Chassis system troubles

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2018, 09:01 PM
Opsec87
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Chassis system troubles

Hello all,

First time poster; purchased 2008 Turbo last month. Absolutely love the vehicle, but the chassis/air suspension system has begun being quite troublesome. Was getting occasional chassis system warning in yellow, which went away after shut off. Then, a week or so ago, comes the red “warning chassis system” message. Vehicle stuck in very low height, suspension exceptionally harsh.
Local import mechanic said they found a disconnected fitting, and re-attached. Now, I’m being told the system just needs to be reset, but only a Porsche dealer has the software for such a task.
Is this all sounding kosher, or is there something else that can be done?

thanks in advance,
Old 07-10-2018, 10:13 PM
John Welch.
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

How is your battery charge? These cars do not appreciate low voltage.
Old 07-10-2018, 10:21 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

You need a tool to read what fault codes are stored in the system, and perhaps to recalibrate the height. The dealer can do that with their PIWIS, or you can buy a tool to DIY. I'd suggest reading the thread on iCarScan - it should be able to do this. Once you know what the fault codes are - you can clear them and see if the system starts behaving normally. You really should have started checking this when the yellow warning was first displayed.. perhaps you could have avoided the problem of the red warning (which means DO NOT DRIVE THE VEHICLE - anything in RED on a Porsche means to shut it off and have it flatbedded to the dealer.)

Welcome to the forum. Let us know how this works out for you.
Old 07-11-2018, 09:57 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,139 Likes on 3,912 Posts

Chassis system fault messages can also be triggered by the PDCC system if your turbo is do equipped. Since the Indy found a loose fitting, its likely air system related but thought I'd mention it just in case. You can check the fluid kevelnin the reservoir up front under the driver's side beauty panels - one is power steering and the other is PDCC - they take the same Pentosin fluid - either CHF11 or CHF22 and the 2 are cross compatible - I've seen them at Napa and O'Reilly. Also do an inspection from under the car of all the braided stainless lines - these are the PDCC hydraulic lines and the original versions did not have a protective coating over them, just open braided stainless and they can abrade and fail if the rubber isolators that keep them from rubbing move or fall off.

If you don't gave PDCC, you can also check the connections on the height sensors at each wheel on the air strut to make sure they're well connected. These also control the auto-leveling system for the Xenon headlights.

Good luck and let us know what you find.
Old 07-11-2018, 12:04 PM
hahnmgh63
Three Wheelin'

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

What the other guys above said. Also, are you mechanically inclined to work on your vehicle or are you fishing for info for the shop doing the work. If the latter then you need to find a different shop that has the software/tools to work on the Cayenne. Many here have the Durametric or the ICarscan tools and if you are going to work on it then you need one of these or something similar. A simple code reader isn't enough to work on it and the codes are sometimes very generic.
Old 07-11-2018, 10:40 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 557 Likes on 424 Posts

Your pump may have given up the ghost.

For some perspective vs what's mentioned above, due to certain circumstances I drove around 900 miles after getting the red chassis failure warning due to a pump failure, with no subsequent issues once the pump was addressed.
Old 07-12-2018, 01:58 AM
deilenberger
Banned

Originally Posted by garrett376
Your pump may have given up the ghost.

For some perspective vs what's mentioned above, due to certain circumstances I drove around 900 miles after getting the red chassis failure warning due to a pump failure, with no subsequent issues once the pump was addressed.
Was your suspension fully lowered when the chassis failure lamp was on? What I'd be concerned with is driving around with no spring action from the air springs. I can't imagine that being very good for the air-springs or shocks in the center of them. That's what he's described above.
Originally Posted by Opsec87
Vehicle stuck in very low height, suspension exceptionally harsh.
Old 07-12-2018, 02:06 AM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 557 Likes on 424 Posts

Yup!
Old 07-12-2018, 10:06 PM
Opsec87
Intermediate

Wow, thanks so much for all the responses guys. This has already been one of the most cordial and helpful forums I’ve been involved with and it’s only been a few days.
I quit driving it as soon I started seeing red messages. Figured better safe than bankrupt.
I am fairly mechanically inclined, but lack a shop and most of my tools (I work here in Missoula, MT on a somewhat seasonal basis).
i also lack a durometer capable of really complex Porsche things.
I just bought the vehicle about a month ago (1st Porsche) so I’m not exceptionally familiar with a lot of the complex systems and how they integrate. I’d rather not pay God knows what to ship it to Spokane, WA, but if that’s how it has to be, then I guess I’ll deal.

thanks again for all of y’alls insight.
Old 07-12-2018, 11:15 PM
deilenberger
Banned

The upside is - no big gaps in the wheelwells with it at the lowest level.. so nice picture!
Old 07-12-2018, 11:39 PM
Opsec87
Intermediate

#Stance
Old 07-12-2018, 11:48 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Originally Posted by Opsec87
#Stance
You got it..
Old 07-12-2018, 11:49 PM
deilenberger
Banned

BTW - I think that actually looks lower than the "LOAD" position on a working suspension. My WAG - no air in the springs = no spring travel. Your suspension is basically the sidewalls of your tires.
Old 07-12-2018, 11:56 PM
Opsec87
Intermediate

Thankfully they aren’t actually rubbing; it just feels like it’s on it’s bump stops.
Old 07-12-2018, 11:57 PM
Opsec87
Intermediate

Also, it has 97,000 miles on it if that helps anyone’s opinion.

Quick Reply: Chassis system troubles