Notices
Audio and Video Forum The place to discuss auto and home audio, home theater etc.
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Musicar

Which are the best speakers you have ever heard?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 01:58 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,102 Likes on 1,261 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
Have you guys ever though about researching what the recording engineers and mastering engineers are using? After all these are the speakers that your music you listen to was created on.
Actually yes,

Although most studio gear is just that and is not the best for a home environment. These speakers are designed with a specific purpose and a room tailored to their application.

Adam that I had mentioned supplies a large amount of speakers for the studio, film studio and theater applications. So do companies like dynaudio and others.

I have been told Stephen Spielberg uses the ADAM speakers in his studios and home applications. Although I have no proof of it.
Old 01-30-2011, 03:59 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sig_a
The D44000 was the only JBL produced Paragon. JBL did produce other large cabinet horn loaded speaker systems with similar sounding names like Metregon and Minigon, but no other Paragon. This may be what you are thinking.

As for your imagined lack of "good sound" remark, coupled with the fact that you admit to having "never heard the D44000", doesn't make any sense.

My question is how does yesterday's Paragon stand up to today's JBL DD66000?
I made an educated guess based on designing loudspeakers for 20 + yrs,

Here's that other version .. mini me ...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=537zAcbymT0&NR=1

I would wager the DD66000 the winner in that one ......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWi8O...eature=related

Have you guys ever though about researching what the recording engineers and mastering engineers are using? After all these are the speakers that your music you listen to was created on.
I have mike , sold some to them for years 1 % of the engineers are very good, the other's have painted on ears and follow the leaders IMO, give them 2 much resolution and they go scared ...

Last edited by A.Wayne; 01-31-2011 at 02:39 AM.
Old 01-30-2011, 11:29 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

you can build the best recording studio money can buy by going, Korg EVERYTHING, Mark Levinson, Audio Resesarch, Jeff Rowland, McIntosh, VA, Accuphase, B & W, JBL, Krell Audo Standard, Marshall, Fender, Cerwin Vega, Hammond, Yamaha, Peavy, Neumann, Electrovoice, Ampeg, Sony... add the musician's favorite personal gear....

additional high end gear and other honorable mentions..... Linn, MBL, AKG, Royer, Shure, and other esoterics...... for cheap home studio, i love the Sunfire and Audio Research stuff because there's so much bang for the buck, JBL, and Cerwin Vega, and Seas, because you can source their drivers to build your own studio monitors or just go with reconditioned B & W crates.... add your Marshall, Peavy, Ampeg or Fender amps, Korg or Sony digital processors, used Korg mixers and recorders, Neumann mics and you're home.
Old 01-30-2011, 11:42 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

The industry is driven differently , sell 20 million records mixing on Bat**** 2 ways and see the industry go crazy come Monday ..

Worked well for Yamaha for years ....
Old 01-31-2011, 02:19 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.

unfortunately, true.

JBL used to make a mindboggling 8" full range driver for exotic, recording studio crates... it's a four digit catalog number i believe starting with the number 8. each about 400 dollars and weighing about 14 pounds. surely, one of the missing links to building an incredibly loud but clean sounding studio monitor as all your horns, woodwinds, voice and guitar solos come to life - almost to the point of disbelief.... (think of a happy range from Yes, or Emerson Lake and Palmer all the way up to Eddie Van Halen's screaming guitar)... this driver would set right between a 10" midbass driver and your 4"~4.5" high midrange driver/tweeter 4-way system in a proper cabinet.

what would be a proper cabinet ? i would want a tall cylinder or pyramid about 5 feet tall with a short pedestal and very small cabinet resting on top. large thick cardboard concrete cylinder molds could also be used in the base molds for sturdy reinforced fibreboard with an epoxy outer skin.

such an enclosure would present a challenge.... i'd have two more cylinders set in the horizontal to hold the drivers... once i got frustrated, i'd settle on pyramids, and fill the insides with very compact layers of insulation and irregular shaped pieces of bamboo, small scrap pieces of wood/plywood or brazilnuts stuffed firmly in there.

matching the drivers and building good crossovers wouldn't be too hard with proper testing equipment.

Last edited by odurandina; 01-31-2011 at 12:46 PM.
Old 01-31-2011, 02:22 AM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

I bet more mixes are done using cheap aurotones ....

I prefer no cabinets well only for the bass, sub/bass, Type of cabinet and materials used will depend on application IMO.

Funny yeas ago we did experiments with different materials and found wood was the best choice, there is a natural timbre to wood that most associate with music, alloys, concrete , marble etc , changes the tone and has a different presentation most did not like. My current choice is still MDF/HDF for cabinets or Layered plywood, the internal bracing is also very important.

Matching drivers and x-overs is the hardest part of designing, very few get it right IMO, matching drivers with the correct acoustic center right can be very tricky, then you have power induced distortion , this is where driver tone changes vs SPL, but ahhh, too deep now , people are listening to Horn speakers in there homes from 9 ft away , the acoustic centers are so far apart it's not even worth mentioning and they love it.

It's audio .. enjoy your poison ....
Old 01-31-2011, 02:33 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

hollowing out a tree trunk into a conical shape about 4 and a half to 5 feet tall, with a short pedastal above and almost no cabinet at all up there for the midrange and tweeter has always been something i've wanted to do.

but never set aside the time.....
Old 01-31-2011, 03:02 AM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Old 02-01-2011, 12:47 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

this is not a laughing matter. i suck at hollowing out **** using chain saws.
Old 02-01-2011, 09:37 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

A lot of yall's music was probably mixed on NS10's!
Old 02-01-2011, 09:49 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Originally Posted by A.Wayne
I have mike , sold some to them for years 1 % of the engineers are very good, the other's have painted on ears and follow the leaders IMO, give them 2 much resolution and they go scared ...
As a drummer I do understand that. Recording and live engineers both! Oh then there is a producer I have to deal with and his ideas on what my drums should sound like. But if it is not my project, then I play and sound like they want me to play and sound.
Old 02-01-2011, 11:10 AM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

OD, did you say Peavey makes good sounding speakers? I always ranked those as garage band sound quality but they are probably the best workhorse equipment manufacturer for the garage band.
Old 02-01-2011, 11:34 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Originally Posted by Tippy
OD, did you say Peavey makes good sounding speakers? I always ranked those as garage band sound quality but they are probably the best workhorse equipment manufacturer for the garage band.
Peavey makes some very nice front of house speakers. There PA speakers today are not what you are thinking about with Peavey from the 70's and 80's.
Old 02-01-2011, 01:14 PM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Peavey makes some very nice front of house speakers. There PA speakers today are not what you are thinking about with Peavey from the 70's and 80's.
Wow, I would have never known. I have not seen anything other than combos and PA's from them.

I am in no way dissing Peavey (I think they are great for a garage bands and light gigging!) but I always put them in the low sound grade department.

Interesting.
Old 02-01-2011, 02:15 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

okay, a lathe capable of shaping a sequoia. we're in business.
now just a pyramid bit at "size" leaving a four-inch thick walled cabinet with zero seams and a 14" diameter bottom.

http://www.peter-andres.com/www_root...kord&Nummer=0#

Quick Reply: Which are the best speakers you have ever heard?