Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Do you experience lag or delay?
Yes, I have a experienced lag or delay problems!
71.72%
No, I am damned lucky!
22.22%
Yes and it was fixed (please tell us how!!!)
6.06%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

Do you have a Lag or Delay Problem?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2004, 09:45 PM
Control It
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mudman

Great post and my exact same observations with the Tip module upgrade.

So far so good. Not perfect. Dissapointing in a low corner...

Not 'grand mal' seizures yet and not lay down and die refuse to freaking move in traffics....yet...

I am happy that we got to this point and I do not have to pursue a lawsuit to get a refund from POrsche but I still wish it were better..

But I can live with this...(so far!)

Mark
Old 10-08-2004, 09:52 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Good to hear it Mark, but were not finished yet !

Mike
Old 10-08-2004, 09:56 PM
Control It
Instructor

So, Mike, are we getting snow tires or what??

haa
Old 10-08-2004, 09:58 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

I am sticking to the Conti M & S, they were great last year, on 18s of course.

:-)
Old 10-08-2004, 10:01 PM
Control It
Instructor

That is what I have...was thinking of snows but maybe I will give the 18's with M&S tires a chance...
Old 10-09-2004, 11:28 PM
1988carrera
Instructor

It is interesting to note from some of the above posts that '05s were getting W516 (DME) and also W515 (Transmission) mods done, but when I called my SM on friday (have not received any communication from PCNA) he said my CS has only W516 and W424 to be done and he is back ordered on some parts for the headlights...to call back later.

However, my CS though starts in D2, if I step hard on the gas from a stop it will jump to D1 and take off.....have seen the tach go up on a few occasions to 7K...past the redline!!!! (usually it drops into D2...D3...at 6K). Ofcourse, with PSM off....starts in D1 and goes up. Never had any lag problem. Wonder what else the new upgrade can do....since I do not have any of the problems you guys talk about. Will see after the mod is done.
Old 10-10-2004, 04:10 PM
philg3
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 72 Posts

I checked with PCNA regarding recalls on my 04 CT built in 03/03, and the ones applicable were:
W406 Towing Control Unit
W420 Replace switch in rear window hatch
W424 Headlight Vents
W516 DME Update

So, I don't get the W515 Transmission update either, although I'm not too concerned because my dealer did a software fix that eliminated the lag and improved performance significantly. But I'm wondering about the W516 DME update as the guy from PCNA described it as a "Check Engine Light" fix, but he didn't seem too sure of himself. Does anyone know what this W516 fix is suppose to accomplish? Has anyone had it done? If so, what was the result?
Old 10-11-2004, 07:39 AM
GM Austin
Pro

I've had it done and I'm still evaluating it. I think there may be more to it than just a "check engine" light fix.
Old 10-17-2004, 10:15 PM
Control It
Instructor

Well, I finally had a chance to drive the CS into NY city today....that is the ultimate test fot the lag, hesitation problem...

Since the updates and the transmission module replacement, I have noticed quite an improvement.

BUT I must say, I was very disappointed in how the CS performed in NY traffic. It was pitiful. I tried PSM off, manually shifting and so forth but NY traffic require razor sharp shifting. THe CS was just no fun and was lurching and lagging almost as bad as before the transmission module update.

I hate to say it but I just don;t think POrsche will ever get this just right and I am very disappointed with my Cayenne as a result.

SOmetimes I think I would enjoy a CT but the more I would have spent the more pissed I would be.

SOmeone stopped me today because they were thinking of buying one, I told them that I would not buy it again and that they might really hate it since they lived in the city.

In most other conditions, the CS is really great. I love it when it works. Hate it when it disappoints...Reminds me of my ex-wife...
Old 10-18-2004, 02:08 AM
ozr
Racer

Talking

Originally Posted by controlit
Well, I finally had a chance to drive the CS into NY city today....that is the ultimate test fot the lag, hesitation problem...

Since the updates and the transmission module replacement, I have noticed quite an improvement.

BUT I must say, I was very disappointed in how the CS performed in NY traffic. It was pitiful. I tried PSM off, manually shifting and so forth but NY traffic require razor sharp shifting. THe CS was just no fun and was lurching and lagging almost as bad as before the transmission module update.

SOmeone stopped me today because they were thinking of buying one, I told them that I would not buy it again and that they might really hate it since they lived in the city.

...everything is RELATIVE...

I drive in NYC ALL the time.
One may compare it with "driving in a jungle" with a lots of "predators" around you...
You NEED to know HOW to drive with CABBIES and quick cars around you in Manhattan... and CayS is GOOD.

MANY things are NOT Cayenne faults. But car IS heavy with lots of inertia...you'll feel this, when STOP-GO-STOP in Manhattan. So sharply stopping it requires EXTRA attention! But Cayenne breaks are EXCELLENT.

...just regular automatic program and also manual w PSM ON are sometimes a little slower, than you may NEED for the other GOOD quick cars around you.

...but automatic program w PSM OFF is JUST FINE, it USUALLY outperforms regular driver, driving "regular manually" w PSM ON...
...in that mode you get a pretty good CayS response for competitive razor sharp TRAFFIC around you!

If your car may have some software components version conflicts/compatibility issues/"bugs", that doesNOT mean ALL CaySs have such problems...

...one thing I would agree... in my professional experience, CAYENNE is NOT a car for a nonexperienced driver. Other cars are much easier to ADAPT TO/"extract all car potential" like MBs, BMWs, Lexuses for regular driver, than Cayenne...

...if you are not happy with your specific CayS, then sell it...

..I'm keeping mine, I LOVE IT for what it is...

Last edited by ozr; 10-18-2004 at 03:01 AM.
Old 10-18-2004, 03:01 AM
Truble10
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 92 Posts

My 04 Cs had the lag problem. Took it in for service on 10/13. They did the W516 DME reprogram and it made a night and day difference. Runs, shifts and accelerates as it should.
Old 10-18-2004, 10:28 AM
Control It
Instructor

I felt that my CS was almost 'fixed' after I had the reprogramming, updates and transmission module replaced. Only in the special agressive stop and go, NYC traffic did the old lurching and 'dead zone' shifting appear again.

I am more familiar with NYC traffic than any other. I grew up in NY and drove a cab for one year. I love the exitement and aggressiveness of it. In fact, my driving ability in NY is probably my best driving skill.

Perhaps as a result, I need or expect better performance from my CS. Not sure what you mean that "CAYENNE is NOT a car for a nonexperienced driver. Other cars are much easier to ADAPT TO/"extract all car potential" like MBs, BMWs, Lexuses for regular driver, than Cayenne..."

There is nothing I can 'do' to get the Cayenne to shift crisper and not lay down and respond to throttle inputs. Experience is not a factor here...

I have driven other Cayennes that have the same problem.

Many drivers would not notice these problems unless in demanding, stop and go, very agressive driving conditions. Probably because many people are not so sensitive to performance. Most people on boards like this, I would assume are more demanding of their Cayennes.

For whatever reason, my Cayenne in the conditions I describe is totally disappointing. Of course, I will bring it back once again to the dealer...maybe they can find the 'ghost in the machine"...

Or tell me to shut PSM off...haha....

Not even getting into the snooze the Cayenne takes most of the time in 10 mph turns....zzzzzzz
Old 10-18-2004, 12:52 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

I do not think what your decribing is a 'Problem' with the Cayenne. All cars with auto transmissions have some sort of lag, you most likely need a stick but as that is not available.....

I think you already hit the nail on the head, you will need to turn of PSM for those high rate up and high rate down situations, then you have the weight under control, never hit 6, spend most of the time in 4 and 3 and the response is as quick as any heavy car.

I know Phily is not as bad as NY but I do not see this problem at all.
Old 10-18-2004, 06:54 PM
flm
1st Gear

Originally Posted by controlit
I hate to say it but I just don;t think POrsche will ever get this just right and I am very disappointed with my Cayenne as a result.

Sorry to butt in! I agree and you are not alone with this issue; Porsche has not yet perfected the Tiptronic tranny unlike their 6MT. Even the 997 Tiptronic has similar performance. It is not your imagination that CS tranny is not as smooth and responsive as say a BMW X5/MB ML500 tranny.

Good Luck!
Old 10-20-2004, 05:57 PM
DC from Cape Cod
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts

I had the recent upgrade installed into my 2005 and it is FAR better now.....

Quick Reply: Do you have a Lag or Delay Problem?