2004 Cayenne Turbo Engine Refresh

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2023, 05:48 PM
tsill13
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts
Default 2004 Cayenne Turbo Engine Refresh

Hi All,

I'm more active on the 928 forums but recently pulled an 14' Cayenne GTS, a 11' Turbo and 04 CTT into the garage.

Looking to do a refresh on the 04' as I know nothing about it, no records.

I just ordered all idler pulleys, tensioner and pulley, water pump/laso and pulley belt and bolts, coolant and upper and lower hoses to do the accesssory system.

Got valve cover gasket kit and also new injectors - bosch

I am hoping to snake a camera under the manifold to see if its got the plastic pipes or not - dont know if its possible but i'm going to give it a shot.

No coolant leaks currently that i am aware so going to try and leave the intake locked down for now.

Managed to break the air line going into the passenger side air filter box first thing out of the gate, great...its not imperattive so i guess it will be plastic welded until i can find another.

Any other WYAIT items please let me know, this is my first foray into a Cayenne motor.

Thanks all
Old 03-13-2023, 06:45 PM
rdonahe
Track Day

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tsill13
I am hoping to snake a camera under the manifold to see if its got the plastic pipes or not - dont know if its possible but i'm going to give it a shot.
Check this thread for advice on spying your coolant pipes - https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...ispreloading=1
Old 03-13-2023, 10:54 PM
Crozzer
Rennlist Member

Received 149 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by tsill13
Hi All,

I'm more active on the 928 forums but recently pulled an 14' Cayenne GTS, a 11' Turbo and 04 CTT into the garage.

Looking to do a refresh on the 04' as I know nothing about it, no records.

I just ordered all idler pulleys, tensioner and pulley, water pump/laso and pulley belt and bolts, coolant and upper and lower hoses to do the accesssory system.

Got valve cover gasket kit and also new injectors - bosch

No coolant leaks currently that i am aware so going to try and leave the intake locked down for now.

Managed to break the air line going into the passenger side air filter box first thing out of the gate, great...its not imperattive so i guess it will be plastic welded until i can find another.

Any other WYAIT items please let me know, this is my first foray into a Cayenne motor.

Thanks all
WYAIT I would imagine the coils and plugs. I was recently advised to fo the MAFs and O2 sensors.

some might say to do the starter proactively; I plan to wait until it is warranted as getting to it is not challenging, just 30-60 min to “off”, and then about the same to back together again.

I’m not sure about 04 CTT but to do the passenger side idler pulley, you have to remove the dipstick. Because of course you do. It seemed daunting but I actually didn’t more time trying to wiggle it out after unbolting, than I did either unbolting or bolting. Use a socket, electrical tape - bunch of extensions together, and it is a straight shot. I don’t think I used a wobble.

I did use a rifle cleaning rod to wipe out the socket for the dipstick before putting it back in.

oh, and I mention all this b/c you’ll want new a o-ring to re-seat the dip stick.

throttle body o-ring. I use silicon grease “super lube” on just about every o-ring I put in…

check your torque arm, engine mounts, and subframe mounts for rot/wear.

Do a blackstone oil analysis and a couple of oil changes.

Coolant flush (might as well refresh the coolant reservoir and cap).

definitely vacuum/pressure test the various control lines.

check the charge pipes and seals.

the list goes on and on…

good luck!

Old 03-14-2023, 10:27 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,772 Likes on 4,310 Posts

At that age, any plastic pipe you have to bend, move, or work with to get to something else is likely to crack.
Old 03-14-2023, 01:43 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,444 Likes on 836 Posts

everybody else has you covered on ideas, I'm just wondering why you purchased 3 fairly similar SUVS at the same time?
Old 03-14-2023, 04:52 PM
agocs
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Like they say in Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, "once you get locked into a serious [...] collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can."
Old 03-14-2023, 05:09 PM
mbardeen
Racer

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by agocs
Like they say in Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, "once you get locked into a serious [...] collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can."
Me, with a 1995 Cherokee XJ and now the 2010 Cayenne Turbo.... spying a 1964 Jeep Wagoneer without a motor on the local autos sales site (followed by a wrecked 2005 Cayenne Turbo with good motor and transmission) and wondering if it'd be worth selling my 968 to cover buying both.

Serious drugs man. Serious.

Edit: And given his collection of 928s, I think the answer is pretty obviously that he's a glutton for punishment!

Last edited by mbardeen; 03-14-2023 at 05:27 PM.
Old 03-14-2023, 05:20 PM
phatz
Three Wheelin'

Received 181 Likes on 139 Posts

Before embarking
Would it not be better to firstly scope for scoring ?
Old 03-14-2023, 05:35 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,772 Likes on 4,310 Posts

Originally Posted by mbardeen
and wondering if it'd be worth selling my 968 to cover buying both.
Uh, nope
The following users liked this post:
mbardeen (03-14-2023)
Old 03-14-2023, 06:12 PM
Andrew_955
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by mbardeen
Me, with a 1995 Cherokee XJ and now the 2010 Cayenne Turbo.... spying a 1964 Jeep Wagoneer without a motor on the local autos sales site (followed by a wrecked 2005 Cayenne Turbo with good motor and transmission) and wondering if it'd be worth selling my 968 to cover buying both.

Serious drugs man. Serious.

Edit: And given his collection of 928s, I think the answer is pretty obviously that he's a glutton for punishment!
CTT powertrain is amazing and I would love to swap it into something older and lighter but I think the wiring/electronics would be a nightmare. May as well just go turbo LS at that point... way less effort and no bore scoring to worry about.
Old 03-15-2023, 05:19 AM
bob_v2
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrical

And don't forget to check the wires under the carpet left side. Corrosion is a common problem on this car with blocked evacuation pipe.
So you will avoid a bunch of strange error.
Old 03-15-2023, 08:21 PM
tsill13
Instructor

Agree on all this and def would have/did miss ordering the dipstick tube seal. If I can get a good eye to see if the pipes have been replaced, then hopefully it will go back together a lot quicker. Thanks ; )
Old 03-15-2023, 08:22 PM
tsill13
Instructor

Cant scope for scoring that I am aware, as it typically is under the piston ring, but if someone knows a way, I'm game
Old 03-15-2023, 08:25 PM
tsill13
Instructor

I actually just purchased another 04 turbo today, they are just too good to pass up to be honest. Of course you have to be very careful of borescoring etc. plus they are super pricey to fix, but I do all my own work. If one of these needed an engine? ya sure its gonna be a parts car at that point. but knock on wood i've been in really good fortune so far.

now the new 04 i picked up today? ya. started a new thread on that one as it had a miss, with no known codes, but it also had some offbrand spark plugs in the glove box that literally has chinese writing on them i believe. so i wont know until i get into that one.
Old 03-15-2023, 08:28 PM
tsill13
Instructor

You sir, are absolutely right I got on a train, and it aint really stopping I dont think. These turbos are in the sweet spot right now to be picked up.

All my life I've sold my cars, and I always, always regretted it. If I still had them, I could have retired...I'm 50 btw.

I had Jeep J10's J20's, XJ's Grand Cherokee, I still have that one 2004 model.

But the low miles 280z? and the 85 928's, 2 of them with low miles and 5 speeds...geesh, so many other cars too that are just gone now.

Quick Reply: 2004 Cayenne Turbo Engine Refresh