Notices
Boxster & Boxster S (986) Forum 1996-2004
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Go in for a throw-out bearing, come out with a new motor!

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2007, 12:19 PM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Exclamation Go in for a throw-out bearing, come out with a new motor!

So a few weeks ago, when we had one of our first really nice days and I could do some top down driving, I heard a squeak coming from under the car. Long story short, I needed a new throw-out bearing so off to the dealer I went. (..my car is CPO, so the dealer gets first crack at the fix..)

While they're in there, they notice my RMS is seaping, so they're also going to replace that for me at no charge. (Cool!) After inspecting the clutch, they recommend taking advantage of the "free labor" and replacing that as well (I only have to pay for the parts, not the labor). OK then, I can handle that and it's probably a good idea.

At the end of the week when it was supposed to be done, I called on the car and the tech says it's not ready yet because the new RMS is still seaping, and they need to look into what to do next. OK then...

So almost a week later now and I just called for an update:

"Joseph Northland service, this is blah blah blah.."

"Yes, hi, this is Douglas Cole and I have an '01 Boxster in and I just wanted to get an update on the car?"

"You mean the one that's getting a new engine?"

"...uhhh...well I was in for a throw out bearing and rear main seal and..."

"...Yeah, we're replacing your engine. We got the old one out and the new one should be in any day now."

"...oh...uhhh...OK....wow...umm...so, did the old one have that out of round problem and that's what was causing the rear main seal to leak?"

"Yep."

So I'm not sure what to think...I don't know whether to be pissed that my 33.5k car needs a new motor, or just glad that I'm getting this "gift" because I was smart enough to buy certified pre-owned?!?!? Either way, in a week I'm going to have a Boxster with a new motor.

For the record, this is my second Boxster (out of three) that is getting a new motor. Again, I don't know what to think about that.

Anywho...just wanted to share...
Old 03-29-2007, 01:16 PM
stumpjumper
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd be annoyed that you have to baby it for another 1000 miles!

other than that and the way it'll throw off your maintenance schedule I don't see it as a bad thing
Old 03-29-2007, 01:36 PM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by stumpjumper
I'd be annoyed that you have to baby it for another 1000 miles!
I'm thinking of taking a drive up to the family's for a long weekend, that should put enough break-in miles on it.

Although, I remember when my '99 got a new motor, they told me there was no "break-in" period needed. The Tech guy just smiled and told me to drive it like I normally do. I wonder if reman motors are already "broken in"?

Either way, it's not like I'm going to take it to an AutoX the first weekend I have it...
Old 03-29-2007, 01:39 PM
stumpjumper
Drifting

weird, the only rebuilt engine I had needed to be broken in (or so I was told)

since you'd be getting a crate motor, I think that means you get a new ac compressor, new water pump, new air/oil seperator, new belts obviously, plugs too but you'd have just replaced those a little bit ago, but best of all a new engine warranty! (2 years I think)
Old 03-29-2007, 01:42 PM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yeah, I'm a little suspect of that, too. We'll see what this tech says. More than likely, I'll be taking it easy for a bit. Good thing the Boxster does just as well at "taking it easy" as it does at "floor it and steer like crazy!".

Re: warranty...I still have 16mo left on the CPO on the car, and now it'll be 2yrs on the motor. Yeah, that's pretty cool!
Old 03-29-2007, 03:11 PM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

...seeping, not seaping...
Old 03-29-2007, 03:34 PM
clifforza
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just had mine (2000S Tip) in for the 30K. When I called to check on the status, the service manager says "It's not ready yet. We had to replace the RMS and the intermediate shaft seal." Gulp. "Ahh OK. What's that going to cost me?" "Oh, no worries. That's covered by the CPO". YeeHaa. The CPO just paid for itself. Cliff

Trending Topics

Old 03-29-2007, 03:39 PM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by clifforza
The CPO just paid for itself.
Yeah, I don't think I'll buy another w/o it. Of course, this will probably be my last 986 model Boxster I buy. For the next one I'll just wait until I can afford one of the 987 variety. ...or my brother's Cayman S.
Old 03-29-2007, 03:50 PM
clifforza
Intermediate

CaymanS. Now you're talkin'. I think I got my wife hooked on the convertible though. Did you ever figure out what that whistle was? Haven't noticed it on ours lately, although it has been put away most of the winter.
Old 03-29-2007, 04:00 PM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

CaymanS. Now you're talkin'. I think I got my wife hooked on the convertible though.
Yeah, nothing beats a topless Porsche on a sunny day. But the CS has 911 hp and a better interior. We'll have to see how it wears (that is if my brother keeps it long enough...he seems to have the same disease I do! )

Did you ever figure out what that whistle was? Haven't noticed it on ours lately, although it has been put away most of the winter.
Yeah, it took me a while but whatever the dealership fixed seemed to cure it. Info at the end of this page:
https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...6&page=3&pp=15
Old 03-29-2007, 04:13 PM
clifforza
Intermediate

Thanks Doug. Now if the noise starts up again, I know what to tell them to do.
Old 03-29-2007, 04:16 PM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Glad to help.
Old 03-29-2007, 06:42 PM
986Jim
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have built and re-built a whole lot of engines and never ever have I NEVER broken in a motor with 1000 miles of easy driving. My talon I built a whole new motor for, .020 over Wiseco pistons, Eagle rods, polished crank, bored the block, removed the balance shafts, 2g head ported with valves and comp cams. I had the machining done at a machining shop obviously but the rest of the assembly was done by myself. I have built a few motors now (read hundreds) and on the way home I hit the car with 22psi of boost on 9:1 compression with a t3/t4 50trim (pretty large 550+whp capable) on the way home from the shop. I continued to hit the car pretty hard (well into the 300-350whp level) for the next week before I dumped race gas in the car and hit the track with well over 450whp...

The car has done well over 20k and the compression is still over 180 right where it has been since the build and doesn't burn a drop of oil.

Honestly the whole "breaking in the motor" thing depending on who you talk to, is a bunch of bunk. I did go easy on my motor in the beginning but only because I wanted to make sure nothing was wrong like I forgot to tighten down a rod bolt or something lol.. Once I knew it was ok with in 200miles it was taking a full beating.

The engine was built with OEM style piston rings and bearings which is what your breaking in. I just hammer it from the get to and have yet to have any of my built motors do anything but perform flawlessly.

I have not built a Porsche motor ever (subaru 2.0 I have done) so not sure how all that pans out with these motors. From what I understand they have a nikasil bore liner which makes them non rebuildable unless you press in a new liner which is no big deal, do that on 600+ hp Honda motors all the time.
Old 03-29-2007, 06:45 PM
mborkow
Drifting

man, not that the car i drive is perfect, but threads like this make me wonder if i should just go get a miata...
Old 03-29-2007, 06:51 PM
986Jim
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your borrowing trouble, forget about it. When something happens the money you lose selling your Boxster and buying a Miata will pay for a 3.4L.

Quick Reply: Go in for a throw-out bearing, come out with a new motor!