Sponsored by:

Landcruiser guy looking to build up a Cayenne....need some help

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2022, 01:38 AM
FrancisK
7th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Landcruiser guy looking to build up a Cayenne....need some help

Hello all hope you're well thanks for having me. A friend of mine just recently picked up a 2003 Cayenne looking to build it up for some light over landing. Myself having just finished building up an 80 series landcruiser and doing a lot of it myself he asked for my help. Not going to lie I was impressed with it, didn't realize they had full time 4x4 and locking diffs....actually having some power and comfort was a pretty nice thing as well. Long story short I'm now looking to perhaps build one up myself as a daily driver as well, I love my Land Crusher it's an absolute bulletproof tank but it's also 25 years old and has skyrocketed in value while also becoming death by a thousand cuts in regards little things and no longer available parts. The time for using it as a daily vehicle has passed unfortunately....also again comfort and power are nice things!

I've been doing research, that buyers guide up there is really valuable but it's not really geared in regards to picking a rig for overlanding which is definitely understandable. So I'm asking for some help in regards to what I should be looking for and what things to avoid as far as options and model years.

So apparently I'm supposed to try and stay away from 2004 and 2011 models? What's up with that, why is it only those years what was different?

If I get a 2009 and up I avoid the piston issue correct? Are there any drawbacks, other than price of course, to the newer vs the older ones in regards to building up? For example are there options I would want that only the older ones have?

I would prefer locking diffs so that would mean I'm looking for a turbo model correct?

I'm thinking lift, tires, roof rack, sliders, front and rear bumpers or guards to start off with. Anything basic I'm missing? Is the air ride an issue in regards to lifts, do guys normally scrap/convert the air ride for that?

Any other things that should be considered I would sincerely appreciate it if you guys helped me out with! Thank you again!

Last edited by FrancisK; 07-11-2022 at 01:50 AM.
The following users liked this post:
RS-America (07-12-2022)
Old 07-11-2022, 01:51 AM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 329 Likes on 264 Posts

See this https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...his-first.html

Do a search on overland.. https://rennlist.com/forums/search.p...rchid=43485022

I have a TLC80 and a couple other members also.

Last edited by TRINITONY; 07-11-2022 at 01:52 AM.
FrancisK (07-11-2022)
Old 07-11-2022, 08:38 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,444 Likes on 836 Posts

Get a 200 series lc
Old 07-11-2022, 12:43 PM
hatchetf15
Rennlist Member

Received 1,044 Likes on 645 Posts

OP - Get in touch with RSAmerica here. They built Otis.
The following 2 users liked this post by hatchetf15:
FrancisK (07-11-2022), RS-America (07-12-2022)
Old 07-11-2022, 05:39 PM
FrancisK
7th Gear

Thank you for the reply fellas, does anyone have any input on the little check list I made?

-So apparently I'm supposed to try and stay away from 2004 and 2011 models? What's up with that, why is it only those years what was different?

-If I get a 2009 and up I avoid the piston issue correct? Are there any drawbacks, other than price of course, to the newer vs the older ones in regards to building up? For example are there options I would want that only the older ones have?

-I would prefer locking diffs so that would mean I'm looking for a turbo model correct?

-I'm thinking lift, tires, roof rack, sliders, front and rear bumpers or guards to start off with. Anything basic I'm missing? Is the air ride an issue in regards to lifts, do guys normally scrap/convert the air ride for that?

Any other things that should be considered I would sincerely appreciate it if you guys helped me out with! Thank you again!
Old 07-11-2022, 05:48 PM
Gundo
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Welcome! I had built and sold a 1987 FJ60 Land Cruiser over the pandemic. In December I sold it and bought a 2010 GTS with a similar intention, to build it up. So far I've got a 2" lift installed, 18" OEM wheels and BFGs. Some other minor additions as well.
Certainly obvious, but worth stating, these rigs are night and day different from the older Land Cruisers, but just as intuitive and well built. Everything is just far more complicated, takes longer, and takes many more tools to accomplish. Best of luck!

FrancisK (07-11-2022)
Old 07-11-2022, 05:53 PM
FrancisK
7th Gear

Originally Posted by Gundo
Welcome! I had built and sold a 1987 FJ60 Land Cruiser over the pandemic. In December I sold it and bought a 2010 GTS with a similar intention, to build it up. So far I've got a 2" lift installed, 18" OEM wheels and BFGs. Some other minor additions as well.
Certainly obvious, but worth stating, these rigs are night and day different from the older Land Cruisers, but just as intuitive and well built. Everything is just far more complicated, takes longer, and takes many more tools to accomplish. Best of luck!

Thank you so much for chiming in that's a great looking truck!

Do you have any input on the check list I made so far?

In regards to the lift did it present any issues or require anything special in regards to the airbags? Did you use a kit?
Old 07-12-2022, 10:20 AM
Crozzer
Rennlist Member

Received 149 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by FrancisK
Thank you for the reply fellas, does anyone have any input on the little check list I made?

-So apparently I'm supposed to try and stay away from 2004 and 2011 models? What's up with that, why is it only those years what was different?

-If I get a 2009 and up I avoid the piston issue correct? Are there any drawbacks, other than price of course, to the newer vs the older ones in regards to building up? For example are there options I would want that only the older ones have?

-I would prefer locking diffs so that would mean I'm looking for a turbo model correct?

-I'm thinking lift, tires, roof rack, sliders, front and rear bumpers or guards to start off with. Anything basic I'm missing? Is the air ride an issue in regards to lifts, do guys normally scrap/convert the air ride for that?

- 957 is 2008-2010. Facelift and mechanically more sound, much less likely to get cylinder scoring. It is essentially the same “windshield back.” 2011 would be a 958, different beast.

- yes you mostly avoid cylinder scoring, no you don’t lose anything.

- I believe the center diff lock and low range is standard on every model. Rear diff lock is a unicorn. 3-4K to add it oem retrofit. Touregs have them more often, and it is possible to oem swap the parts to a Cayenne. Front diff lock is aftermarket 2.5k e locker. Most report the oem traction control is more than sufficient for most. I’d recommend trying before upgrading. Note that activating locking center diff also activates low range and vice versa (same button, they go hand in hand). Turbo will have PASM (air ride and up/down adjustable) and more likely to have PDCC (something like that, I’m sure I’ll be corrected)

- eurowise for your off-road kit. You may think of this differently, of course, but here are two cents. The only practical reason to lift is to get bigger tires (the tires create the ground clearance) you can get to 32 with fender trimming, 33 maybe, all on oem. “The guy who sleeps in his Cayenne “ Harrison on YouTube got to 35s on a 3” lift I believe. Past that the lift needs to push the tire out the bottom of the fender well, so in my book 2-3” lift is rather pointless unless you are shooting for 35s. The driveability of 29-32” with oem ride height outweighs the jump to 35s in my book. I spoke to local shop who hates the high ride on their rig and wishes they had not gone high. Again, all subjective.

harrison also has wheeling videos of his silver build with an S model to give you a sense of abilities.

a turbo will have intercoolers in the front of the front wheel wells - the first things you need to move to get bigger tires in there. Power braking over obstacles like rocks also is more clumsy (limited experience but in my test drives this holds true) I used curbs like stead of ricks - samesies. But I love my turbo S. GTS would be my next choice because naturally aspirated (reliability and low end torque). You almost want a de-tune while wheeling technical. Oem GTS is lower ride height, but that can be remedied.

they all have “enough” power to wheel, more than a land cruiser. Traction will be the limit at the edge, not power.

I drove a lifted TLC on 35s on a test drive. While it may be very capable off road, that was a lot of “character to love” is n a daily basis; underpowered, very tippy and squishy, etc. Cayenne can do all the overlanding and much of the technical stuff, without danger of tipping over in a parking lot u-turn or getting passed on the on-ramp by a milk truck.

air ride and pdcc were a must for me as a daily driver. Air ride and non air ride are both liftable. Many people switch to coil over when they face a rare failure of the air dampers b/c cost. My reco; get pasm and pdcc. Pdcc also gives you more articulation (pseudo disconnect in low range).

Transsyberia rally was run and won multiple times on 29s…

You will spend more on the kit than the car (tent, lift, protection, wheels, tires and you are already pushing 10K) as you likely already know.

FCPeuro offers lifetime replacement on parts, including wear parts and fluids. I plan to change all fluids a couple times over, then on schedule. My brake parts are now effectively free as long as I own the car. If an axle breaks, I’m calling them etc.

oh, and if you do go turbo or turbo s you run in to minimum 20” wheel size to clear the calipers. The only 18s I have heard of that fit are from victor equipment, the berg and alpen I believe. So go that route if you go that route.

personally I’m in the phase of building out the mechanical stuff prior to putting off-road kit on. I’m over at Salty Pig Log. I am new to all of this too, so this is coming from someone who has previously owned a lifted suburban, a pre-runner fire ranger, then stock WJ Jeep Grand Cherokee overlander (the trim level), but essentially new to cayennes.

most active people on this forum have much more experience and knowledge to share than I do…

good luck! I hope this all helps! I’m sure there will be differing opinions and someone will correct something I’ve said. Cheers and hit me up if ever in the Salt Lake City area!

Last edited by Crozzer; 07-12-2022 at 12:57 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Crozzer:
FrancisK (07-12-2022), JMC376 (07-13-2022), notthd (11-21-2022), Tangerine Dream (12-16-2022)
Old 07-12-2022, 10:46 AM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 329 Likes on 264 Posts

No Cayenne built is going to equate to a built TLC (for rock climbing etc) , unless you spend tons of money, time and energy. Go through a river like the chaps at FCP euro, and there goes your engine.

This thread has a hot TLC purposely built https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...a-build-4.html
Old 07-12-2022, 12:40 PM
Crozzer
Rennlist Member

Another decent summary, this one from PCA Porsche Club of America, for getting to know the series:
https://www.pca.org/news/model-guide...7953w2081o1506
Old 07-12-2022, 12:46 PM
Crozzer
Rennlist Member

…and this channel for Cayenne s on 35s doing some things. He also has a video detailing his overland equipment choices, and has built a turbo s (setting the livery aside, not my fave, also a great build).

https://www.pca.org/news/model-guide...7953w2081o1506

good luck! Start a build thread and share pics!
Old 07-12-2022, 12:49 PM
FrancisK
7th Gear

Originally Posted by Crozzer
- 957 is 2008-2010. Facelift and mechanically more sound, much less likely to get cylinder scoring. I sssentiallybtge “windshield back.” 2011 would be a 958, different beast.

- yes you mostly avoid cylinder scoring, no you don’t lose anything.

- I believe the center diff lock and low range is standard on every model. Rear diff lock is a unicorn. 3-4K to add it oem retrofit. Front diff lock is aftermarket 2.5k e locker. Most report the oem traction control is more than sufficient for most. I’d recommend trying before upgrading. Note that locking center diff necessitates low range and vice versa (same button, they go hand in hand). Turbo will have PASM and more likely to have PDCC (something like that, I’m sure I’ll be corrected)

- eurowise for your off-road kit. You may think of this differently, of course, but here are two cents. The only practical reason to lift is to get bigger tires (the tires create the ground clearance) you can get to 32 with fender trimming, 33 maybe, all on oem. “The guy who sleeps in his Cayenne “ Harrison on YouTube got to 35s on a 3” lift I believe. Past that the lift needs to push the tire out the bottom of the fender well, so in my book 2-3” lift is rather pointless unless you are shooting for 35s. The driveability of 29-32” with oem ride height is outweighs the jump to 35s in my book. I spoke to local shop who hates the high ride on their rig and wishes they had not gone high. Again, all subjective.

harrison also has wheeling videos of his silver build with an S model to give you a sense of abilities.

a turbo will have intercoolers in the front of the front wheel wells - the first things you need to move to get bigger tires in there. Power braking over obstacles like rocks also is more clumsy (limited experience but in my test drives this holds true) I used curbs - samesies. But I love my turbo S. GTS would be my next choice because naturally aspirated (reliability and low end torque). You almost want a de-tune while wheeling technical. Oem is lower ride height, but that can be remedied.

they all have “enough” power to wheel, more than a land cruiser. Traction will be the limit at the edge, not power.

air ride and pdcc were a must for me as a daily driver. Air ride and non air ride are both liftable. Many people switch to coil over when they face a rare failure of the air dampers b/c cost. My reco; get pasm and pdcc. Pdcc also gives you more articulation (pseudo disconnect in low range).

Transsyberia rally was run and won multiple times on 29s…

You will spend more on the kit than the car (tent, lift, wheels, tires and you are already pushing 10K) as you likely already know.

FCPeuro offers lifetime replacement, including wear parts and fluids. I plan to change all fluids a couple times over, then on schedule. My brake parts are now effectively free as long as I own the car. If an axle breaks, I’m calling them etc.

oh, and if you do go turbo or turbo s you run in to minimum 20” wheel size to clear the calipers. The only 18s I have heard of that fit are from victor equipment, the berg and alpen I believe. So go that route if you go that route.

personally I’m in the phase of building out the mechanical stuff prior to putting off-road kit on. I’m over at Salty Pig Log

good luck! I hope this all helps! I’m sure there will be differing opinions and someone will correct something I’ve said. Cheers and hit me up if ever in the Salt Lake City area!

Thank you thank you! Exactly the info I was looking for! I'm going to do my research, I sincerely appreciate it.

Did not even consider the brake issue on the turbo models, that may just be a deal breaker for it. Honestly the only reason I was thinking turbo is because it would be more desirable down the road but really it's silly to look at that way I suppose....

Last edited by FrancisK; 07-12-2022 at 05:21 PM.
Old 07-12-2022, 12:53 PM
FrancisK
7th Gear

Originally Posted by TRINITONY
No Cayenne built is going to equate to a built TLC (for rock climbing etc) , unless you spend tons of money, time and energy. Go through a river like the chaps at FCP euro, and there goes your engine.

This thread has a hot TLC purposely built https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...a-build-4.html

I know that I'm not looking for it to replace my 80 I'm keeping the 80, I'm looking to use the Cayenne as a daily driver as I've come to the realization that my 80 is past the point of being a daily driver and my other car is an exotic so that doesn't work so well either. But I'm still going to give it some capability to do some light trailing, that's all I'm looking for really.
The following 2 users liked this post by FrancisK:
Crozzer (07-12-2022), TRINITONY (07-12-2022)
Old 07-12-2022, 08:26 PM
RS-America
Pro

Received 197 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by FrancisK
Hello all hope you're well thanks for having me. I'm thinking lift, tires, roof rack, sliders, front and rear bumpers or guards to start off with. Anything basic I'm missing? Is the air ride an issue in regards to lifts, do guys normally scrap/convert the air ride for that? Any other things that should be considered I would sincerely appreciate it if you guys helped me out with! Thank you again!
Saw hatchetf15's post "OP - Get in touch with RSAmerica here. They built Otis."

We have 10 years and 128k principally off-road miles on our stock 958 diesel. Only mods have been body protection, winch and camping gear. 'Lift kit' is not required. Outfitted 'Otis' for extended off-grid overland travel and endurance rally. As to overlanding we have been from the hot Chihuahuan desert to the frozen Arctic Ocean at Tuktoyaktuk. Have done many BDR trails, weeks of dispersed camping in Moab, the Lolo Magruder, abandoned logging trails on SW Vancouver Island and more. If you are familiar with the NWOR, we have attended for eight years and 'Otis' was asked once again to lead trail runs.
As to endurance rally this video is one of many we have done. 'Otis' is at 4:08
For some of what we have done (not current or complete) check out this Rennlist link
As to choosing which Cayenne, a lot depends on how you will use it. The range and low end torque sold us on a diesel. Also Jan's speed record setting stock diesel (with only added body protection and aux fuel tank) driving from North Cape Norway to the tip of South Africa in over 8 days! He has many other accomplishments in the same diesel.
Best advice is to take your Cayenne on trail w/o mods and learn the rig first. There is not a large Cayenne off-road knowledge base like your Land Cruiser has to rely on for proven previous experience. As you know there are lots of 'Overland' gear you will not survive without and amazing marketing. You need to do you!

Last edited by RS-America; 07-12-2022 at 08:31 PM.
FrancisK (07-13-2022)
Old 07-12-2022, 09:32 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 624 Likes on 479 Posts

It's probably not what you're asking, but as mentioned above, take a ride in a stock Cayenne on the trails and see what it can do. A stock Cayenne from any year (including 2011 and on up) can handle significant off-roading with zero modifications just fine: "light trailing" will be no problem. It won't look as cool and handle as poorly on the road as a lifted Cayenne, but a stock Cayenne certainly has the capability to off-road without killing one of its major fun parts: how well it handles on road, too. If you just add some all terrain tires to a stock Cayenne, you will be able to cover most any terrain, short of rock crawling.

Keep in mind that unlike the 955 and 957 models, with the 958 Cayennes (2011+), it is fairly easy to get a rear locking differential with the PTV+ option, and disconnecting sway bars with the PDCC option, on the Turbo models.
The following 4 users liked this post by garrett376:
FrancisK (07-13-2022), phatz (07-13-2022), RS-America (07-12-2022), TRINITONY (07-12-2022)

Quick Reply: Landcruiser guy looking to build up a Cayenne....need some help