Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2004 Cayenne 955 Turbo Upgrade Build Thread, Custom Manifolds, BW EFR 7163's

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2018, 09:42 PM
J'sWorld
Three Wheelin'

Received 183 Likes on 135 Posts

I am gonna go ahead and bump myself because I am still looking for a tuner. The Cayenne is locked and loaded. I need a tuner.

There is nobody in the world apparently that is able or willing to tune this Motronic 7.1.1 DME. Shipping or driving/trailering the vehicle to be tuned live is not a problem. I don't want to blow up my Cayenne. I will work with you and respect you to the fullest. I have worked very hard both to afford and build this. I don't want to second guess anybody or tell them how to do their job. I am a question asker. I'm curious. I have a lot of passion for the Cayenne obviously. I want to know stuff for understanding better the things that I do not expertise in. I am not a programmer, coder, or tuner in the sense of sitting in a car on the dyno with a pc. I could probably learn but it isn't in my life plans right now.

The largest problem I am encountering right now is that the 955 is not a relevant platform. It doesn't deserve anybodys time in the arms race to actually develop products that MAKE MONEY. This is the reality but I love this vehicle anyway and I can only imagine how difficult it is to make any real money dealing with cars......and customers.

My heart is not set in stone on any 1 solution. From what I have gathered is that there are a few immediate hurdles and possibly options with this ecu.
Regardless of what the engine is built for or the size of the turbo's I do have realistic grounded expectations. Ideally I would like to tune for max power on pump gas(93) and then start e85 tuning.

I have a 100% sorted build that is 100% problem free and running very very well on the stock tune and MAF's.

I'm ready to go. Lets break some records.
The following users liked this post:
ElSpoon958 (03-06-2022)
Old 06-06-2018, 10:06 PM
Brainz
Rennlist Member

Received 125 Likes on 98 Posts

I'm not a tuner, but I stayed in a Holiday Inn once. As part of my curiosity about ECU maps, I stumbled across the Nefarious Motorsports forum where tuning Bosch ME7 ECUs is the main focus. It's substantially populated by Audi and VW guys, but the random Porsche request shows up from time to time. I'd consider posting over there and asking for assistance with ME7.1.1. Note that it appears that the 7.1.1 ECU is shared with certain other VWs. If true, it may be the case that someone has all the tables mapped and ready for modification. The VW/Audi guys seem really good at modifying their own tunes using the info on this forum. It seems to me that it's a matter of time before the knowledge trickles over to the generally more risk averse/less interested P crowd. If I had the time, I'd join you on the voyage. Link to history of Bosch Motronic chronology : http://nefariousmotorsports.com/foru...=10419.0title=

Hope that helps.
Old 06-06-2018, 10:35 PM
J'sWorld
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Brainz
I'm not a tuner, but I stayed in a Holiday Inn once. As part of my curiosity about ECU maps, I stumbled across the Nefarious Motorsports forum where tuning Bosch ME7 ECUs is the main focus. It's substantially populated by Audi and VW guys, but the random Porsche request shows up from time to time. I'd consider posting over there and asking for assistance with ME7.1.1. Note that it appears that the 7.1.1 ECU is shared with certain other VWs. If true, it may be the case that someone has all the tables mapped and ready for modification. The VW/Audi guys seem really good at modifying their own tunes using the info on this forum. It seems to me that it's a matter of time before the knowledge trickles over to the generally more risk averse/less interested P crowd. If I had the time, I'd join you on the voyage. Link to history of Bosch Motronic chronology : http://nefariousmotorsports.com/foru...=10419.0title=

Hope that helps.
Your totally right B. It can most definitly be done, a couple of ways. Personally I'm not the least bit interested in learning Motronic. This is one area I happily digress. Nefmoto is a legendary site.
Old 06-06-2018, 10:55 PM
Brainz
Rennlist Member

I hear you. If I didn't have a thousand other unfinished projects I might dig in, but not likely happen soon. Maybe post over there and see if there's s 7.1.1 expert for hire? Surely somebody knows the tables. Good luck, really want to see this happen.
Old 06-11-2018, 03:32 PM
reeddnlsn
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check out https://www.facebook.com/DankTunedEngineering/

You should also join the Cayenne Support group (“Porsche Cayenne Support (955/957/958)”) on Facebook. They would absolutely love your build!

Old 06-11-2018, 10:42 PM
J'sWorld
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by reeddnlsn
Check out https://www.facebook.com/DankTunedEngineering/

You should also join the Cayenne Support group (“Porsche Cayenne Support (955/957/958)”) on Facebook. They would absolutely love your build!

I actually emailed Josh Dank over the weekend and he expressed interest but I think he is very busy right now. In fact I think its kinda the busy season now for everyone. I'd like to post the long list of tuners that I think are officially out, but that isn't cool. Trust me, I didn't just start considering the tuning aspect of this build. This is something I have been researching quite some time. I have made many a contact both inside and out of the country. I thought maybe this would be like "Field of Dreams". But they aren't coming to play! It really doesn't even appear to be a money factor. Yet I'm still super motivated and excited. I have several inquiries out right now and I am waiting patiently! I am doing some research right now on using a standalone transmission controller which actually looks plausible. That would open up a lot of options for standalone and tuning..
I am avoiding that route because I know that the stock ecu and tcu can be modified to do exactly what I want. Hell, even the tcu is second on my list as I'd just like to get started somewhere and stick with the same tuner to the end.

I did join the FB Cayenne support group as I consider Zachary a friend and a great guy. I made an exception to my practice of not being involved in that type of social media and got slammed for having an anonimous profile. TBO, after 8 years of ownership and the road I have been down I am pretty sick of talking about maintainence and the same regurgitated topics. I also do not enjoy the FB platform for topics. To me its just a random feed. So, I left.

Keep em coming guys
Old 06-11-2018, 11:29 PM
Brainz
Rennlist Member

I'd pay money for a transmission tune that eliminated all the lazy maps on the 955. The Cayenne trans (when the VB isn't sticking) is quite strong and can be shifted well manually, but the stock programming is pretty poor.

Keeping my fingers crossed you find a guy.
Old 06-12-2018, 12:32 AM
J'sWorld
Three Wheelin'

I'd pay money for a transmission tune that eliminated all the lazy maps on the 955. The Cayenne trans (when the VB isn't sticking) is quite strong and can be shifted well manually, but the stock programming is pretty poor.

Keeping my fingers crossed you find a guy.
Yes, it is. You gotta own that bitch.
Old 06-12-2018, 12:39 AM
J'sWorld
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Mr. Haney
Yes, it is. You gotta own that bitch.
I am figuring out how to build boost in second and force to first on launch. it works.1rst is too low and pulls through the brakes. Maybe a line lock of sorts would help. In tip mode you can get engine braking in first because the tcu applies the drum brake. I am getting some ideas for a trans brake too. I have some good tech documentation on exactly how the trans and VB works including tcu logic and amperages. My PIWIS tells me all the inputs and outputs that come and go from the trans/CU, dme, etc. under actual values. It is a big puzzle I am piecing together and if it comes to that point I am looking at megashift and tcu2800 right now.
Old 06-27-2018, 11:13 PM
J'sWorld
Three Wheelin'

Pretty sure that I have a tuner locked down and the best part is they are located in Houston and can dyno tune to get close in a safer and quicker manner without all the logging and revisions back and forth. I am really hoping to make some serious progress in the next few weeks. Either gonna break some parts or some hearts!

Old 06-27-2018, 11:25 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,167 Likes on 3,931 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Haney
Pretty sure that I have a tuner locked down and the best part is they are located in Houston and can dyno tune to get close in a safer and quicker manner without all the logging and revisions back and forth. I am really hoping to make some serious progress in the next few weeks. Either gonna break some parts or some hearts!

Super exciting development - good luck !
Old 06-27-2018, 11:26 PM
user 83838290
Banned

Received 471 Likes on 272 Posts

Wooohoooo, congrats!!!
Old 06-28-2018, 10:00 PM
J'sWorld
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Petza914
Super exciting development - good luck !
Originally Posted by lupo.sk
Wooohoooo, congrats!!!
I just hit the like button twice. Thanks guys!
Old 06-28-2018, 10:36 PM
Brainz
Rennlist Member

So let me know if/when you're doing any tuning in Houston as I'd love to come see the beast. Super excited for you. Progress!
Old 06-28-2018, 10:54 PM
J'sWorld
Three Wheelin'

So let me know if/when you're doing any tuning in Houston as I'd love to come see the beast. Super excited for you. Progress!
Will do. Pm sent

Quick Reply: 2004 Cayenne 955 Turbo Upgrade Build Thread, Custom Manifolds, BW EFR 7163's