Sponsored by:

2000 986 2.7 engine service manual

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2023, 01:14 AM
Dtex
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default 2000 986 2.7 engine service manual

Can anyone help me located an engine service manual for the m96 engine. I bought the Bently manual and is low level parts store type manual. I am dealing with the p1341 cam code . Thanks in advance.
Old 04-13-2023, 01:47 PM
JFP in PA
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Dtex
Can anyone help me located an engine service manual for the m96 engine. I bought the Bently manual and is low level parts store type manual. I am dealing with the p1341 cam code . Thanks in advance.
Porsche stopped publishing all service manuals in 2004, and even the complete 13 volume set contains precious little engine internal information as they didn't even want the dealers to dig into the M96. P1341 is also not listed in the OBD II manual for that engine, so I would check that code # as well................
Old 04-13-2023, 06:39 PM
Dtex
Intermediate

It is definitely p1341 right bank cam position implausible. I need to replace the cam phaser solonoid and /or cam phaser. I realize that there are somethings special to this Porsche m96, but in the end it is just an engine. Pistons valves, crank and cams. Thanks I will search on.
Old 04-15-2023, 12:34 AM
Dtex
Intermediate

I was able to pull that code with Snap on scanner through OBD direct. I also found the information I needed about cam timing. As far as this p1341 code goes, it was suggested to me this code could be an electrical issue to the solonoid as well as the cps I suppose. There is also an issue with oil in the ecu connector, in my experience that is usually from a pressure sensor or proportional control actuator . So my issue may include progressive damage. Has anyone experienced the cam solenoid pushing oil up the wire on the m96?
Old 04-15-2023, 01:57 AM
TexSquirrel
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,428 Likes on 1,293 Posts

@Porschetech3, I’m sure you‘ve got some advice.
Old 04-15-2023, 02:12 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,647 Likes on 2,106 Posts

Originally Posted by TexSquirrel
@Porschetech3, I’m sure you‘ve got some advice.
Yes, with code P1341 signal implausible/unbelievable what you want to do is monitor the actual cam position value with the tester as you slowly rev the engine and let idle...

What you want to see is the cam position for bank 1 and bank 2 about the same at idle, then as you rev past 1200rpm you want to see both bank 1 and bank 2 change 25 degrees ( crank) at the same time/same amount, then as you come back to idle you want to see them come back to where they were before revving and they should come bank down at the same time..

If one side is sluggish/slow to move OR slow to return it will throw a code....and the issue is the actuator its self...( not the solenoid) ... if one side doesn't move at all then you can have a bad solenoid, wiring, or even the transistor in the DME...

Yes I have seen oil leak internally in the solenoid and be pushed up the wires, and it can go as far as the DME but normally starts dripping out at the connector...

But with code P1341 signal implausible,always verify the function of the Vario-Cam is "believable/plausible" first !! by watching it in action with the tester...

Old 04-15-2023, 04:48 PM
JFP in PA
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

It is definitely p1341 right bank cam position implausible. I need to replace the cam phaser solonoid and /or cam phaser. I realize that there are somethings special to this Porsche m96, but in the end it is just an engine. Pistons valves, crank and cams. Thanks I will search on.
Just discovered that this code was covered in an addendum to the OBD manual:P1341 Camshaft Adjustment, Bank 1 – Below Limit

Potential causes:

– Short to ground

– Actuator faulty

– Open circuit in triggering wire

– Open circuit in B+ supply

So you are correct, it is a valid code involving the Vario Cam actuator.
Old 04-15-2023, 10:15 PM
Dtex
Intermediate

While we are on the subject , any advise on aftermarket scanner that would allow me to access to the aforementioned data. My old scanner will communicate through OBD but cam position data not available.
Old 04-22-2023, 07:30 PM
Dtex
Intermediate

I have only gotten as far getting my car in the air. Gonna start with the electrical. But in the mean time as I research this project and engine: I have been thinking about the variable cam timing theory of operation. A proportional oil control valve directs oil to a linear actuator as demanded from the ECU. That leads to some questions that I have not been able to find. Is there any kind of screen or orifice that could be clogged in that assembly? Also replacing the cam actuator and / or guides looks straight forward. But as a linear actuator surely it must have seals. I have not seen a seal kit listed for the actuator.
I did see see some o rings on Pelican that were listed as for the actuator but did not look like the one under the tensioner, hard to tell in the pictures though. Is the actuator a unit that can be disassembled and resealed? Thanks
Old 10-09-2023, 12:14 PM
Dtex
Intermediate

Default FINALLY!

After some months I finally got my car back on the road. Replaced Bank 1 cam actuator, the bottom cam chain guide had worn through and broke off. Here are some videos if interested. http://www.tiktok.com/t/ZT8rPfBrg/

EXHAUST
https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZT8rPqSSD/

FINISH AND TEST RUN
https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZT8rPyw9k/

Last edited by Dtex; 10-09-2023 at 12:31 PM.
The following users liked this post:
tcora (10-10-2023)
Old 10-09-2023, 04:12 PM
elgy
Rennlist Member

Received 107 Likes on 88 Posts

After some months I finally got my car back on the road. Replaced Bank 1 cam actuator, the bottom cam chain guide had worn through and broke off. Here are some videos if interested. http://www.tiktok.com/t/ZT8rPfBrg/

EXHAUST
https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZT8rPqSSD/

FINISH AND TEST RUN
https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZT8rPyw9k/
Good job! I like your videos, short and to the point.
For the exhaust bolts, I like to saw them off and replace with stainless steel fasteners... because I know I will be back in there some day.

Quick Reply: 2000 986 2.7 engine service manual