Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCNA Update Regarding Front End Vibration....

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2004, 03:20 PM
Pcar Squared
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PCNA Update Regarding Front End Vibration....

Just wanted to update everyone that is having front end vibration problems that are not related to the Cardan Drvie Shaft.

I have been "working" with the PCNA on the vibration issue, and I have just had my case resolved Finally! I am happy to report that the vibration of the Cayenne S is a characeteristic of the vehicle. I am so relieved.

It is good to know that a $70k SUV was designed to vobrate! I just wish that this characteristic would have been listed on the window sticker, could you imagine purchasing a Cayenne that did not have the vibration, only to find out later that you also could have had this characteristic.

I appologize for the sarcasm but my frustration level has peaked. It would appear that PCNA would like to utilize the BBB for arbitration, but I will have to see what the legal counsel says.

Best of luck....
Old 04-25-2004, 07:05 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I would be interested in hearing their explanation into why some Cayennes do not have this characteristic vibration.

Does that mean that cars without the vibration are defective or do not meet the design standard?

Their statement seems hardly tenable on both legal and technical grounds.
Old 04-25-2004, 10:01 PM
wingless
analyst
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 98 Posts

Why not locate a facility with a Hunter GSP9700 road force measurement system, http://128.242.141.111/pub/features/how.cfm to see if this tool might resolve the problem?
Old 04-25-2004, 10:34 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Good point Wingless, it took my dealer 3 times in all to get it right.
Old 04-29-2004, 10:38 PM
wingless
analyst
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally posted by wingless
Why not locate a facility with a Hunter GSP9700 road force measurement system, http://128.242.141.111/pub/features/how.cfm to see if this tool might resolve the problem?
Has there been any luck in locating a facility with this Hunter equipment?

If so, has this resolved the problem?
Old 04-30-2004, 12:58 AM
WCS
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I actually had front end vibration and took numerous trips to a dealer trying to fix it. It started at around 14K miles; initially cardan shaft fixed most of the problem but front end vibration stands out after the new shaft was installed. This dealer has Hunter machine but apparently they didn't know how to use it - I requested road force variance report but they simply said everything is fine.

I went to another dealer, found out the cardan shaft wasn't installed/aligned properly by the first dealer. They fixed it but they didn't have a RF balance machine. Alignment/balance was both fine though.

So I got frustrated and went to a local Americas Tire shop and requested a RF balance. They did a 'ride match' and found one of the tire was particularly out of spec. Also the inside of the tire is more worn out than outside. This was at 22K miles.

After the fix the car still vibrates but it runs smoothly occasionally. It is at about 23K miles now and 'occasionally' turned into 'oftenly'. I guess the uneveness corrects itself after the RF balance. It almost always vibrates in the morning before tires are warmed up (flat spots I guess). I found the vibration repeatable for different highways too.

In short it is not the steering column, not the characteristics of the car, but just an incompetent dealer who don't know how to operate the machines. Find a specialized tire shop and it may just fix the problem.

Good luck!

Quick Reply: PCNA Update Regarding Front End Vibration....