Old 09-10-2004, 11:54 AM
Vino
Racer

I don't know why Porsche would avoid such an easy fix.

As I have seen many German companys in the last 7 years, when they ride a wave too high they seem to treat clientel at a sub-par level, some kind of god-like way of thinking.
VW was on that wave until finding it self ranked near last in customer satisfaction, and with some cars having basic technology, nothing special. Now they are slowly coming back to a more customer orientated way of thinking after some lawsuits and lemons.

Thanks to the Cayenne Porsche is still rolling and should be all over this car. Don't tell me in the 4 years of testing the Cayenne they didn't notice this problem?

I have noticed the problem on our cayenne as well with PSM on. Boost is all the way up and I need to merge into another lane, but 5th gear going 35 is BS. You hammer it and 70 in a 45 is rediculous LOL! If it moves to third it would be perfect.
Having someone else drive the car and teach them that it has a mind of it's own is not normal.

PSM off is great but you have to feather the car or it drives super agressive in city driving, on the highway it is perfect.

There seems to be more of an issue with the clueless transmission considering everybody has it. This should become a letter to Porsche as the vibration problem is on here, which I don't have knock on wood.

How I generally know Porsche, they will probably take there time in a good way and make sure the problem gets fixed correctly the first time. Otherwise, considering the cost of the car and being a safety issue they need to move some *** on this.
Old 09-10-2004, 12:22 PM
bancu
Racer

Vino,

Your points are dead on. It must be the moutain air <g>.

Do you do a good deal of intercity driving?
Old 09-10-2004, 04:00 PM
Vino
Racer

bancu,

The car does most of it's driving in the inner city, probably one of the worst in the west, Boulder, CO.

"must be the mountain air" HAHA!

Where are you located?

The reason why we bought the Turbo was because of the altitiude. Non-aspirated cars lose 20% of their power up here so basically you take a cayenne S and cut the power by 20% and with AC and a full load the car becomes a dog compared to sea level.

Boost can actually take a bit more time to come on and give it's full potention but the HP % loss with forced induction is minimal.

Otherwise, with some driving I have found if you push the pedal down very quickly to any level, lets say past 2 inches, it will click down a gear or two and holds it for a few seconds without reving to high.
On an S it may work perfect.

Otherwise we love the car to death, just does everthing we need it to do an more.
Old 09-10-2004, 07:00 PM
bancu
Racer

Default Cayenne at altitude

Vino,

Your reasons for a Cayenne Turbo mirror mine. I do most my driving in the city just a few miles away from you and I'll be in The Hill area on Saturday. Hmmm...I might just have to take the canyon route to get that Cayenne smile on my face <g>.

I remember when I was looking at the Cayenne and T-reg v10 popped up on the horizon. A friend that lives down south just couldn't understand what I could use all that power for. I noted that 'little hamsters' can get pretty tired at altitude and going up to the Eisenhower tunnel can just be plain nasty without a running start. Ahhh...but in the CT...it eats the Eisenhower is nothing.

I hear you on blipping the pedal. It's a everyday several trick with the Cayenne and seems to make it down shift much quicker and reliably than when I can Tip it. I agree that it would probably work even better on the S.

Keep on enjoying that CT and stay out of the path of those CU riots <g>.
Old 09-10-2004, 08:03 PM
Vino
Racer

Nice to see a native with a CT!!........very rare

Your point about the hampster is right on the money!

You need to do left hand canyon, one of the best canyons to roll on, it will for sure put a smile on you and the Cayenne's face : )
I assume you'ren, same here!! Good luck finding parking on The Hill this Saturday if there is a game. I hate Broadway with a passion especially after a game and I drive it almost everyday.

Our CT's eat Eisenhauer like a small kiddy snack. What I love most is when you get an E39 M5 or E46 M3 smell the back of your car and when they try to pass in maximum gear you can run away like they really hit the brakes, that is how bad altitude is on NA cars over 8000ft LOL!

We have a BMW so I am not putting them down.

Did you buy your car local?
Have you talked to any dealers about your issue? We've had good success so far with Stammler and the owner is a good guy! When the first oil service comes up I will mention it to them and lurk this board if the issue gets resolved.

Take care and have fun on The Hill this Saturday!
BTW, my Mother drives the car more than me so if you see a small Spanish lady in a titanium silver CT wave, she will gladly wave back as she has yet to meet another owner.
Old 09-10-2004, 09:21 PM
bancu
Racer

Default My CT is not sexiest about who it leaves sitting in traffic

You're braver than me to wait for the first oil change to bring the lag/hesitation thing up. I've been left traffic one to many times. I'm also concerned that Porsche isn't getting enough feed back from the field that this is a safety issue. Some folks have been fighting this out since last year and Porsche still doesn't seem to get it.

I'm really a transplant and not a native but I did start coming out here when I was pretty young so I hope you don't hold it against me too much <g>.

Thanks for the tip on Left Hand canyon. I don't think I've done that one.

Just checked and thankfully there's not supposed to be football game this weekend. I guess it's time for me to start factoring that in again.

I picked my CT down south. I'm back'n forth with clients so it was just as easy to do the deal down there and I found the sales folks (I didn't hit Stammler when I was looking) much more relaxing to deal with. I actually talk to my salesman about a 997 (and the hesitation issue) this week and it was just as enjoyable. It would take a lot for the sales folks out here to win me over.

I've talked with several Colorado dealers about the hesitation issue (one wanted to know if the Cayenne had PSM <g>) when I was shopping for servicing dealer out here. I've have been working the problem with one. They've been really good but everything that could be done has already been done so it was off to talk with PCNA. After talking with the Service Manager at the dealer it became very clear to me that even when a dealer is on the ball they are really stuck in the middle on this issue.

That's funny about your Mom. I'll keep an eye out for her. My Mom was really hesitant to drive the CT. She's got a bit of lead foot and got spoiled enough when I've left my ML55 down south. Mind you she's got a SL560 that's no slouch even to day but it's just not a refined as even the ML. Of course she loves the CT and I'm just very thankfully that it never hesitated when she was babysitting it.

Don’t get me wrong, my CT is not sexiest about who it leaves sitting in traffic...it has hung both my wife and I out to dry. Thankfully my wife listens to my ranting more than I realized. She didn't over correct when the CT balked on her as she merged on to I-70 between to 18 wheelers. I was really impressed with how she handled it. All I heard from was "Hmm!" I opened my eyes and realize what was happening. She hung in there, finished the merge and said:

"I'm really glad you told me about the dead throttle thing. It just went dead and if you hadn't primed me I would have stepped on the pedal more to try and get it to go. I'm sure that would have put is into the back of the other 18 wheeler when it decided to give me what I originally asked for and more."

Needless to say she still prefers driving the ML55. Not that I blame her. I really don't enjoy giving up the predictability around town of the 55 for the throttle roulette of CT. Get me on a twisty mountain rode and my tune changes of course.

Hey speaking of driving things to do in Colorado...have you been to Winter Driving School in Steamboat? Oh boy you talk about fun. Those guys have been at it for 20 years and put up two tracks now. We make it a point to head up there every year.
Old 09-11-2004, 12:11 AM
Vino
Racer

Don't worry, be happy where you are from, I was born in this Granola, yuppie town LOL!

My Mom had the car in her Garage for 2 weeks when we got it in December, she was scared as hell at first, she now has 2 citations so you don't have the only Female with a leaded foot.

My wife can't drive big cars for the life of god, she is the Curb check queen!

I am going to the dealer with this info hopefully next month, the car has 3600 miles on it so it will be interesting and I will push this.

Also, we should go for a drive and you can see if there is any difference, this is our first drive-by-wire car our buid date is 08/2003 but is considered 04.

Never heard about the Steamboat drive, you'll have to fill me in.

IM me one of these Days and we can compare cars with this floating transmission

Quick Reply: Acceleration GAP "Turbo or Transmission / 04 vs 05 Models?"