Notices

scca stock class becoming street class!

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2015, 05:35 PM
knfeparty
Race Car

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

I plan on going to Nationals every year from here on out if I can. I like to tag along with my Duke classmate Christopher Lin. He's been wanting me to codrive his MR2, but it had problems last year. My tentative plan for this year is to drive it with him, but it would be great to meet up and battle it out with our 996s sometime. What part of the country are you in? The Dixie tour is the only big event remotely close to me.
Old 01-13-2015, 06:28 PM
cretinx
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm in Rochester, NY. My goal is to run at nationals in 2016. We should plan to meet there. Maybe our cars will even be properly classed by then.

Still trying to figure out which option codes I'll get protested for . . . . I already have M220 and M030

. . . . I certainly can't run X74 suspension but I think I can get away with 413 or 416 (18x8.5/18x11 wheels).

As for seats . . . XSE/XSF (buckets); XSG (racing buckets); 990 (cloth); 375/376 (sport) are all up in the air. The Elephant Ears save about 50 lbs from the car . . . . .

There's also XSN - rear seat delete.

Other than that, probably some Koni Yellers and a custom exhaust (lost 33 lbs from my RX-8 going custom) and game on . . .
Old 01-14-2015, 10:57 AM
balefire
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by cretinx
I'm in Rochester, NY. My goal is to run at nationals in 2016. We should plan to meet there. Maybe our cars will even be properly classed by then.

Still trying to figure out which option codes I'll get protested for . . . . I already have M220 and M030

. . . . I certainly can't run X74 suspension but I think I can get away with 413 or 416 (18x8.5/18x11 wheels).

As for seats . . . XSE/XSF (buckets); XSG (racing buckets); 990 (cloth); 375/376 (sport) are all up in the air. The Elephant Ears save about 50 lbs from the car . . . . .

There's also XSN - rear seat delete.

Other than that, probably some Koni Yellers and a custom exhaust (lost 33 lbs from my RX-8 going custom) and game on . . .
Do you have a MY99 C2?
I would love to run 8.5 and 11 wheels but it was not in the order guide for my 40th.
Do you have any documentation that we could run the wider wheels from the factory?
Old 01-14-2015, 12:11 PM
cretinx
Racer

Originally Posted by balefire
Do you have a MY99 C2?
I would love to run 8.5 and 11 wheels but it was not in the order guide for my 40th.
Do you have any documentation that we could run the wider wheels from the factory?
https://www.google.com/search?q=pors...6+option+codes
Old 01-14-2015, 03:59 PM
yeha22
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not sure I'd read 416 as an option for a Carrera. That reads like an option if you already had a GT3 or GT2 package. And I have no idea on the 993 Turbo look wheels or when they were available.

If protested, you can't just say "here's a list of all the options available for a 996". You'd have to prove that the option was available for your model, in the year you own. So I think balefire's question still stands as unanswered.
Old 01-14-2015, 08:10 PM
knfeparty
Race Car

I posted that 40th with the factory rear seat delete and gt3 buckets in this forum awhile back, but it wasn't a US car.

What are "elephant ears?" Is that your nickname for the GT3 buckets? I run mine (I only have a driver's side) at local events, but put the stock seats back in for tour and nationals. The torso belt is my only saving grace. I have the awful "comfort" seats.

The muffler bypass saves a ton of weight, but there is a bit of torque loss. When are we going to see some pictures of your car, cretinx?

Guess I'll see you at an event sometime.
Old 01-15-2015, 12:18 PM
cretinx
Racer

Originally Posted by yeha22
I'm not sure I'd read 416 as an option for a Carrera. That reads like an option if you already had a GT3 or GT2 package. And I have no idea on the 993 Turbo look wheels or when they were available.

If protested, you can't just say "here's a list of all the options available for a 996". You'd have to prove that the option was available for your model, in the year you own. So I think balefire's question still stands as unanswered.
I've actually asked Porsche NA for some help with option codes and they've pretty much ignored me, so as of now I'm stuck with the 996 Companion (http://books.google.com/books/about/...d=RaanuEGHWuwC) along with whatever else I can find on the internet.

Does anyone have any contacts at Porsche so we can really boil this down?

Originally Posted by knfeparty
I posted that 40th with the factory rear seat delete and gt3 buckets in this forum awhile back, but it wasn't a US car.

What are "elephant ears?" Is that your nickname for the GT3 buckets? I run mine (I only have a driver's side) at local events, but put the stock seats back in for tour and nationals. The torso belt is my only saving grace. I have the awful "comfort" seats.

The muffler bypass saves a ton of weight, but there is a bit of torque loss. When are we going to see some pictures of your car, cretinx?

Guess I'll see you at an event sometime.
Elephant Ears are GT3 buckets with the option codes I mentioned above. My seats are pretty beat so I'd really like to replace them with the GT3s, especially if it's legal.

CAR -

My old 996

I've also had a 911SC, 986, 986S, 924, 944S, and a 944 turbo.

My simple 2.7 986 with M030 was my favorite Porsche of all time, but alas, no back seats.

I plan to go to the New Jersey Pro and the Wilmington Pro this year.
Old 01-15-2015, 03:38 PM
knfeparty
Race Car

There's no way the gt3 bucket seats are legal. They weren't avail from the factory in the U.S. even in GT3s. Your car is a beaut. You said 220 option code, so it must be a '99, right? Now I really wanna race you to see the difference my x51 is making
Old 01-15-2015, 03:58 PM
cretinx
Racer

Originally Posted by knfeparty
There's no way the gt3 bucket seats are legal. They weren't avail from the factory in the U.S. even in GT3s. Your car is a beaut. You said 220 option code, so it must be a '99, right? Now I really wanna race you to see the difference my x51 is making
2016 is the year.

My 2015 co-driver owns a 987, so I'm gonna try and convince him to run that in BS next year - we can have Porsche death matches.

The nice thing about the 99s is their light weight - I'm planning to drop as much of that weight as I can (legally). Weight is of course a big factor in autocross, I think more-so than power (hence why I drive a gutless lightweight RX8 rather than a tank of a 350Z).
Old 01-15-2015, 05:08 PM
cretinx
Racer

So I found THIS - http://www.renntech.org/forums/files...tions-listpdf/

They seem to have them for most years . . . . unfortunately I "don't have permission" to download it despite having a registered username . . . .
Old 01-16-2015, 09:06 AM
knfeparty
Race Car

That would be useful. I took the lazy way out and bought the 40th so there wasn't any need to hunt down options. I will say that the 99 I drove awhile back did feel lighter, but I'm a sucker for all the power and noise of the x51. I'm also really glad we can legally do IMS now; I've got the LNE ceramic bearing.

Mine could be lighter with a rear wiper delete and sport seats, but it's not worth the time and effort. Even though we know option codes exist for rear seat delete and GT3 buckets, I'm not holding my breath. SCCA would just disallow it after one season anyways.
Old 01-16-2015, 09:47 AM
SPEEDEM0N
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I found THIS - http://www.renntech.org/forums/files...tions-listpdf/

They seem to have them for most years . . . . unfortunately I "don't have permission" to download it despite having a registered username . . . .
Unfortunately, downloads are only open for contributing members @ Renntech.org.
Old 01-16-2015, 11:04 AM
cretinx
Racer

Well folks, I spent $25 and am now a contributing member, so I have the 99 options list from RennTech.

I also went on eBay and purchased an MY99 order guide so we'll see what that says when it arrives.

So now I've got legit documentation that you can do quite a few things . . .

My first thought - STANDARD PART

Defined as:
An item of standard or optional equipment that could have been ordered
with the car, installed on the factory production line, and delivered through
a dealer in the United States. Port-installed options provided by the manufacturer
are considered to be the same as those installed on the factory
production line. Dealer-installed options or deletions (except as required
by factory directives), no matter how common or what their origin, are not
included in this definition. This definition does not allow the updating or
backdating of parts.
Porsche Exclusive options SEEM to fit this description based on what Porsche says on their website. They are installed at the factory and they are delivered with the car.

http://www.porsche.com/usa/accessori...ces/exclusive/

Tequipment definitely does NOT meet this definition because it's a dealer installed option.

This means X74 suspension may be a reality because it was an Exclusive option.

X51 package is definitely in there - which was apparently available with the '99s - if you feel like spending money on new heads, cams, headers, cats, tune and whatever the hell else was included in the X51. No idea where one would get those parts.

I also believe this includes the rear seat delete option. Could I have ordered, from the factory, rear seat deletes through Exclusive? Yes. Legal in stock. Just cite the proper option code (XSN) and provide the documentation.

I would argue that the race bucket seat option is also included (XSE/XSF) under this definition.

I would also argue that the GT3 Wheel Option (416) is legit - you could have ordered them on the car in 1999 because the Mk.1 GT3 was available in 1999. The GT3 itself was not available in America in 1999 but the wheels were available through the order guide on American cars, and installed on the factory assembly line.

KEEP IN MIND - here's the burden of proof on protests:

The entrant of a protested vehicle has the burden of proving that the vehicle
conforms to these rules by the required documentation according to
the class of the vehicle, and must present the required documentation to
the PC at the time that the protest is heard, or else be disqualified.
If the required documentation does not include sufficient information on a protested item or specification, the burden shifts to the protestor to prove
the equipment or specification illegal.
So worst case scenario, you show up with legit documentation and they STILL say you're wrong, the burden now shifts on the protestor to actually prove what you have is illegal. So, they have to prove a negative . . . . not that it matters because we're just gonna get our asses kicked in AS by the Z06 and in BS by the C5 (I was actually going to build my second CS Boxster until they got moved to BS . . )

I'll give you guys one guess what I do for a living.
Old 01-16-2015, 11:08 AM
cretinx
Racer

Why am I even sharing my secret evil plans for world domination with you guys?

On a side note - Boxster BS build - 18x8/18x10 (no question these are legal), custom lightweight exhaust, m030 springs on konis, beast-mode rear bar . . . . might be able to give the C5s a run for their money on a tight course.

Another thought that is kind of insane - with the wheel size allowances a Boxster 2.5 which came with 16s you could run 15" wheels . . . . . monster gearing bump if you get creative on tire sizing. Brake clearance is the main issue.
Old 01-16-2015, 11:19 AM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

So now I've got legit documentation that you can do quite a few things . . .

My first thought - STANDARD PART

Defined as:

Porsche Exclusive options SEEM to fit this description based on what Porsche says on their website. They are installed at the factory and they are delivered with the car.
Not to be coy, but do you have PROOF that these options are installed at the factory and not at the dealership? I don't think you'll have any protest issues regarding suspension options, but wheels have been a contentious issue and despite a lot of circumstantial evidence (including Porsche promotional photos of a ceremony at the factory with a Cayman in the background with optional wheels), we're still lacking that hard proof that would satisfy all doubters.

Quick Reply: scca stock class becoming street class!