Sponsored by:

Tire Vibration at 60 to 80 mph

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2004, 09:07 AM
rberling@bellsouth.net
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire Vibration at 60 to 80 mph

My Cay S has 1000 miles on it. There is a wheel vibration at 60 to 80 mph. It feels like the wheels are out of balance type of vibration in the steering wheel. The 18 in. wheels have the factory Bridgestone All Weather Tires. The Dealer has tested the tires twice and found them to be within tolerence. They said there is nothing they know of to do. Have any of you had this experience? And, what was the cure?
Old 05-22-2004, 01:00 PM
Mav
Racer

Try road force balance to all 4 tires.
Old 05-22-2004, 01:46 PM
TIS330ci
Advanced

i have the exact same thing only i have 20" wheels and the tires were balanced and still there is a vibration.
Old 05-22-2004, 02:21 PM
wingless
analyst
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 98 Posts

This topic has information on the Hunter Road Force system, https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...hreadid=129772

As this is state-of-the-art equipment, there is evidence that some shops are not utilizing this tool properly. So, it may be beneficial to try another shop.
Old 05-23-2004, 08:17 AM
rberling@bellsouth.net
3rd Gear

Mav and Wingless - Thanks for the info. The dealership has the road force equipment and has run the test twice. He says the tires are ok. I checked out the link Wingless. I am taking a copy to the dealer next week. If you hear of any other solutions, I would appreciate. TIS330, sorry you are also having the issue.
Old 05-23-2004, 01:30 PM
dhud
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hope your problem does not turn out to be as complex as mine. I have a 2004 CS now with 10,000 miles and lots of vibration, steering wheel shake at certain speeds, etc. After four new tires, a 4 wheel alingment, initial tire balancing, a second balancing two weeks later, and a Cardan driveshaft replacement, my Cayenne now drives and handles like a dream. I am glad I never threw in the towel but it took persistence to get the ride sorted out. Thankfully, my dealer was very responsive and all was covered under warranty. The inside tread of the tires was shot at 10 K which the dealer said was not normal, so they covered it.
Old 06-02-2004, 08:28 AM
rberling@bellsouth.net
3rd Gear

Originally posted by dhud
I hope your problem does not turn out to be as complex as mine. I have a 2004 CS now with 10,000 miles and lots of vibration, steering wheel shake at certain speeds, etc. After four new tires, a 4 wheel alingment, initial tire balancing, a second balancing two weeks later, and a Cardan driveshaft replacement, my Cayenne now drives and handles like a dream. I am glad I never threw in the towel but it took persistence to get the ride sorted out. Thankfully, my dealer was very responsive and all was covered under warranty. The inside tread of the tires was shot at 10 K which the dealer said was not normal, so they covered it.
Thanks for the input. I too hope my issue does not take as long. My dealer (Hennessey Porsche in Atlanta) has done two balancings and two road force adjustments and the problem persists. Do you think it would make sense for me to give them the name of your dealership so the service manager can call and get some information? The folks at my dealership have been extremely helpful and attentive. I am confident they are doing all they know to do. They do admit the Cayenne is new, and they are learning its idiosyncracies.
Old 06-02-2004, 12:58 PM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

I have a little vibration at 60-75ish, but with only 700 miles on the car I'm gonna give it another 1,000 to let the tires kinda (round out)...

I am also having the back rear left tire replaced as my P-Zero has a small bubble in the sidewall.

Hopefully I will get her "paint sealant" done today and get my steed back. This Audi A6 Turbo Quattro "loaner" is no fun compared to my Cayenne S (nor can it stand up to my Acura TL Type S either but then again, the roads are dry out)
Old 06-02-2004, 01:00 PM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Oops, sorry almost quoted myself... Good thing for editing...
Old 06-02-2004, 05:41 PM
Mav
Racer

JFScheck, do not mix the tire brand and N-specification of your left rear tire with the remaining 3 tires. BTW, I do not think an extra 1k miles will solve the vibration problem. I though about that and drove another 2k miles. The vibration still there. You should bring your car in within 2k miles (maybe different in your state) which PCNA still covers the cost of the alignment.
Old 06-02-2004, 08:44 PM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Mav
JFScheck, do not mix the tire brand and N-specification of your left rear tire with the remaining 3 tires.
It will be an exact match

Just because I graduated from Mission Viejo High School doesn't mean I'm stupid!
Old 06-02-2004, 08:46 PM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Seriosuly, the vibration is very, very minor in a very small speed range, will give it a little more, but will heed your advice and bring it back before I exceed 2,000 miles.

Thanks for the advice!
Old 06-03-2004, 12:44 AM
bobdog
Track Day

I have the same problem at 60-75 MPH with just a minor but very noticeable shaking of the steering wheel. Only 1K miles and will go to the dealer soon. Interesting that I have both the wind noise and vibration problems that are prominent in this forum. I thought they were just early build problems, but mine is an April 04 production model that I ordered to hopefully not face these problems. Still love to drive the car though.
Old 06-03-2004, 05:24 AM
wingless
analyst
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 98 Posts

JFScheck and bobdog, please post the tire size, brand and type.

rberling@bellsouth.net has trying another shop for the Road Force balance been ruled out as an option?
Old 06-03-2004, 12:56 PM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Going to pick the car back up today...

I have 19" Pirelli P-Zeros as fitted from the factory...

Quick Reply: Tire Vibration at 60 to 80 mph