Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

This vibration is driving me crazy.....(Long)

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2004, 02:25 PM
Pcar Squared
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default This vibration is driving me crazy.....(Long)

Sorry to vent but I am quite frustrated with the vibration / shimmy that our Cayenne S has exhibited since delivery (drove a demo not our truck).

The C has been in the shop 5 times for this same issue. Each time the dealer has chased after an out of balance wheel via road force balancing on a 9700. Each time I asked for a copy of the report that the Hunter 9700 produces (but the "printer was out of paper"), how frustrating.

I have requested that they investigate whether or not this might be a cardan drive shaft issue, but they claim it is not (on my 6th trip in I will ask for the part number of the drive shaft).

On my last trip the dealer contacted PNA and re-aligned the C to "new" specs. They also state that they will replace 2 tires that had premature wear on my next visit. Guess what, alignment did nothing for the vibration. I asked the dealer if he would swap all four Contis for a set of Pirelli Scorpions. "Sure we can do that for $600.00 for the tires and mounting". But what about the two new tires?

As you can see I am not getting very far with the dealer. I remember that during delivery my salesman stated that the first step of escalation was to him. So that is what I did, Oh no, he has left the dealership? The dealership states that the Sales Manager will contact me, where should I go from here? PNA customer advocate, BBB, State Attorney General and Lemon Law? I understand that you attract more bees with honey but enough is enough.

Your thoughts....
Old 02-19-2004, 02:34 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

hit 202 south, cross the border and take it to my dealer in Warrington PA, Holberts.

They did a superb job of working out the alignment, replaced 2 fronts and changed the drive shaft (cardan).

The alignment as well as the load force balancing seems to require more than the usual run of the mill tech to get right.

It will be fixed, just try to develop a decent relationship with the service manager, it works better when your not just an outraged telephone number to him.

Show him the posts from here on the subject.

Good Luck
Old 02-19-2004, 03:44 PM
R1100RSman
Intermediate

Wicked,
Can you describe what the vibration feel like? I have some noise and slight vibration at about 53 mph. The dealer balanced my tires but it had no effect and I am wondering if it may be a cardan shaft issue as my C is a early 03 build.

Regards
Old 02-19-2004, 03:47 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Most certainly it will be, all 03's and early 04's had the same problem with the softbearing on the drive shaft.
Old 02-19-2004, 03:55 PM
Pcar Squared
Instructor

I took delivery of my Cayenne in Nov of 03, as an 04 model year. The vibration is best described as a rhythmic pulse from from your left hand to your right. The reason that I do not believe that this a "road surface vibration" as my dealers states is there is an obvious repeatable cadence. Where I would expect the road vibration to be random.
Old 02-19-2004, 04:19 PM
jamy85
Burning Brakes

Under the lemon law i think if you take ur car to get fixed three times without anything being fixed you have the right to get a new replacement car!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-19-2004, 04:20 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

You just described the dreaded "wummering" which is the cardan shaft. (say the word 3 times fast). Comes it at around 40ish thru 60's then fades.

The word was written by a Cayenne owner from Germany trying to explain the noise to us none German speakers, no translation required just the rhythm and a deep voice.

Because there is no TSB out for this yet I think the dealers have to go to their area Porsche rep. Who will know the problem.

Additional Information.

The 03's were supposed to have the old shaft and some early 04's BUT more 03 shafts were used when the factory ran out of 04's. They can normally track which VIN got what but that is not reliable in this case, they have to get a visual on the part number on the shaft.
Old 02-19-2004, 04:22 PM
Pcar Squared
Instructor

J, I only wish that the Lemon Law was that easy (We got our C because our Audi S6 was sold as part of a lemon law settlement). The good news is that all I would have to do to get the ball rolling is change the adresses and VIN.

In my eyes this is the last resort.
Old 02-19-2004, 04:26 PM
Pcar Squared
Instructor

M, I would agree with your prognosis; but the speeds are wrong. It is most pronounced at 65-75. If one were to let go of the steering wheel at that time you would notice that the wheel is rocking from side to side. If "wummering" is an audible sensation, I have to admit that no abnormal sounds are while vibrating.
Old 02-19-2004, 04:38 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Then thats back to the wheels. the drive shaft, when it gets to the stage that you feel vibration its not thru the front wheels you feel it. Your back to alignment and balancing again I'm afraid.

It took them twice with mine and my dealer is good.
Old 02-19-2004, 04:42 PM
R1100RSman
Intermediate

My C was built in 3/03 but is an 04 model year. I can feel the "wummering" on slight acceleration and at maintained speeds between 47 and 55 mph. Does the "wummering" typically get worst over time?

BTW, my dealer had my car last week and repaired all post purchase items requested with the exception of this vibration issue. Nice service so far.
Old 02-19-2004, 04:50 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Yes I noticed it as I got over 9K, I started to feel a vibration through the seat.
Old 02-19-2004, 11:20 PM
bojali
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts

hmm we just replaced all 4 tires at the dealer with a mount and balence and have a slight shimmy. I was thinking that we tossed a weight, but with all the other issues we have had, i will bring it back in to check this..
bummer...
Old 02-20-2004, 08:33 PM
Curt Egerer
Intermediate

My 'cardan shaft' was replaced today. Will pick up tomorrow and see if the wummering is gone ........
Old 02-24-2004, 09:58 PM
Mav
Racer

Wicked Wagon, seem we are in the same boat. Have you had your C-S vibration fixed yet? You may want to see my another post https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...hreadid=116554

Quick Reply: This vibration is driving me crazy.....(Long)