Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jacking and Jack Stands

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2017, 11:09 AM
TheUnscented
Racer

Received 90 Likes on 60 Posts

Is there a jacking puck that we should be using with our floor jacks & jack stands for the 958 Cayenne?
Old 06-02-2017, 04:37 PM
phatz
Burning Brakes

Received 164 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by TheUnscented
Is there a jacking puck that we should be using with our floor jacks & jack stands for the 958 Cayenne?
Hockey pucks are great
Old 06-04-2017, 04:56 PM
RS-America
Rennlist Member

Received 189 Likes on 100 Posts

Everyone's situation is different. - As we spend a lot of time driving our Cayenne off road a Hi-Lift jack is a must have. The Cayenne does not have a good place to insert the jack due to all the plastic bits. We will be getting a Lift-Mate as an accessory for the Hi-Lift jack to raise the car. At home we would then use jack stands to work on the car. Off road we would probably continue with recovering our or another vehicle using our other recovery gear and ARB recovery kit. Bill Burke is to Overlanding as Walter Röhrl is to racing. Here is Bill Burke's short Lift-Mate video
. - Bill Burke Live: 3-3-10 How to use a Lift-Mate -
Note there are many videos on how to use a Hi-Lift properly - they can be a safety hazard if not used properly. Because the Hi-Lift jack is a good tool, it has been in production since 1905.
Old 06-05-2017, 10:15 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,154 Likes on 3,923 Posts

Originally Posted by jpoint
Generally the Jackpoint stands are too low for a Cayenne but some guys have elevated the stand (and their jack) to get sufficient height.
In addition, there are different tops for the Jackpoint stands that can be stacked to achieve extra height. They're well designed with a recessed groove in the tip of the flat plates that the base of the top plate sets in so they can't slide or move.

Top sides of both plate types

Bottom sides of both plate types

Shows lip of top plate aligning with groove in bottom plate

Stacked for use

These Jack pad toppers from Rennline also work great with the low profile Jackpoint top plate. The oval on top slides up into the oval hole in a 997 jacking position, turn it 90 degrees to lock it into the hole, and then it's diameter is the perfect size to fit into the recessed center bevel of the Jackpoint top. Also has an integrated rubber pad to not scratch the vehicle's jacking support.

Stack to store. Also have a set of the ESCOs for when I need a lot of height.

Handy to have lots of stand options so you can tackle anything safely and easily. Jackpoints, ESCOs, and Backyard Buddy 4-post lift used here to drop the motor of the 914 for some work.
Old 02-10-2018, 08:20 AM
robdixon
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Navaros911
Just to pull this one out from under the dust.

So, yesterday I was working around taking care of the front control arms (rubber aged, liquid dripping out, …). So off they come and they are in the workshop now. At the same time, I’m replacing the flexible brake lines and dust boots on the ball joints/tie rods, … together with some other while I’m in theres.

So the front of the car was on 3 Ton jack stands (2) and the pivot bearing resting on two other jack stands. Then I proceeded to jack up the rear. First, tried with my little alligator jack (works fine for my 964, but the 955 is a different animal). Couldn’t get the car up high enough from the center jacking point. So moved to the side jacking points (where I can get the jack stands in place next to the jack -> I have factory aluminum side skirts/step boards, perhaps that is why they fit) and still didn’t have the reach to get it off the ground.

Then tried the factory supplied jack -> WARNING: this is a BAD, BAD idea. The car moved about 2 inches sideways before I managed to drop it back to the ground. Fortunately nothing happened.

So now I’m wondering how to deal with this.

Options:
1/ Wait until the front arms are back in place, drop the front and move to the rear
2/ Do 1, then lower the air suspension as low as possible, jack it up again as my main jack will get the car up high enough, do rear first, then move to front
3/ Get a bottle jack with the reach -> easy to get more reach by putting something underneath it (doesn’t sound like a good idea to me)

Can someone confirm number 2 is not a problem with the Cayenne?

Any other suggestions?
"I agree that the factory screw jack is not the right tool for lifting the 955.
I had a major scare when the screw jack moved before I had time to drop in the stands.
The whole vehicle swayed to one side and I had to push it back, hold it and then place the stands.

I'm now looking at getting a good floor jack, can anyone recommend the 2 ton, 2.5 ton or the 3 ton jack?"
Old 02-10-2018, 09:28 AM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 994 Likes on 528 Posts

Originally Posted by robdixon
"I agree that the factory screw jack is not the right tool for lifting the 955.
I had a major scare when the screw jack moved before I had time to drop in the stands.
The whole vehicle swayed to one side and I had to push it back, hold it and then place the stands.

I'm now looking at getting a good floor jack, can anyone recommend the 2 ton, 2.5 ton or the 3 ton jack?"
My opinion is to NOT get a Chinesium floor jack.

I had one from Sears that dropped on me. Fortunately, I was not under the car, but the long handle went down and pinned me under it for a painful moment.

It quickly went into the trash and I bought a Lincoln jack. Hein-Werner has since bought them out, so I can't say if they are still a worthy contender.

I would stay far away from the cheap Harbor Freight-like jacks as I see this as a safety item and not worth cheaping out on, particularly on such a heavy vehicle.

Quick Reply: Jacking and Jack Stands