Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire Vibration at 60 to 80 mph

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2004, 02:29 PM
Mav
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very very minor vibration of the steering wheel around 65 - 70 MPH is a characteristic of Cayennes told by Porsche (Porsche regional representative -> My dealer service adviser -> Me). I found that the vibration usually more pronounce (but still very minor) in the cold morning road surface and cold tires. After tires warming, the vibration goes away. Look into the bright side of it, the Cayenne is a Porsche which is a sport car. Better road response from road to the steering wheel is the design philosophy of a Porsche. Overall, I am very happy with my C-S.
Old 06-03-2004, 02:38 PM
wingless
analyst
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally posted by Mav
Very very minor vibration of the steering wheel around 65 - 70 MPH is a characteristic of Cayennes told by Porsche (Porsche regional representative -> My dealer service adviser -> Me).
My TT, with either the 20" Diamaris or the 18" Dunlop Winter Sport, has no perceivable vibration.
Old 06-04-2004, 12:11 AM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by Mav
Very very minor vibration of the steering wheel around 65 - 70 MPH is a characteristic of Cayennes told by Porsche (Porsche regional representative -> My dealer service adviser -> Me). I found that the vibration usually more pronounce (but still very minor) in the cold morning road surface and cold tires. After tires warming, the vibration goes away. Look into the bright side of it, the Cayenne is a Porsche which is a sport car. Better road response from road to the steering wheel is the design philosophy of a Porsche. Overall, I am very happy with my C-S.
I have had this issue with my S from the begining... now17,000 miles. It happens from 70-73 mph usually when I first drive it in the morning. I still have the original piece of $hit pirelli's...used 18's in the winter w/ snows and did not notice it. My summer tires are the 19's. I think the brute weight of the vehicle is the culprit making the tires go out of round when parked.

I am wondering what is the tell tale sign of cardan shaft problems??? Is it a violent, consistent vibration that never goes away??? My issue is usually when first driven, but seems to go away...
Old 06-04-2004, 06:10 PM
Torags
Three Wheelin'

Rockitman

Mine is in the shop now for the vibes that start at 73 mph and goes away at close to 80.

It started at 9,000 mi (now at 11K). The inside of my pass. side tire was worn thru the first belt & a 2" wear pattern of layer below belt. I couldn'y see it.

My service dealer Carlsen in Palo Alto responded with - you need to buy new tires. I argued it was not the front end vib (it was the console tingle).

I told them I wasn't picking up the car, they could keep it. I don't think they understood that they could really keep it - I was going to count the days for lemon law & use a safety regarded issue as a reason to return the car.

I understand that PAG is no longer replacing Cardan shafts. Their current fix is a differential joint. We'll see if they have as much success as they had with their RMS fixes.

Good luck.
Old 06-04-2004, 06:21 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Thanks Torags...I guess I will point the dealer in the direction of the differential joint
Old 06-05-2004, 10:15 AM
Torags
Three Wheelin'

There is a TSB number, I have asked Mike (moderator) if he has it.
Old 06-06-2004, 03:17 AM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Originally posted by Torags
There is a TSB number, I have asked Mike (moderator) if he has it.
I would be interested in this TSB number. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Tire Vibration at 60 to 80 mph