Notices
Audio and Video Forum The place to discuss auto and home audio, home theater etc.
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Musicar

Which are the best speakers you have ever heard?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2010 | 07:20 PM
FT_Factorytuned
Intermediate

Interesting thread, I really should get out more! Magico's? Wow! Gryphon Atlantis, Mojo's on a budget! Another WOW! Adam Audio is good too. The Delta's are nice, although I'm not an active or hybrid guy but I think they were mentioned. Rockport, let's not forget Rockport. There are some really nice sub 4K speakers that are simply a slap in the face to the 10K plus speaker industry, for small rooms that is.

Cool..
FT
Old 11-16-2010 | 10:44 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Ok,

Just got back from a serious listening of the ADAM Tensor http://www.adam-audio.com/en/home-au...ta/description again. This time using the Shindo tube pre and Classe CT-2300 amp. I have to admit not as good as with the accuphase amp but still one of the best speakers I have heard by far. At $32,000 a pair they are worth every penny and then some. Every type of music is a live experience. I tried to look at the speakers and hear the sound coming from them but no matter what I did you could never tell that music was actually coming from the speakers. By far the most transparent speakers with the most life like sound I can imagine.

We first listened to 23 bit recording using an Esoteric DAC and I was surprised how good it sounded. I am amazed at how far this technology is advancing and I might hate myself in the future for investing so much in Vinyl but for now I will stick with TT. By far better than any CD or SACD I have heard at any price. Then we switched over to the TT. Using the same Transrotor Dark Star table I have I was thoroughly impressed.

I have been told they will be redesigning their speakers to look a lot less like Robbie the Robot and will be introducing a speaker in the $15k range that will sound as good with equal transparency without using both front and rear woofers. Should make it easier to use with less need to tailor the room to the speaker.

In either case I don't know of anything at near this price that sounds so superb. Listening to Neil Young I actually wanted to start a conversation with him it sounded so perfect.
Old 11-16-2010 | 11:11 PM
V225
Racer

After going through B&W601 S3's, then to Focal JM_Labs Electra 928's, and after sampling many speakers from B&W(802's), Dynaudio, Focal and Magnepan I ended up with Martin Logan SL3's. I don't think I'm ever going back to coned speakers.

The Electras actually gave me headaches after prolonged listening, they were just too bright for me. The SL3's are the smoothest, easiest speakers to listen to that I have ever heard. The soundstage is insane and imaging is crystal clear.

I won't say these are the best speakers I've heard though, because I listened to some Summit X's, and they are even more airy than the SL3's, but really kick butt in the bass. the SL3 is seriously lacking on the low end for me. So right now, I'd have to say the Summit X's are the best I've heard. I'll probably move up to those or to CLS IIz's in the future.

Currently the speakers are being driven by a Marsh A400S. Source is flac files on my PC going to a Cambridge Audio DacMagic. No preamp right now. Previously I had a BAT VK-60 which I got rid of after a month. The Electras hated tube power, but that amp might have worked well for the Sl3's.

Edit: I just recently had a chance to listen to some Wilson Audio MAXX's powered by an insane setup, can't remember the specific equipment, but the sum total came out to about 500k of equipment, perfectly setup in a perfect room.... I wasn't very impressed. The soundstage was literally a stage, it was gigantic, but I didn't feel that it was 500k of sound for some reason.
Old 11-17-2010 | 12:09 PM
FT_Factorytuned
Intermediate

Very interesting. I had no idea that RF the Adam rep had these here in the US. When I talked to him, I was well, concerned. Regardless of RF I just cannot see PMW amps, switching power supplies and pre-stage, in the speaker proper, I think now A/B offered as well. This is an overhang from their studio products and another reason I think DB stopped the home line..

Low end is some of the most difficult and critical to reproduce. The amp belongs out of the box away from the drivers. Jitter is jitter no matter discrete or digital. It's akin to a bad suspension setup! I have had conversations with KH at Adam with regard to a fully passive Tensor Line. No go. So I cannot own a pair of these fabulous speakers. Pity. I simply have too much invested in interconnects and amplification.

There are however great speakers out there that all of us can own and enjoy at very good prices. That said, I'm not sure what I will purchase next, but probably the Gryphon Mojo's to match the rest of my setup. I owned Utopia's for a decade, and too much change at Focal led me away.

As stated if you guys get a chance you should hear Adam Classic's or Tensor line, as I wanted to buy a pair of the Tensor Delta's.

Photo is of system I had for about five years. 98-2003. Was very metropolitan, sounded fabulous, ticked all the right boxes, but....

Good stuff!
FT.
Attached Images  
Old 11-17-2010 | 01:32 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FT_Factorytuned
Very interesting. I had no idea that RF the Adam rep had these here in the US. When I talked to him, I was well, concerned. Regardless of RF I just cannot see PMW amps, switching power supplies and pre-stage, in the speaker proper, I think now A/B offered as well. This is an overhang from their studio products and another reason I think DB stopped the home line..

Low end is some of the most difficult and critical to reproduce. The amp belongs out of the box away from the drivers. Jitter is jitter no matter discrete or digital. It's akin to a bad suspension setup! I have had conversations with KH at Adam with regard to a fully passive Tensor Line. No go. So I cannot own a pair of these fabulous speakers. Pity. I simply have too much invested in interconnects and amplification.

There are however great speakers out there that all of us can own and enjoy at very good prices. That said, I'm not sure what I will purchase next, but probably the Gryphon Mojo's to match the rest of my setup. I owned Utopia's for a decade, and too much change at Focal led me away.

As stated if you guys get a chance you should hear Adam Classic's or Tensor line, as I wanted to buy a pair of the Tensor Delta's.

Photo is of system I had for about five years. 98-2003. Was very metropolitan, sounded fabulous, ticked all the right boxes, but....

Good stuff!
FT.
I agree on the internal amps. Although any jitter was far outweighed by their transparency in what we played. I am sure the room has a lot to do with it. Bass was deep and solid. AFAIK my local shop is the only supplier currently in the US. They were able to convince them to supply a few models with only the bass amp and with the isolation of the mid and highs in a separate module I found them extremely transparent. There are very few speakers that I have heard that come close and would take these over most anything however they don't work in my room.

One major draw back are the looks. I am looking forward to seeing what they will be coming up with in their new line. I believe they will be introducing an entire line without amps and fairly efficient. I really like their Accordion design tweeters and mids. I guess we will see what they come up with next.
Old 11-17-2010 | 03:18 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Juan Lopez
Title says it all.

To me, our old Dahlquist DQ 10's, the Genesis towers (electrostats + separate woofer towers), most Martin Logan's, my current Aerial's and some of the old audiophile grade Mirage like my father's M1's.
the speakers i found most to my taste were some cheapo Polk Audio 5jr "bookshelf" speakers.

cheers

Craig
Old 11-17-2010 | 08:55 PM
DrJay
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by V225
The Electras actually gave me headaches after prolonged listening, they were just too bright for me.
IMO, the Electras are very sensitive to the equipment they are paired with. With the right tube gear, they sound amazing. With improper gear, not so amazing.
Old 11-21-2010 | 09:16 AM
apperception
Instructor

I've been at this audiophile thing for more than 30 years. After dozens of upgrades and sidegrades, I have owned a pair of Innersound Eros Mk III's for about seven years. They are hybrid electrostatics with a conventional woofer. They play VERY loud and are the best overall sound I've heard. After attending Roger Waters The Wall performance last Thursday, I cam home and was amazed at how lifelike my system sounds (I also have the Innersound ESL amplifier). Roger Sanders company is now:
www.sanderssoundsystems.com
Larry in Georgia
Old 11-21-2010 | 01:19 PM
J.PELLEGRINO
Addict
Rennlist Member

I too attended the show in Atlanta, as well as the Boston and NYC shows..I think the show is very well done but I am not convinced any system can convey the sonic scale of the performance. I have owned and heard many amazing systems in some extraordinary rooms...I am may be wrong....just another opinion...
Old 11-24-2010 | 12:02 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cobalt
Ok,

Just got back from a serious listening of the ADAM Tensor http://www.adam-audio.com/en/home-au...ta/description again. This time using the Shindo tube pre and Classe CT-2300 amp. I have to admit not as good as with the accuphase amp but still one of the best speakers I have heard by far. At $32,000 a pair they are worth every penny and then some. Every type of music is a live experience. I tried to look at the speakers and hear the sound coming from them but no matter what I did you could never tell that music was actually coming from the speakers. By far the most transparent speakers with the most life like sound I can imagine.

We first listened to 23 bit recording using an Esoteric DAC and I was surprised how good it sounded. I am amazed at how far this technology is advancing and I might hate myself in the future for investing so much in Vinyl but for now I will stick with TT. By far better than any CD or SACD I have heard at any price. Then we switched over to the TT. Using the same Transrotor Dark Star table I have I was thoroughly impressed.

I have been told they will be redesigning their speakers to look a lot less like Robbie the Robot and will be introducing a speaker in the $15k range that will sound as good with equal transparency without using both front and rear woofers. Should make it easier to use with less need to tailor the room to the speaker.

In either case I don't know of anything at near this price that sounds so superb. Listening to Neil Young I actually wanted to start a conversation with him it sounded so perfect.
Had a go at 24/192 a few weeks ago and it is really good. I was also informed that the format is currently dated and the real move is to move away from the CD format. JVC is currently working with 34/346 and this is where most felt the next break in digital will be and should finally put analog to rest .
Old 11-24-2010 | 02:21 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by A.Wayne
Had a go at 24/192 a few weeks ago and it is really good. I was also informed that the format is currently dated and the real move is to move away from the CD format. JVC is currently working with 34/346 and this is where most felt the next break in digital will be and should finally put analog to rest .
Sadly if it gets better than 24/192 I believe you are correct. Although I do appreciate the interaction with vinyl it is hard to argue with sound that good and quiet.

BTW I like the new avatar.
Old 11-29-2010 | 11:31 AM
DrJay
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by A.Wayne
24/192 is really good, I do still prefer the vinyl itself over its 24/192 doppleganger...
Old 12-03-2010 | 07:16 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

just found this thread. awesome! love audio gear and more importantly, music.
alon wolf has been in the game a long time, so magico didn't come outta nowhere. they are well
deserved to be on the list.
best speakers i've ever heard were martin logan vantages driven by a jadis orchestra reference valve integrated and dcs cd player. just beautiful. the room plays a major role also.
Old 12-03-2010 | 07:17 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DrJay
24/192 is really good, I do still prefer the vinyl itself over its 24/192 doppleganger...
vinyl will never die. it's the 911 of the audio world.
Old 01-02-2011 | 05:29 PM
irobertson
Rennlist Member

I have listened to many speakers over the years and have yet to find anything that accurately reproduces recordings like my Meyer HD-1 studio monitors. There was a Genelec that came close, but they just didn't track the low end as well.

http://www.meyersound.com/products/studioseries/hd-1/

Quick Reply: Which are the best speakers you have ever heard?