Sponsored by:

No start and losing my mind

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2022, 07:34 PM
Confused Turtle
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default No start and losing my mind

I have been working on this 99 Boxster for a while now. I finally got the motor back in but having issues trying to get it started. It at first wouldnt even try to turn over. I jumped the starter relay and it would attempt to start. Then found that it had no fuel pressure so i jumped the fuel pump and I got fuel pressure. I then replaced both relays but still will not do anything unless they are both jumped. I've also notice im not getting anymore movement from the tach or the spedometer when I try to start it.

I'm not sure where to go from here. I have some ideas. Does anyone have any idea where i should start with figuring out why I need to jump all these relays just to get it to attempt to try and start?
Old 07-25-2022, 07:43 AM
Dllrd23
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Confused Turtle
I have been working on this 99 Boxster for a while now. I finally got the motor back in but having issues trying to get it started. It at first wouldnt even try to turn over. I jumped the starter relay and it would attempt to start. Then found that it had no fuel pressure so i jumped the fuel pump and I got fuel pressure. I then replaced both relays but still will not do anything unless they are both jumped. I've also notice im not getting anymore movement from the tach or the spedometer when I try to start it.

I'm not sure where to go from here. I have some ideas. Does anyone have any idea where i should start with figuring out why I need to jump all these relays just to get it to attempt to try and start?
when you say you are jumping the relays are you using power from the control side to jump or are you applying power from an outside source? Do you have power on the control side too if so? If not (and you probably have already done this) check the fuses that power the control side. If you have power on the control side then look in to what provides the ground on the control side for those relays. Probably the computer after seeing ign switch input. Give some more details about the car 99 Boxster. I assume 2.5l engine. Std or auto? Any mods? Does everything else seem to work?
Old 07-25-2022, 07:52 AM
Starter986
Pro

Received 91 Likes on 85 Posts

I may stand corrected... but from what I've read upon the forums... if the RPM guage isn't moving that points to a bad crank position sensor. Best wishes on the outcome.
Old 07-25-2022, 01:04 PM
Confused Turtle
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dllrd23
when you say you are jumping the relays are you using power from the control side to jump or are you applying power from an outside source? Do you have power on the control side too if so? If not (and you probably have already done this) check the fuses that power the control side. If you have power on the control side then look in to what provides the ground on the control side for those relays. Probably the computer after seeing ign switch input. Give some more details about the car 99 Boxster. I assume 2.5l engine. Std or auto? Any mods? Does everything else seem to work?
I am using it from the control side and jumping it that way. It is a 2.5 and it's manual. No mods aside from the stereo but I disconnected all of that when the issue started. I did also notice that I'm having a few other issues. Like the windows are not refusing to move and the key will only lock the car and won't unlock it.
Old 07-25-2022, 01:05 PM
Confused Turtle
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Starter986
I may stand corrected... but from what I've read upon the forums... if the RPM guage isn't moving that points to a bad crank position sensor. Best wishes on the outcome.
I also thought the same thing so I pulled a CPS from another vehicle and there are no changes.
Old 07-25-2022, 04:16 PM
Confused Turtle
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dllrd23
Update on this, I had a porsche code reader plugged into the OBD port and found that it wasnt reading the immobilizer, i checked the fuse and the connections to it and both seem to be fine. Is there another fuse that runs to the immobilizer that i can check or a pin test to see if its gettign any voltage?
Old 07-25-2022, 05:39 PM
Dllrd23
Instructor

Update on this, I had a porsche code reader plugged into the OBD port and found that it wasnt reading the immobilizer, i checked the fuse and the connections to it and both seem to be fine. Is there another fuse that runs to the immobilizer that i can check or a pin test to see if its gettign any voltage?
according to my diagram check e1, b8, f5, and c3
e1 is hot in off, acc, run, or start
b8 is hot in run or start
f5 is located in the current distribution block and hot all times
c3 is hot all times

did you swap the ecm?

current distribution block is in passenger footwell on the luggage compartment wall.
Old 07-25-2022, 05:52 PM
Dllrd23
Instructor

What codes related to the immobilizer did you get?
Old 07-26-2022, 01:55 AM
pilot4fn
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Did you check the fuse at the side of the actual immobilizer as well? I have a 2001 Boxster and it has one fuse also at the exterior outside wall of the immobilizer it self.
Old 07-27-2022, 11:12 PM
TheAdoptedGuy
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking to buy a 1998 boxster as my first Porsche and it’s having the same issue. Electronics start but won’t even try to start or bump the engine. Has this weird buzzing noise. Had some water in the front with the battery. Has 27,800 miles. Just messaging so I can get some ideas before I buy this and if y’all come up with an idea.
Old 07-31-2022, 09:40 PM
NuttyProfessor
Three Wheelin'

Received 218 Likes on 162 Posts

I have friends that have owned Boxsters and they've experienced flooding that killed the module under the seat. Does this happen to be a flood car? Have you tried getting a dealership to test security system? Some people have also noted great success working with independent locksmiths that have Porsche diagnostic systems. Seems like that would be a good first start.
Old 08-01-2022, 03:59 PM
mikefocke
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 71 Posts

Water up front under the hood where the battery is mounted fairly high? If that happened, how was the rest of the car and every electrical connection not also flooded?

Given what you have said, that car is good as a parts car perhaps if you have the time, space and skills to strip it. A flooded car is often long term trouble as you trouble all the connections that go bad over time.
Old 08-02-2022, 07:11 AM
tcora
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by TheAdoptedGuy
Looking to buy a 1998 boxster as my first Porsche and it’s having the same issue. Electronics start but won’t even try to start or bump the engine. Has this weird buzzing noise. Had some water in the front with the battery. Has 27,800 miles. Just messaging so I can get some ideas before I buy this and if y’all come up with an idea.
24 year old car, clearly not driven much, that won’t start. Ask the seller to put a new battery in it. If that solves the problem, maybe you’re OK. If that doesn’t, keep looking. It’s not like Boxsters are rare.

Quick Reply: No start and losing my mind