The In-Car Video Thread - 2010

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 11:02 AM
genikz
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The In-Car Video Thread - 2010

I'll kick things off.

March 14, 2010 - Autoclub Speedway, lot 12, Fontana, California with PCA-OCR. I'm on nearly full-tread 205/50/15 RA1's, so the lap was a little less than perfect.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_UfHqWj1DU
Old 03-22-2010, 10:02 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

I took some in-car video; I like to use it to try to see where I'm slow so I can improve.

Here's a youtube mashup of my 3rd (camera facing me) and 4th runs (camera facing forward) overlaid. Any critiques? I know I'm leaving 5 seconds out there somewhere, and tires are only 2 of them.
http://youtubedoubler.com/?video1=ht...uthorName=Real
Old 03-31-2010, 04:52 PM
00r101
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First SCCA events at Hershey Park in Hershey PA. In car shot with a Panasonc Lumix ZS3 still camera in 720p movie mode. Edited using Sony Vegas to compare two different runs by my co-driver and I.
http://vimeo.com/10549343

If you like the size of the lot and are near us, please consider signing up for one of the upcoming PCA events April 18th and April 25th. We'd love to have you.
Old 03-31-2010, 05:11 PM
00r101
Racer

Originally Posted by sjfehr
I took some in-car video; I like to use it to try to see where I'm slow so I can improve.

Here's a youtube mashup of my 3rd (camera facing me) and 4th runs (camera facing forward) overlaid. Any critiques? I know I'm leaving 5 seconds out there somewhere, and tires are only 2 of them.
http://youtubedoubler.com/?video1=ht...uthorName=Real
First off, nice driving, nice video and i really like the youtube doubler. It is very cool.

You asked for some constructive criticism so here goes. Looks like you are a little far away from many of the apex cones. That means you are traveling extra distance. Examples are at the 13, 20, 24, 27, 45, 57 second marks.

Probably the place that hurt you the most was at 13 - the entrance to the slalom. By going wide there you really compromised the slalom speed.

Moving your arms seems to move your shoulders a lot. Maybe your seat needs to go forward or your seatback needs to be more erect. When your shoulders move and your body twists its bringing your chin down which prevents you from looking ahead. Overall I like to get myself positioned so that with my shoulders firmly against the seat back I can rest both wrists on the top center of the wheel. Looks like you are about 3 inches firther away than I would like.

That lot looks like big fun. I need to get down there someday.

Regards,
Alan
Old 04-04-2010, 12:02 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Thanks for your comments! I'll try moving the seat and see if that helps Entering the slalom was my fault; I was coming in too hot and pushing and screwed it up on every run. I did plan to be much closer.

Now that you mention it, I see what you mean about the apexes- that's probably at least a second right there- if it's a matter of tightening my lines, that's an easy fix, right? I didn't even notice I was doing it. I had a faster driver drive my car during fun runs afterwards and he drove a completely different line and driving style; ended up virtually the same times as me, but that was the first time he'd ever driven my car, too. The timer batteries died right after that, so I unfortunately didn't get to see if driving his lines improved my time at all, but they sure were fun lines to drive (very heavy on oversteer).

ACU4 is a terrific venue! We're hosting the Virginia Autocross Championship this year (August 14 & 15), which would be a good excuse to make the trip down. It's about 5.5 hours from Harrisburg.

Last edited by sjfehr; 04-04-2010 at 01:42 PM.
Old 04-11-2010, 09:23 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Originally Posted by 00r101
Moving your arms seems to move your shoulders a lot. Maybe your seat needs to go forward or your seatback needs to be more erect. When your shoulders move and your body twists its bringing your chin down which prevents you from looking ahead. Overall I like to get myself positioned so that with my shoulders firmly against the seat back I can rest both wrists on the top center of the wheel. Looks like you are about 3 inches firther away than I would like.
Had another local autocross today- this one at Pungo, an old WWII airfield with terrible concrete. It's no ACU4, but still fun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mL_B7xn349g

I moved my seat about 2" closer; felt good, but I couldn't really tell the difference when I was driving, but it may have contributed- I'll have to play a little more with it. I think I did better today at picking lines, too, but I can see several spots in the video I could have done better. My times were very good- won street tire class, and actually placed 3rd overall pax which is my best ever finish. I even beat Bobby Smith in pax, but he's been racing a new 914 this year that's not fully sorted out. He (and several other good drivers in our club, most of whom weren't here today) usually crush me, so I'll take what I can get
Old 04-13-2010, 11:30 PM
genikz
Three Wheelin'

That looked very clean! Nice and tight on apexes, and good job holding as much speed as possible through that long right-hand sweeper before the back stretch slalom, while still slowing enough for a good entry to the slalom. That run looked much "tighter" than the previous video you posted
Old 04-14-2010, 12:14 PM
PedalFaster
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Not a Porsche, but what the heck: San Diego National Tour.
Old 04-15-2010, 07:30 AM
00r101
Racer

Ahhh Pungo. One of the first AX I ever did and the first one on R tires. Fall of '99. I drove over 300 miles eahc way and paid for an expensive hotel room for a 1 day event on that little lot. I was really an autocrossin' fool back then :-)
Old 04-16-2010, 07:45 AM
hottunedcars
AutoX

great videos, i would love to drive one of these cars someday. Please post more
Old 04-19-2010, 12:54 AM
Evan Fullerton
Instructor

Mine from today with PCA OCR.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4svGyJ-7EEw
Old 04-20-2010, 12:08 AM
genikz
Three Wheelin'

Same course as Evan, just a bit slower

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q81gj_vMBgY
Old 04-20-2010, 03:34 AM
PedalFaster
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

El Toro Pro Solo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CosTZy6i40I
Old 04-25-2010, 08:44 PM
cohare
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Ok I will embarass myself and post this. I did win the class at least... It was cold and wet out there today!

Old 05-03-2010, 08:31 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Originally Posted by 00r101
Ahhh Pungo. One of the first AX I ever did and the first one on R tires. Fall of '99. I drove over 300 miles eahc way and paid for an expensive hotel room for a 1 day event on that little lot. I was really an autocrossin' fool back then :-)
Wow, yeah, Pungo is not worth a 300 mile drive, and certainly not a good place to first run r-comps. I am very tempted by the SCCA NE Regionals this year, though, which would be a 200 mile trip for me. Will there be a street tire class?

Had another race at Pungo yesterday. I'm embarrassed (though somewhat proud) to say, my wife very nearly beat me in my own car. She's greatly improved! She had me beat until my 4th and final run where I finally pulled out a good clean time (unlike my first run which was fast, but took out a finish cone). Man, I was sweating bullets; neither she nor anyone else in the club will let me live it down when she finally starts besting me. I managed to top street tire class, at least, but I'm still a bit disappointed at my overall finish; was kept out of the top 10 by 0.001s . Mentally subtracting two seconds and pretending I can afford Hoosiers just isn't the same as actually getting those fast times time.

My wife-beating 4th run (she's at T&S saying "dammit" when I pull up):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szXx5w2hJiM

Quick Reply: The In-Car Video Thread - 2010