Sponsored by:

Upgrade to 3-Button Key Fobs

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2022, 07:08 AM
Malibu955
Pro

Received 150 Likes on 119 Posts
Default Upgrade to 3-Button Key Fobs

After some internal debate as to whether to keep the '04 955 or upgrade to a 957 or 958, I decided to go with the "devil you know" and commit to keeping the 955 long-term. As such, I'm actively looking into getting it as up-to-date as possible (I've already updated the transfer case motor and transfer case ECU, updated the transmission ECU, installed a Dynavin N7 with CarPlay, did a full Burmester speaker upgrade, and might have kinda sorta have purchased an entire GTS-spec extended leather and alcantara interior package upgrade, including the seats, which hasn't been installed yet).

Anyway, one thing that has always been a bit of a PITA is the original key fobs with their awful range. In my research, I have found that sometime around 2005-2006 Porsche fixed the range issue, and then updated the key fobs to have a separate lock and unlock button instead of the single button that I have on my fobs (oh, did you accidentally lock your car? Wait for it, wait for it, OK, go) . I've researched this topic and searched extensively, but haven't come across anyone who has attempted the upgrade. If I missed something, I would certainly welcome a shove in the right direction

Is it possible to update the old one button lock/unlock fobs to the newer discrete lock and unlock button fobs, and if so, would this help with the range issues?
Old 11-25-2022, 09:11 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,772 Likes on 4,310 Posts

The range of the 957 key module doesn't seem especially impressive to me. My GMC Sierra range is probably 10x it
I'd save the time and possible trouble and install the new seats.
Old 11-27-2022, 02:30 AM
Malibu955
Pro

Thanks Pete. I suppose "better range" is all relative. Right now I have to be standing next to the car and point the fob at the rear spoiler (where the antenna is) for it to work. I'd just be happy to be able to be a few feet away and point it in the general direction of the car and not have to wait for a bit when I accidentally lock it since there's only one lock/unlock button.

I'll backburner this for now as I have plenty of other projects between the cars, house, etc. I wonder if I would also need a newer RF receiver to interpret the discrete lock & unlock button presses. Oh well, some day down the road I may give it a go and see what I can come up with.
Old 11-27-2022, 10:23 AM
phatz
Three Wheelin'

Received 181 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by Malibu955
range issues?
You may be able to find the design drawings with google search of
https://www.google.com/search?q=repl...F%2Ffcc.report

Old 11-28-2022, 06:57 PM
Crozzer
Rennlist Member

Received 149 Likes on 119 Posts

FWIW - this is on my list of upgrades as well. Have you considered going to a push button start and aftermarket fob? Lots of options for remote starters I would think... And a single fob probably costs more than the full install with remote (maybe even push button) start, and 2 new fobs.

Haven't researched much, but this seems like a good path.
For Porsche Cayenne Year 2006-2010 add one push button start stop system and Keyless Entry system - Bing video

Old 11-28-2022, 07:06 PM
phatz
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Crozzer
but this seems like a good path.
Make sure its easily reversed and you have decent tow coverage
Old 11-28-2022, 08:33 PM
Malibu955
Pro

Thanks Phatz, I'll definitely check out that site.

No intentions of going with pushbutton start and aftermarket fobs. I'd like to keep the ignition system and fobs stock, just want a little better range and the discrete lock and unlock buttons. Yeah, the cost of two new OEM fobs will probably be expensive. Maybe I can source a set of fobs and the RF receiver from a breaker. Not in a rush to do this, just wondering if it's at all possible.
Old 11-28-2022, 09:10 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

FWIW - this is on my list of upgrades as well. Have you considered going to a push button start and aftermarket fob? Lots of options for remote starters I would think... And a single fob probably costs more than the full install with remote (maybe even push button) start, and 2 new fobs.

Haven't researched much, but this seems like a good path.
For Porsche Cayenne Year 2006-2010 add one push button start stop system and Keyless Entry system - Bing video
How does that kit prime the fuel pump since that happens when the driver's side door opens or does it just crank longer?

BTW, remote starting s Porsche and letting it idle is not good for it at all because of the enrichment mode that happens on cold.start to hear the cats. It's a contributor to vote scoring.
Old 11-29-2022, 03:58 PM
Crozzer
Rennlist Member

Received 149 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
How does that kit prime the fuel pump since that happens when the driver's side door opens or does it just crank longer?

BTW, remote starting s Porsche and letting it idle is not good for it at all because of the enrichment mode that happens on cold.start to hear the cats. It's a contributor to vote scoring.
news to me, can you provide more edumecation?
Old 11-29-2022, 04:45 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

news to me, can you provide more edumecation?
When you open the driver's door it cycles the fuel pump to build pressure in the system. There is some type of countdown timer and it will only do this when the door is opened the first time in like 10 minutes, so if you open it, hear the pump buzz, then close it and open it again, you won't hear the pump that second time. After about 10 minutes go by if you open the door again, it will buzz again, but not again after that until the set time has elapsed. It may not be 10 minutes, but it's something like that.

With remote start, you'd need a relay tied it to trigger the pump prime if you want it to behave like a key start as far as pressurizing and cranking time.
Old 11-30-2022, 10:27 PM
PepperLuv
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

One button lock/unlock is another of Porsche's engineering goofs. What was that designer thinking?

This issue drives me nuts and everyone else who uses this car. Wife says it is designed so only i get to drive it because no one else can figure it out.

"Is it locked or unlocked? Now the light on door is blinking. I guess that means it's locked. But wait, now the key fob does nothing when i press the only button. WTF".

It would be nice to mod this with a two button system.
Old 11-30-2022, 10:52 PM
phatz
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by PepperLuv
One button
Add a green and red blinking led ...seasonally allow for both to blink
Old 11-30-2022, 11:28 PM
Malibu955
Pro

Originally Posted by PepperLuv
One button lock/unlock is another of Porsche's engineering goofs. What was that designer thinking?
That's German efficiency. "Vy should ve have ze two buttons when ve can just have ze one?"
Old 12-01-2022, 12:19 AM
PepperLuv
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Malibu955
That's German efficiency. "Vy should ve have ze two buttons when ve can just have ze one?"
How about blinking light means:
"Das is verbotten. You vill not get in das auto until vee allow you back in"
Old 12-24-2022, 01:12 PM
Jamescoop
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I jsut went from 955 CTT (totalled) to a 957 CTT (not running :P)
I can say the three button fob has MUCH better range on the 957
But its going to take some getting used to, personally the lock button is in the middle is annoying, should be on top/easier to find in pocket, but I realize not evry car came with entry & drive (dont really need unlock button when getting into car)

On separate note: anyone know where to get blank replacements that arent hundreds of dollars?

Last edited by Jamescoop; 12-24-2022 at 01:14 PM.

Quick Reply: Upgrade to 3-Button Key Fobs