Notices
Boxster & Boxster S (986) Forum 1996-2004
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Go in for a throw-out bearing, come out with a new motor!

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2007, 07:08 PM
mborkow
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 986Jim
Your borrowing trouble, forget about it. When something happens the money you lose selling your Boxster and buying a Miata will pay for a 3.4L.
not sure i follow what you mean...
Old 03-29-2007, 10:53 PM
986Jim
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mborkow
not sure i follow what you mean...
It's like selling a house with a problem and buying a new one. Generally the transaction costs you more than fixing the problem does.
Old 03-29-2007, 11:06 PM
mborkow
Drifting

It's like selling a house with a problem and buying a new one. Generally the transaction costs you more than fixing the problem does.
ah, i see...but i don't have a boxster and have no plans on selling my car. i was driving a convertible on vacation a few months ago and realized i missed open air motoring. if i do get a miata, it will be in addition to my current ride (miata just isn't practical :-O)
Old 03-30-2007, 08:19 AM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 993James993
Does anyone know if you purchase a used car from someone other than the dealer, can you purchase the extended warranty?
I don't think so, I think to get Porsche's CPO you have to go through a dealer. I know there are aftermarket warranties that some people have had good luck with, but I'd be leary of those.

Keep in mind guys and gals that if I didn't have the warranty, I'd simply be driving a Boxster with a seeping rear main seal. Obviously I didn't notice it myself (it didn't leave anything on the garage floor) and it's not effecting the mechanicals...I believe the original motor would have run as long as any other motor had we just buttoned it up and driven it home. But I'm sure with all of the complaining Porsche has gotten, they just have a policy to fix the RMS whatever it takes. They tried the new seal and all the new "parts" to help fix it, and it was still seeping. So the techs decided the next step was to replace the motor. They didn't consult me (which is an annoyance, for the record), they just moved on to the next logical thing to fix the RMS. Bonus for me!
Old 03-30-2007, 11:54 AM
Pzkw993
Instructor

Originally Posted by Doug&Julie
But the CS has 911 hp and a better interior.
The one I drove felt like it only had 296 horsepower.
Old 03-30-2007, 11:59 AM
Jay Laifman
Pro

2 out of 3 with new engines? All at the same shop?
Old 03-30-2007, 08:00 PM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Pzkw993
The one I drove felt like it only had 296 horsepower.
That's 911 horsepower. ..if you drive a 911 on 87 octane.
Old 03-30-2007, 08:04 PM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jay Laifman
2 out of 3 with new engines? All at the same shop?
Two were purchased from Joseph Northland Porsche here in Cinci, the latest one purchased at White Allen Porsche in Dayton. Both replacements were done at the same dealership (JNP). Keep in mind, only one actually "blew" it's motor, so only one "had" to have it's motor replaced (the second 99). For the '01, it's being done to fix an oil leak.
Old 04-01-2007, 02:06 AM
PTEC
Burning Brakes

Yeah, I'm a little suspect of that, too. We'll see what this tech says. More than likely, I'll be taking it easy for a bit. Good thing the Boxster does just as well at "taking it easy" as it does at "floor it and steer like crazy!".

Re: warranty...I still have 16mo left on the CPO on the car, and now it'll be 2yrs on the motor. Yeah, that's pretty cool!
Actually the warranty on the engine is the same as the rest of the car. The 2 year warranty would only apply if you had paid for the engine yourself.
Old 04-01-2007, 10:50 AM
First986NJ
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have built and re-built a whole lot of engines and never ever have I NEVER broken in a motor with 1000 miles of easy driving. My talon I built a whole new motor for, .020 over Wiseco pistons, Eagle rods, polished crank, bored the block, removed the balance shafts, 2g head ported with valves and comp cams. I had the machining done at a machining shop obviously but the rest of the assembly was done by myself. I have built a few motors now (read hundreds) and on the way home I hit the car with 22psi of boost on 9:1 compression with a t3/t4 50trim (pretty large 550+whp capable) on the way home from the shop. I continued to hit the car pretty hard (well into the 300-350whp level) for the next week before I dumped race gas in the car and hit the track with well over 450whp...

The car has done well over 20k and the compression is still over 180 right where it has been since the build and doesn't burn a drop of oil.

Honestly the whole "breaking in the motor" thing depending on who you talk to, is a bunch of bunk. I did go easy on my motor in the beginning but only because I wanted to make sure nothing was wrong like I forgot to tighten down a rod bolt or something lol.. Once I knew it was ok with in 200miles it was taking a full beating.

The engine was built with OEM style piston rings and bearings which is what your breaking in. I just hammer it from the get to and have yet to have any of my built motors do anything but perform flawlessly.

I have not built a Porsche motor ever (subaru 2.0 I have done) so not sure how all that pans out with these motors. From what I understand they have a nikasil bore liner which makes them non rebuildable unless you press in a new liner which is no big deal, do that on 600+ hp Honda motors all the time.
I agree with you on this one Jim. I was partners with a friend on a Super Gas car in the 80's. My partner had been racing B gas cars since the 50's. We rebuilt the engine about every third national we ran. We would start the engines up and check pressures and temps, raise the rpms and let everything seat in, then shut them down and change the oil and filters. The next time it got started it would be doing 5000 rpm holeshots and mid 8 second runs with 8000 rpm shifts. My partner used to say "you break 'em in how your gonna' run 'em."

We never once had a motor grenade on us.
Old 04-01-2007, 12:03 PM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PTEC
Actually the warranty on the engine is the same as the rest of the car. The 2 year warranty would only apply if you had paid for the engine yourself.
Really? I thought, since it's technically a "part", it's warranted as such...for two years? I guess I'll have to verify this!
Old 04-01-2007, 07:24 PM
PTEC
Burning Brakes

Really? I thought, since it's technically a "part", it's warranted as such...for two years? I guess I'll have to verify this!
The two year, unlimited milage warranty on Porsche parts only applies unless you pay them. The parts warranty can not be used as an extension of the regular or CPO warranty.
Old 04-02-2007, 08:23 AM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Well that's disappointing. ..'course, it is still a new motor.
Old 04-04-2007, 03:50 PM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Got the car back today....YEAH!!!! Man I'd forgotten how smooth this car is.

New motor, new throw out bearing, new clutch. Interestingly, the clutch is significantly lighter than when I bought the car. I'm thinking it should have been a sign. Every time I'd go from Julie's Subie to my Boxster, I'd think man this clutch is heavy. Must have been a reason for it, because now it's butter smooth and nicely weighted. (..if not a little light!)

FYI the tech says no break-in period for reman motors...they're "pre broken-in". Let 'er rip!
Old 04-04-2007, 04:28 PM
stumpjumper
Drifting

have fun! mine's on a lift to day with the tranny out... but I don't feel bad because it's snowing

Quick Reply: Go in for a throw-out bearing, come out with a new motor!