Notices
Audio and Video Forum The place to discuss auto and home audio, home theater etc.
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Musicar

Which are the best speakers you have ever heard?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2011, 03:52 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,949 Likes on 1,180 Posts

Well I just got back from listening to the new JBL Array 1400. http://www.stereophile.com/floorloud...bg_loudspeaker

When I first heard JBL I was turned off but as much as I loved the sound of the Adams these things are amazing. With a frequency response from 8 to 40KHz, the bass kicked in, all I could do is laugh with a 14" woofer and this new vertical aligned horn these have to be the best speakers I have ever heard. Best part is they are highly efficient at 93db have a really unique look and affordable as High end speakers go. For a $12k buy in price if you have the money this is the only way to go at any price.
Old 07-09-2011, 05:19 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting and thanks for the update ...!

Actual sensitivity is 89db/w/m and the Bass will sound powerful considering it's a full 5 db louder than it's 1 K reference . I'm a bit skeptical about horns in a domestic environment where poor time alignment and there phase " y" sound create unpleasantness when sitting close to the, they don't work for me and everyone i have ever heard does this ..

The best are full horns systems ( conical ) of course i would give this JBL a listen to hear what's different if any and with current advancement in software and Sims , can horns become a game changer again ...

The lower sensitivity is not so out of wack also , since it appears the speaker had good balance across the mid/highs , it has been my experience that high sensitivity speakers ( 98+ ) are very unbalanced sounding, you will lose some sensitivity when matching and or designing for good spatial balance ...
Old 07-09-2011, 06:32 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
Well I just got back from listening to the new JBL Array 1400. http://www.stereophile.com/floorloud...bg_loudspeaker

When I first heard JBL I was turned off but as much as I loved the sound of the Adams these things are amazing. With a frequency response from 8 to 40KHz, the bass kicked in, all I could do is laugh with a 14" woofer and this new vertical aligned horn these have to be the best speakers I have ever heard. Best part is they are highly efficient at 93db have a really unique look and affordable as High end speakers go. For a $12k buy in price if you have the money this is the only way to go at any price.
I can't believe that the JBL sound engineer on these is named Greg TIMBER. LOL.

I'd put my money on Bowers&Wilkins Matrix 802s myself.
Old 07-11-2011, 11:22 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by A.Wayne
Interesting and thanks for the update ...!

Actual sensitivity is 89db/w/m and the Bass will sound powerful considering it's a full 5 db louder than it's 1 K reference . I'm a bit skeptical about horns in a domestic environment where poor time alignment and there phase " y" sound create unpleasantness when sitting close to the, they don't work for me and everyone i have ever heard does this ..

The best are full horns systems ( conical ) of course i would give this JBL a listen to hear what's different if any and with current advancement in software and Sims , can horns become a game changer again ...

The lower sensitivity is not so out of wack also , since it appears the speaker had good balance across the mid/highs , it has been my experience that high sensitivity speakers ( 98+ ) are very unbalanced sounding, you will lose some sensitivity when matching and or designing for good spatial balance ...
Well I have to agree that I felt the same way before the audition. I have never been a fan of horns and sat down expecting disappointment however, I was incredibly surprised. The vertical horn alignment eliminated the unpleasantness I normally associate with a horn speaker. JBL rates them at 93db Stereophile claims they only achieved 89db. I tend to believe JBL in this case.

I have to admit although my preconceptions told me these would suck I was proven wrong. The entire audition was done using 16 bit recording so I have yet to hear any vinyl on them which I feel will prove exceptional. I will need many more hours of listening before I pull the plug on these but they are worth considering as my next upgrade. Apparently it took them a long time to get the horns to work in vertical alignment and whatever R&D they did it was enough to get them Best of show for their top of the line model at the Rocky Mountain Audio Fest in 2010 and from what I have been told these come quite close for a sixth the price and half the size.

The bass roll off was as realistic as I have heard from any speaker and is something I normally only experience from speakers costing 6 to 10 times as much, the imaging was outstanding. Dynamic range was all there. They were not harsh or bright as I would have expected and handle a variety of placements well. These seemed to work best from about 12 feet back which is ideal for my listening room.

I highly recommend a listen if you can find a dealer.

Originally Posted by NinetyOneC2
I can't believe that the JBL sound engineer on these is named Greg TIMBER. LOL.

I'd put my money on Bowers&Wilkins Matrix 802s myself.
Sorry as much as the B&W's are a nice speaker and were a big name for a long time even the considerably more expense 802 diamonds IMO don't offer what these or the Adams do for quite a bit less $$. I would place both far ahead of the 802's in value, overall sound and imaging. Although I need to spend more time to really feel these JBL's out they do have a sound that IMO should come from speakers costing more than double possibly triple their asking price.
Old 07-11-2011, 02:01 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 87 Posts

Sorry as much as the B&W's are a nice speaker and were a big name for a long time even the considerably more expense 802 diamonds IMO don't offer what these or the Adams do for quite a bit less $$. I would place both far ahead of the 802's in value, overall sound and imaging. Although I need to spend more time to really feel these JBL's out they do have a sound that IMO should come from speakers costing more than double possibly triple their asking price.
I'm not an expert by any means...I just remember the first time I heard a set of 802s and it was magic. I'm sure there are better speakers and better value...
Old 07-11-2011, 02:55 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Not sure why a lot of you would not believe in JBL. JBL has the experience and builds top of the line speakers in both professional markets and consumer markets.

There is simply a lot of speakers on the market that faithfully reproduce music that both cost a fortune and are not all that expensive. Keep in mind....what was the studio engineer using for speakers and what was the mastering engineer using to master the recording you are listening too?...think about it!
Old 07-11-2011, 03:26 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mdrums
Not sure why a lot of you would not believe in JBL. JBL has the experience and builds top of the line speakers in both professional markets and consumer markets.

There is simply a lot of speakers on the market that faithfully reproduce music that both cost a fortune and are not all that expensive. Keep in mind....what was the studio engineer using for speakers and what was the mastering engineer using to master the recording you are listening too?...think about it!
Maybe because JBL made a lot of home consumer crap over the years. They have definitely made a major stride with these.
Old 07-11-2011, 04:21 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mdrums

Experience Yes .... Corporate culture .......No ....
Old 07-11-2011, 08:06 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Maybe because JBL made a lot of home consumer crap over the years. They have definitely made a major stride with these.
Yes JBL has had and still has some junk in the low end consumer market but there high end and pro level products have always been good.
Old 08-16-2011, 10:18 PM
Norra Norra
Banned

This isn't the best system I've heard, but a fantastic all arounder that I've had for the past 10 years without any upgraditis- Dynaudio 1.8 mkII. Mate with Krell/Sim Audio/Bryston, pretty much any good solid state amplification and enjoy for life. I've had a number of amps in and out but the speakers stay every time.
Old 08-17-2011, 07:10 PM
Randy V
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

I heard some nice speakers at Radio Shack the other day.
Old 08-19-2011, 02:32 PM
LT Texan
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Best Forum EVAR!
Old 08-22-2011, 05:13 PM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

JBl makes great band systems but for living area, not a fan, not even the Array 1400, the highs are just too harsh, and do not know any instrument that sounds like the JBL reproduce on the highs. I just heard Bostons 336, and for the proce, i was taken back. If you are econmy shopping you need to give these a listen. I personaly like Vandersteen 5a's or Quatro's, currently like Martin Logan Sumit X.

Just goes to show you, speaker selection is based on personel audio preferences.
Old 08-23-2011, 10:55 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Kevinmacd
JBl makes great band systems but for living area, not a fan, not even the Array 1400, the highs are just too harsh, and do not know any instrument that sounds like the JBL reproduce on the highs. I just heard Bostons 336, and for the proce, i was taken back. If you are econmy shopping you need to give these a listen. I personaly like Vandersteen 5a's or Quatro's, currently like Martin Logan Sumit X.

Just goes to show you, speaker selection is based on personel audio preferences.

Interesting. I found the vandies to sound less realistic to me although a good all around speaker I have never been a fan of his designs and feel they lack the transparency of these other speakers . I did not find the JBL's to sound harsh initially in the high end but the room, placement and equipment used can make a huge difference. When I had them switch over to the accuphase amps which is what i would be using I did find them, to be a bit more brash than my first impression.

I have decided to wait for the redesign of the ADAM speakers which I still find very hard to match at the $10k level if they just weren't so darn ugly I would have them now.
Old 08-23-2011, 02:37 PM
MDeBoard
Track Day

Interesting. I found the vandies to sound less realistic to me although a good all around speaker I have never been a fan of his designs and feel they lack the transparency of these other speakers . I did not find the JBL's to sound harsh initially in the high end but the room, placement and equipment used can make a huge difference. When I had them switch over to the accuphase amps which is what i would be using I did find them, to be a bit more brash than my first impression.

I have decided to wait for the redesign of the ADAM speakers which I still find very hard to match at the $10k level if they just weren't so darn ugly I would have them now.
I'm just curious as to what you mean by "less realistic." I've owned lots of different speakers including Magnepan's, Martin Logan's, B&W Nautilus, PSB's, and quite a few more. I've found the Vandersteen 5A's to be the most natural sounding speaker I've ever owned. I'd be curious to hear what you mean. I'm not debating you, I'm just wondering.

Quick Reply: Which are the best speakers you have ever heard?