Buyer and Seller Feeback Use this forum to report good or bad transactions.

Buyer Beware of Alex... “AA996TT”

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2021, 06:33 PM
golfmanlk
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Buyer Beware of Alex... “AA996TT”

Sold me a “new” fob for the 996 but after trips to 2 local dealers both told me the fob had already been programmed and was useless. I asked Alex for a refund as it was not described accurately and he said a refund was not possible. Don’t believe he actually tried to rip me off, but, but an honest guy would have apologized for my inconvenience and simply returned my money... thx Alex! Stand up Guy!
Old 05-18-2021, 12:48 AM
AA996TT
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Here is the full story that he fails to mention when he characterizes me as being a "Stand up Guy". I bought a 2003 996TT back in 2014 and the owner gave me 2 keys and a key fob in a bag (as pictured in the for sale thread for the fob). The owner told me he bought it as a backup and never used it. I advertised it as new because I was told it was new and it had the original bag and most importantly it had the 24 digit code under the bar code. Before I listed it I called Pelican Parts and the local Porsche dealer to make sure it could be programmed. Both said that it could. I sold it to golfmanlk for $100. He took it to another dealer on the other side of town and was told it would not work. He contacted me about this and I placed a call to the dealership I go to. I'm not sure why it would not program at either dealership but while I was at MidOhio a couple of weekends ago I spoke to the main Porsche mechanic from my dealership and he told me it makes no difference if the key was programmed to another car. This key fob can be programmed to any 996 to turn it on and turn it off. To lock and unlock the doors you need the 24 digit code which is on the tag. In total, I placed 4 calls to the dealership and 12 text messages to the dealership advisor on golfmanlk's behalf. I can understand that he is frustrated that 2 dealerships were not able to program it but I did everything on my end and as I stated, the head mechanic told me it can still be programmed.
Old 05-18-2021, 10:08 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,728 Likes on 1,074 Posts

If it doesn’t work him, I would allow him to return it.

I once sold an audio receiver that came with my house. I never tested it, and assumed it worked. It didn’t occur to me that the receiver didn’t work. Even if the receiver did work, it was DOA when it arrived, so I just refunded their money (too heavy and worthless to ship back).

When I sell things, if it doesn’t work out, I allow the buyer to send it back. This is a Porsche community, we need to take better care of each other.
The following 2 users liked this post by Mike Murphy:
ggreg911 (09-02-2021), Jay Wellwood (09-03-2021)
Old 05-18-2021, 01:00 PM
C2 Turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 185 Posts

I would call the dealer of his choice and confirm with them to see if it's programmable and it yes, game on or else a refund. ,
Old 05-18-2021, 11:13 PM
AA996TT
Advanced

That's the thing, the key is still programmable according to the mechanic I spoke to and he was willing to take on this job himself. He is the head mechanic and I know him well. I have a 2015 GT3 and he did the engine replacement this past Fall and I spoke to him often. When I asked him about the key he immediately told me what needed to be done.
Old 05-26-2021, 10:20 AM
golfmanlk
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts

What Alex does not get is that both Porsche dealers told me the fob was already programmed once and cannot be programmed again! It’s useless, code or no code! I spent $85 x 2 and drove all over NE Ohio. Just wanted my money back as it was sold as new, would work and it’s definitely not new and will not work.... I’ve never done business like this and never would....
Old 05-27-2021, 02:22 AM
AA996TT
Advanced

"Already programmed once and cannot be programmed again" is false. These fobs can be used on more than one car as long as you have the code which I gave you.
Old 09-02-2021, 03:41 PM
ggreg911
Racer

Received 211 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by AA996TT
"Already programmed once and cannot be programmed again" is false. These fobs can be used on more than one car as long as you have the code which I gave you.
just gave him his money back....your time has to be worth more than this
The following users liked this post:
halo777 (09-03-2021)

Quick Reply: Buyer Beware of Alex... “AA996TT”