Sponsored by:

Oil consumption gone up on Turbo 955

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2024, 06:38 AM
stratos1
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Oil consumption gone up on Turbo 955

Hi to all, Cayenne 2003 year with 225000 km im based in Europe Greece,and I am looking to change my turbos with new ones and found genuine IHI ones with the exact same part numbers and they are cheaper about 1000 euro each if I purchase them from Porsche dealership. 3000 euros for both and 5000+ euros if i get them from the dealer.
Has anyone gone this route and changed there turbos? And what did you use.
Reason I want to change them is Im getting puffs of smoke sometimes on start up for 30 seconds but I have noticed my oil consumption has gone up also 1 ltr every 1K km. The car doesnt smoke during driving or hard acceleration.
As for bore scoring I am waiting for my mechanic to find some free time so we can inspect the cylinders with a camera as to see if i will proceed with the turbos, engine has no knocking sound and still pulls hard.( Did a pull with a freind he has the 957 turbo and i was pulling away from him, forgot to mention I have the intercoolers from the turbo S fitted on mine and it has a tune.)
The other thing I was thinking was valve guides and seals.
PCV and all the other non return and hose parts have been checked and replaced, engine also does not have any oil leakages as they have been addressed.
Any feed back on what else to check and how to go about this, as i want to keep the car no matter what the cost will be to fix it, even if it needs resleeving the block.

Old 06-23-2024, 09:19 AM
phatz
Three Wheelin'

Received 181 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by stratos1
Cayenne 2003 year with 225000 ... 5000+ euros
game over
Old 06-23-2024, 12:24 PM
Unibtanium
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That consumption is in line with what Porsche considers normal

Maybe try using a higher quality oil like liqui moly molybdenum synthetic and see if any improvement, but I would not worry about it, just top off once a month.
Old 06-23-2024, 07:54 PM
hahnmgh63
Three Wheelin'

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts

Initial bore scoring is difficult to see, even with a video borescope as it tends to start at the very bottom of the stroke and then work it's way up.
Old 06-23-2024, 08:16 PM
ekstroemtj
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

I had similar issues with my Turbo S. the car had a “usual” oil consumption but I have noticed the engine sometimes swallowed a hugh portion of oil in one moment. Black cloud in the mirror. 2 new turbos solved it
Old 06-24-2024, 06:35 AM
stratos1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Unibtanium
That consumption is in line with what Porsche considers normal

Maybe try using a higher quality oil like liqui moly molybdenum synthetic and see if any improvement, but I would not worry about it, just top off once a month.
This issue with the consumption started about 8 months back, since then I have switched over from Mobil1 to Liquimoly 5-40 Sae, but didnt see any improvment, car has been maintained oil changes every 10 K km. And I know the consumption limit from Porsche they sat 1.5ltrs / 1000 km so I am well in the specs, BUT I think this is too much.
Old 06-24-2024, 06:38 AM
stratos1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ekstroemtj
I had similar issues with my Turbo S. the car had a “usual” oil consumption but I have noticed the engine sometimes swallowed a hugh portion of oil in one moment. Black cloud in the mirror. 2 new turbos solved it
Did you go with upgraded turbos or Genuine from Porsche ? , I am just getting white smoke on startups and that only when driving down a mountain and parking the car before driving on a flat surface , thats why I am also thinking of valve seals/guides.
Old 06-24-2024, 06:39 AM
stratos1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by hahnmgh63
Initial bore scoring is difficult to see, even with a video borescope as it tends to start at the very bottom of the stroke and then work it's way up.
Thanks for your reply , will keep that in mind when I go to borescope it.
Old 06-24-2024, 06:42 AM
stratos1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by phatz
game over
I hope not, as I am still in specs as per Porsche states ref the oil consumption. Just need to dig in more and troubleshoot whats causing this.
Old 06-24-2024, 08:37 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,772 Likes on 4,310 Posts

Awesome looking TechArt Magnum 955!
Old 06-24-2024, 06:41 PM
ekstroemtj
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by stratos1
Did you go with upgraded turbos or Genuine from Porsche ? , I am just getting white smoke on startups and that only when driving down a mountain and parking the car before driving on a flat surface , thats why I am also thinking of valve seals/guides.
I got original turbos.
About white smoke at start. I didn’t have .

this „swallowing“ oil situation I remember very well the first time it happens.

highway france - Italy. Stop at gas station. Filled up the car and check oil level. Entered the gas station and accelerate at the highway. The feeling was like the car „has coked itself“ . I saw the smoke in the rear mirror.

stopped next possible place . Checked oil. There was missing a minimum of one liter in just 2 minutes of driving. So after that I avoided hard driving. Car went to the shop. New turbos.

no problem anymore

Quick Reply: Oil consumption gone up on Turbo 955