Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Do you experience lag or delay?
Yes, I have a experienced lag or delay problems!
71.72%
No, I am damned lucky!
22.22%
Yes and it was fixed (please tell us how!!!)
6.06%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

Do you have a Lag or Delay Problem?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2004, 10:43 PM
dsquared
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

doesnt the cayenne start out in 2nd as a gas saving 'feature' and therefore a lag (not to be confused with the 'lag' issue)
Old 09-07-2004, 10:50 PM
Control It
Instructor

yes but that is not the problem..
Old 09-08-2004, 01:15 AM
bancu
Racer

Default Blip instead of Tip

Originally Posted by controlit
Try the fix that was posted. It seems to help. I am also playing around driving in Tip Mode which is more fun than I thought,,,
If you like Tipping you should try Blipping the throttle. Once you get it right the transmission will drop down one to three gears very quickly (faster than two to three Tips it seems to me). This also supposed to put the transmission into its most aggressive gear changing map for a period of time.

That written, we shouldn't have engage in the learned behavior (Tip, Blip or reset) to have safe vehicles that won't leave is 'hanging' in traffic.
Old 09-08-2004, 01:24 AM
bancu
Racer

Default Intercity Mostly?

Originally Posted by Aeson
I have what I would consider a delay compared to other vehicles. As soon as a press the accelerator I expect a response. My CS's initial response time is considerable slower than my BMW 545 or my Jag S-type R. I know that’s not a fair comparison but I still expect it to react sooner than it does.
Aeson,

Are you driving in intercity traffic mostly?

I think you made valid comparisons. You press the throttle in a vehicle and you expect it to go. For me the Cayenne goes and then hesitations randomly. Putting this in the SUV zone, I've never experienced random hesitation from daily driving of any ML (55 to 320).
Old 09-08-2004, 01:26 AM
Control It
Instructor

That is what I have been doing and will do most of the time...I do find the throttle very responsive in that way...

I have only driven my CS 650 miles. Took it to the airport and back today and had a blast...Glad I did not get a TT because they are just too fast! Frustrating around here...that is one of the problems with my 996 TT...before you know it you are going 110...(and up)
Old 09-08-2004, 11:28 AM
bancu
Racer

Originally Posted by controlit
...Glad I did not get a TT because they are just too fast! Frustrating around here...that is one of the problems with my 996 TT...before you know it you are going 110...(and up)
Good deal on the blipping. I missed that trick for quite a while. The problem I have is that I find I try to blip the throttles on rental cars <g>.

I hear you on the too fast. The TT is so smooth when you're cruising. I found I had to have set the speed limit warning to keep me in line on the Interstate.

The TT 'hook' with me was that the CS just didn't measure up to the seat of the pants acceleration of my ML55. I didn’t want to risk getting in a CS and wanting to trade up.

Is your 996 TT a manual? I'm sure it is but it would sure come in handy if you could point to 996 tiptronic and note that the transmission in the Cayenne is nowhere near the same level of engineering refinement.
Old 09-10-2004, 11:38 AM
bancu
Racer

Originally Posted by Josh Warner
I love my Cayenne Turbo, but let's be real here. We're talking about a Porsche. I, for one, expect a Porsche, be it coupe, super car, full-blown racer, mounitain bike or even SUV, to be "THE PORSCHE" of that catagory.
Josh,

I missed this point earlier. You really sum it up with '"THE PORSCHE" of that catagory.'
Old 09-10-2004, 04:26 PM
Josh Warner
Rennlist Member

Hey Bancu,

I think it's what many of us were looking for. I love everything Porsche, my 928 is a gem, my 996 was fantastic. I could have gone for the Range Rover, G-Wagon or others now that I needed more room, but I'm a believer in the marque that has stirred my emotions since I was eight. My uncle still has his 356C in mint condition, the very Porsche that formed my idea of a car.

Thanks for the acknowledgment. Now I really would like if there were a way to get these posts and the ones from other message boards directly to someone at Porsche AG who truly cares the way many of us do. Please reply if anyone has an idea of how to do that. Does anyone have an e-mail address for someone at Porsche AG. Perhaps a bit of a letter-writing campaign, or just these posts compiled and forwarded, would impinge to the result of first an acknowledgement, and then a fix.
Old 09-10-2004, 05:43 PM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default accelerator delay

Upon quick acceleration esp at track or auto cross car dies for about 30 seconds engine keeps running then resumes normal mode. has happened about 5 times. Told porsche ,they "upgraded" software, seems to have helped.
Old 09-10-2004, 06:40 PM
bancu
Racer

Originally Posted by tkerrmd
30 seconds
30 seconds?! That's a record for me.
Old 09-12-2004, 09:37 PM
dawktah
Racer

By any chance are you guys noticing which gear is displayed while the "lag" is occuring??? I experience the lag mostly when turning corners, oddly it wants to turn in D3 when I would rather have it in D2. Kinda irritating turning right with oncoming traffic.

Seems to me Porsche's desire to have resonable fuel economy and the low rpm upshifts can be adding to the "lag." I've always shifted maunal cars with a higher rpm.
Old 09-12-2004, 09:39 PM
Control It
Instructor

yes occurs more often (but not always) in a turn or corner...I think in D3 usually too,,,
Old 09-12-2004, 11:40 PM
bancu
Racer

Default Rolling turns and other times too

Originally Posted by dawktah
By any chance are you guys noticing which gear is displayed while the "lag" is occuring??? I experience the lag mostly when turning corners, oddly it wants to turn in D3 when I would rather have it in D2. Kinda irritating turning right with oncoming traffic.
I can _almost_ reproduce on will the hesitation (I've referred to it as a non linear throttle also with my dealer) when making a rolling turn like you're describing. Controlit is right it's not an always thing. I find this behavior aggravating and I now drive the CT more like a Subaru (non-turbo) when I need to turn across traffic. I'm still waiting to get clobbered one day.

We have two other 'situations' that concern me more:
- Pulling out into traffic from a dead stop. Get in the lane and press more on the throttle to get out of on coming traffic. Nothing happens. It's coming off the line D2 is still displayed. I just relax for impact and wait until the CT finally decides to go.

- Rolling merge into Interstate traffic (D4-D5): pick your spot, throttle it and slip in; Watch the review mirror as traffic get _real_ close; CT finally decides to take off.
Old 09-13-2004, 01:23 AM
bancu
Racer

Default Automatic or manual...

Originally Posted by dawktah
I've always shifted maunal cars with a higher rpm.
I agree with you on the manual shifting but I feel the need to toss something else in...other 'European' SUVs that I've driven also have better shifting automatics than the CSs or CTs that I've driven. _I've_ never felt unsafe due to acceleration hesitation in either the BMW (v8) or ML (320, 430, 55) lines. Can't speak for anyone else's experiences.

I know for sure that the ML has all the stuff (e-gas, ESP) going 'against' it that the Cayenne has. This also lets me know that doesn't have to be the way it is in the Cayenne.

Last edited by bancu; 09-13-2004 at 01:24 AM. Reason: title
Old 09-14-2004, 12:57 PM
ljugete
Rennlist Member

Mine is noticed only when the engine is cold.

Quick Reply: Do you have a Lag or Delay Problem?