Notices
Boxster & Boxster S (986) Forum 1996-2004
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Interesting noises coming from my '01...

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2006, 08:24 AM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Since my car is under warranty, I'm having the dealership do all the fixing right now. I still haven't gotten a call from my dealer that "the parts" are in. I wonder if they tried the fuel filler tube and are now going to replace the purge valve in the engine compartment? Maybe I should call them for an update on when my parts are coming in....
Old 10-03-2006, 02:05 PM
oversteerdawg
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The vent is actually called a bleeder valve. Here's a disgram:

#12 in the pic. This is more likely to be it than the purge valve, however both are likely culprits.
Old 10-03-2006, 02:18 PM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks dawg! By the way, welcome to Rennlist.
Old 10-11-2006, 08:05 PM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

I just wanted to give an update for those waiting for a verdict...I still haven't gotten the car back into the dealership. One, they haven't called me with "the part" yet, but also I haven't had any time to call them to see if it's in. With the way my work schedule has been, I need to have time to get the car up to Dayton (from Cinci) and be able to pick it up. I've had some long days lately and don't see that changing anytime soon...

Rest assured, when it's fixed, I'll post here on the "verdict".
Old 10-12-2006, 09:30 PM
oversteerdawg
Advanced

Doug,

If your car is under warranty, Porsche will pay for a rental/loaner until they fix your car. Chances are that they won't put you in another Porsche, but it will eable them to get working on the car as soon as they have the parts. Both the bleeder valve and the purge valve are quick fixes.
Old 10-13-2006, 08:03 AM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks. Yeah, the last time it was in the shop, I had a Jag for a "rental"...paid for by Porsche. But the dealership where I bought the car is about 45 minutes away, so even to get the car there and pick it up, it kills two hours out of my day. I just don't have that lately. Soon...
Old 10-13-2006, 07:43 PM
jrok
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Doug&Julie
The other I noticed only this morning when I started the car. There was quite a wine coming from that back of the car. It only lasted a few seconds and I never heard it the rest of my drive. I'll keep an ear out for it in case it was just "something weird". But Julie drove the car yesterday and mentioned a similar noise. I thought she was talking about the induction howl, but maybe she was talking about this? Hmm...
I had a similar sound when first starting the car in the morning but by the time I drive out of the condo parking lot it's gone for the day. Turned out I had power steering fluid leaking from the front hoses and it was a slightly low power steering fluid level that would make the whine during the first start of the day. My car is a 987 but I have been told the problem exists on 986 and 996 cars also. Don't know if it's related but I thought I'd mention it just in case.
Old 10-13-2006, 10:56 PM
jet190rs
Track Day

my '98 makes the noise only if i am idle for more than 10-20 sec (i.e. red lights). once i start going then the noise stops. the car has always done this since it was bought new from the dealer 8 years ago. i always thought it was normal and that it must be some sort of fan turning on to cool the engine while idling...???

ps: its funny how everyone in this thread is describing the noise a little differently or happens in different situations LOL.
Old 10-30-2006, 05:08 PM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Question

Thanks. Yeah, the last time it was in the shop, I had a Jag for a "rental"...paid for by Porsche. But the dealership where I bought the car is about 45 minutes away, so even to get the car there and pick it up, it kills two hours out of my day. I just don't have that lately. Soon...

Call me crazy (I don't have a Boxster), but I have been following this thread... any updates?
Old 10-30-2006, 05:09 PM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Wachuko
Call me crazy (I don't have a Boxster), but I have been following this thread... any updates?
YOU'RE CRAZY!!!

..no, I'm sorry, still no updates. Hopefully before Thanksgiving. (..yes, my life is that busy..)
Old 11-30-2006, 07:38 PM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

OK gang, the verdict appears to be in. I dropped the car off Tuesday morning to a perplexed Porsche service department in Dayton (where I bought the car). They said they had contacted Porsche to find the "answer" and didn't get a difinative one, but thought they had an idea on what it might be. Well they called tonight and it appears they have fixed the problem.

So what's the answer you ask? Well, in the (almost) hour long drive in heavy traffice and heavy rain, I seem to have forgotten all of the details. Suffice to say I was told it's an airflow problem (impropoper venting) and not something terminal. (..so don't panic if you have this problem.) They are actually going to send my part back to Porsche because "they want to see it".

Here is what my service report / receipt says:

"CUSTOMER REPORTS THERE IS A HOWLING NOISE COMING THROUGH PASSENGER SIDE VENT.
REMOVED FENDER WELL AND BUMPER COVER AND DETERMINED NOSE TO BE COMING FROM SHUT OFF VALVE BLOCK.
CLEANED FILTER LINE HOUSING TO REAR OF VEHICLE AND REPLACED VALVE BLOCK."

Parts:
996-605-201-01...SHUT-OFF VALVE
996-605-213-01...CARBON CONT VALV
996-201-231-01...VALVE HOUSING
CCLAMP...CRIMP CLAMP

So, they tell me it's fixed. They were able to replicate my noise, and after this fix they say it's gone. I never heard it on the way home, so I'm choosing to believe it's actually fixed. Yeah!

...and for the record, man it's good to be back in my Boxster again. I had a Jaguar loaner car...what a P.O.S. I mean, it drove nice and all, but at only 40k miles it had squeaks in the dash, squeaks when you turned the steering wheel, the bolts on the seat were loose (or something) and the seat would "rock" back and forth a little...and to top it off the car was just an ergonomic nightmare (I never did find the power lock button). This is the second Jag I've had as a loaner and the other one wasn't much better. Scratch me off the list of people who would ever consider buying a Jaguar.

Anywho...hope this info helps all of you with the same funny noise!

Old 11-30-2006, 09:13 PM
kenkamm

Thanks for not forgetting about the rest of us that have this problem!
Old 12-01-2006, 08:05 AM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'm sorry it took so long! I haven't had a light week in such a long time to get my car up to Dayton until recently. Work sucks...
Old 11-02-2007, 07:32 PM
perfectlap
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

my ghost has come back...bottle blowing sound came up the the other night. Did anyone have any success with the DIY suggestions in this thread?
Old 11-02-2007, 10:52 PM
Charlie C
Porsche Nut
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 69 Posts

I'm sorry it took so long! I haven't had a light week in such a long time to get my car up to Dayton until recently. Work sucks...
Hey Doug, time to update the sig.

Quick Reply: Interesting noises coming from my '01...