Notices
Audio and Video Forum The place to discuss auto and home audio, home theater etc.
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Musicar

Which are the best speakers you have ever heard?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2012, 02:19 PM
DrJay
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

I always chuckle when someone states PSB speakers are not inexpensive speakers. Cheap, no. Poorly made, no. Inexpensive, yes. Great speakers, yes. Great value, yes. They certainly play above their price point, but in the audiophile world they are certainly what many consider to be "cheap."
Old 08-20-2012, 12:31 PM
bbinder
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

I picked up a pair of Ohm speakers a few years ago to replace my cherished Celestion 332s -- the sound and imaging (to me) was amazing, and I have never looked back.
Old 08-26-2012, 03:24 PM
atcbi5
Banned

Received 106 Likes on 83 Posts

Focals! Period. I have had JBL's Pro line series, B&W 802's, Magnepan 3.5R, wait BOSE 901(still have them). The Focal Electra series blows them all away. These have the Beryllium IAL inverted dome tweeter
Old 09-09-2012, 11:04 PM
Dr. G
Rennlist Member

Received 1,019 Likes on 520 Posts

I recently moved my "small" system and put together something a little different. I'm now using the Legend Tikandi system which has no internal x-overs. Each driver gets its own channel of amplification and a DEQX processor does the crossing over in the digital domain. I am having the system calibrated on site at the end of the month. Even with remote calibration these speakers rival some big ticket speakers - one reviewer favorably compared them to the YG Anat Reference. I'm using them with two Theta Dreadnaught IIIs, each configured at 4x250W. The EMM XDS1 is still being used as my source.

Along with the on-site calibration, acoustician and Grammy-nominated producer Ken Goerres will be doing some serious work on the room. We're going to add a false wall to bring the room to Golden Ratio proportions as well as move some of the acoustic treatments I already have around. I'll try to take some photos in a few weeks.
Old 09-13-2012, 05:05 PM
Bill_C4S
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Best speakers I've heard...the Rockport Technologies Altair (~$100k/pair)...driven by Spectral Audio amps and front end....in Goodwins large listening room.

Distinctly impressive.
Old 09-14-2012, 06:50 PM
atcbi5
Banned

Received 106 Likes on 83 Posts

Bill Clinton
Old 09-18-2012, 05:19 AM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. G
I recently moved my "small" system and put together something a little different. I'm now using the Legend Tikandi system which has no internal x-overs. Each driver gets its own channel of amplification and a DEQX processor does the crossing over in the digital domain. I am having the system calibrated on site at the end of the month. Even with remote calibration these speakers rival some big ticket speakers - one reviewer favorably compared them to the YG Anat Reference. I'm using them with two Theta Dreadnaught IIIs, each configured at 4x250W. The EMM XDS1 is still being used as my source.

Along with the on-site calibration, acoustician and Grammy-nominated producer Ken Goerres will be doing some serious work on the room. We're going to add a false wall to bring the room to Golden Ratio proportions as well as move some of the acoustic treatments I already have around. I'll try to take some photos in a few weeks.
Sounds interesting , remember to post up pics ....
Old 10-20-2012, 10:20 PM
pdqcarrera
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I didn't know this thread existed til now. As a reformed HiFi addict I've not bought anything for over a decade settling on what I have & sending my disposable income in a different direction (Porsche resto and vintage guitars & amps).

While not the best for all music genres I still enjoy my Thiel CS3.6 speakers for most of my critical listening applications.
Old 10-20-2012, 11:35 PM
mrm 930
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Still enjoying my 26 year old Infinity Gammas with 26 year old tube Audio Research amps and pre-amp.

A friends Wilsons Maxx (?) were absolutely fab.

I also had the old Dahlquist (stacked - 2 pair) with bi-amped Crown system.

Haven't bought audio gear in years - too much into Porsches, also building a ST and RSR. So thats where the money goes.

Mark
Old 10-21-2012, 12:10 AM
Dr. G
Rennlist Member

Well, in typical audiophile fashion I've changed systems. New system uses the Bryston BDP-1 as a digital source into a Theta Casablanca III Hd with extreme DACs. Amp is still the Dreadnaught III and speakers are now Aerial 7t. Cabling is Cardas Clear Light. Sounds very nice.
Old 10-22-2012, 11:59 PM
Arnie1
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also have Infinity Gammas. Had the cones refurbished on the woofers. Use Audio Research SP15 Pre amp and 2 Krell KSA 250s. Still has amazing sound. Problem is there are no replacement parts if the planer drivers go.
Old 10-28-2012, 10:27 PM
Gulliver
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

It's been fascinating (even amusing) reading all the opinions about "the best sounding speakers".

It's a laughable proposition at best, "subjective" would be an understatement.

Still, logically so much would depend on;

1) the source program material; what speaker works for classical music may not work for rock or blues or jazz, etc. What sounds good from vinyl may be harsh from a digital CD, or rubbery from a tape source.

2) the amplification type and output power

3) the Q, VAS and resonant frequencies of the listening environment -the room itself.

4) the playback source (vinyl/tape/cd, etc)

5) the type, length and gauge of all involved cabling

6, 7, 8 etc- the variables are infinite.

Suffice to say I've skied "the slippery slope" of audiophelia as most of you have, and at the end of the day settled on my trusty 3-way JBL Control Monitors with 100 watts or so of clean enough power x 2. After all, most of the old rock I listen to on vinyl was mixed and mastered by Bob Ludwig (or one of his peers of the day) on the very same speakers.

I may have revealed myself as a dinosaur, but at 49 -so are most of my choices in music. I'd rather spend my time (and money) in, on or under my cars. I've enjoyed the thread!
Old 12-05-2012, 07:36 PM
Dan87951
Nordschleife Master

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

I really like the old B&W Signature 800's they sounded so sweet and smooth when I heard them. I like the new diamond line as well but the signature's just seemed more accurate while the siamonds seemed glossed over.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:05 AM
DrJay
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by atcbi5
Focals! Period. I have had JBL's Pro line series, B&W 802's, Magnepan 3.5R, wait BOSE 901(still have them). The Focal Electra series blows them all away. These have the Beryllium IAL inverted dome tweeter
Focals Be series are great speakers. I have been lucky enough to own a few pairs.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:45 AM
Dr. G
Rennlist Member

Agree, focals are damn good. I still belive that dollar for dollar, the Aerial 7t is an amazing box. DrJay - if you're ever in NJ you're more than welcome to stop by and give them a listen. I used to work in high end audio before I became a dentist and you'd have to spend major $$$ to equal the performance of the 7t.

Quick Reply: Which are the best speakers you have ever heard?