Notices
Audio and Video Forum The place to discuss auto and home audio, home theater etc.
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Musicar

Which are the best speakers you have ever heard?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2011 | 01:59 AM
pdemar
Intermediate

Like others, I got hooked on JBL studio monitors and have 4430s in my home theater setup...

http://www.jblpro.com/pub/obsolete/443035.pdf

Old 01-15-2011 | 11:23 AM
M. Schneider
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by pdemar
Like others, I got hooked on JBL studio monitors and have 4430s in my home theater setup...

http://www.jblpro.com/pub/obsolete/443035.pdf

Man,,, JBL Pro 4430's now that's an early 80's memory lane! My 4430s were driven by a big ole UREI amplifier. I had UREI 813 monitors forever. Those were the days....
Old 01-15-2011 | 12:34 PM
DrJay
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by aussie jimmy
vinyl will never die. it's the 911 of the audio world.
I did mention that despite the advances in digital playback, I still prefer vinyl.
Old 01-15-2011 | 12:57 PM
Green Goblin
Pro

I enjoy Maggie's, I have a set of soundlab's which i am enjoying for now. I had some RBH's for a while a little bright for me though but had some great bass response.

Andy
Old 01-15-2011 | 01:17 PM
pdemar
Intermediate

Yeh, dating myself. Grew up hanging around a place called Pacific Stereo in the 70s-80s and really loved the Altec and JBL Pro stuff.

I originally had a set of Altec VoT components in a custom cabinet and bought the last of the 4430s before discontinued in 90s. Drove the 4430s with bi-amp setup using SAE A 301 and a pair of modified Dyna ST-70s via a JBL pro active x-over. Sounded really nice. Now using a Yamaha A/V home theater receiver to drive them and rest of system sounds great for movies.
Old 01-15-2011 | 02:19 PM
Green Goblin
Pro

I think it is a shame that Polk, Infinity and JBL among many others went main stream, that is why i shop for mostly used high end gear. Most of it is very affordable and it last for a long time. I really liked the Polk LS90's, and the RTA line, I had a set of JBL 830t's great speaker drove the hell out of them for years and sold them to a friend. I had a set of Maggie 3A rebuilt those were very sweet sounding also sold those to another friend. Thinking of getting rid of my Soundlabs but everytime i sell i regret it.

Listent to the Wilson Grand Slam's not very impressed with those i expected more specially at that price point. I really enjoyed the Theil 1.2's what a little bad ***.

so sad

Andy
Old 01-15-2011 | 04:16 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

POLK was always main stream and only the JBL "brand name" was taken main stream not actual "JBL" products, there paragon line for eg, was never mainstream.
Old 01-15-2011 | 05:17 PM
Green Goblin
Pro

You dont think JBL products went main stream MMMMMMMM, I disagree. Polk went the same way as the others. I dont really understand what it is that you mean. Splain please.
Old 01-15-2011 | 06:20 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

polk had the man with the lab coat in the ads....scientific sound is always anodyne haha
Old 01-15-2011 | 10:17 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

OK,

I am in love with my Totem Winds again. Just picked up the latest design from Shindo tube pre-amps and suddenly my speakers have lifted into an entirely different category. It is definitely more a product of the whole instead of a piece of the puzzle that makes any system sound this sweet.
Old 01-15-2011 | 10:29 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Green Goblin
You dont think JBL products went main stream MMMMMMMM, I disagree. Polk went the same way as the others. I dont really understand what it is that you mean. Splain please.
Polk was always main stream , always mid-fi.....

JBL became mid-fi after Harmon purchased them and started tacking the name to anything that moved, products that were never manufactured by JBL.

The Products that actually can be identified to JBL never went mainstream for eg, there Paragon line , JBL currently have a 60K speaker based on one of their paragon models from the past , absolutely not main stream.

Old 01-15-2011 | 10:31 PM
Bob in NY
Drifting

polk had the man with the lab coat in the ads....scientific sound is always anodyne haha
The man in the white coat was Mathew Polk..
Old 01-15-2011 | 10:31 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cobalt
OK,

I am in love with my Totem Winds again. Just picked up the latest design from Shindo tube pre-amps and suddenly my speakers have lifted into an entirely different category. It is definitely more a product of the whole instead of a piece of the puzzle that makes any system sound this sweet.
Tube rolling again ? ......
Old 01-16-2011 | 04:22 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

From: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.

vinyl will never die. it's the 911 of the audio world.

then mp3 is the Chevy Monza and old hat cd via krell is Gumpert Apollo land.....

maybe a half-decent Krell 350 cd into a good, Audio Research ls-17 tube preamp, sending into a Krell Master Reference stereo amp, or if you want to save about 95 grand, just a Sunfire sig amp might do ok, into a pair of B & W Nautilus (as soon as the Nautilus running the new diamond tweeters is available, of course).... and some low bass waves sent to none-other than a Krell Master Rerence subwoofer,

krell 350-cd plyer $ 2,500
audio res. LS -17 $ 4,000
krell m. ref amp $100,000
b & w nautilus -- $62,000
krell ma. ref. sub $42,000

total; about $211,000. ought to sound about right....

you can probably get away to the slums and get Bob Carver's sunfire amp. maybe ~ $115 k for all.

Jerry, Mr. Wayne, friends.... may you each have a most pleasant evening.
Old 01-16-2011 | 09:19 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by A.Wayne
Tube rolling again ? ......
Nope
Ken Shindo builds his equipment around a specific tube so no need. He also stocks all the tubes needed. So if he has 90 tubes of one design he will only make 30 units and save the balance of tubes as replacements.

I am incredibly impressed with how much the shindo opened up the system. With a signal to noise ratio of 120db and frequency response of 10-50,000hz it really showed what the accuphase class A amps can do.

Originally Posted by odurandina
then mp3 is the Chevy Monza and old hat cd via krell is Gumpert Apollo land.....

maybe a half-decent Krell 350 cd into a good, Audio Research ls-17 tube preamp, sending into a Krell Master Reference stereo amp, or if you want to save about 95 grand, just a Sunfire sig amp might do ok, into a pair of B & W Nautilus (as soon as the Nautilus running the new diamond tweeters is available, of course).... and some low bass waves sent to none-other than a Krell Master Rerence subwoofer,

krell 350-cd plyer $ 2,500
audio res. LS -17 $ 4,000
krell m. ref amp $100,000
b & w nautilus -- $62,000
krell ma. ref. sub $42,000

total; about $211,000. ought to sound about right....

you can probably get away to the slums and get Bob Carver's sunfire amp. maybe ~ $115 k for all.

Jerry, Mr. Wayne, friends.... may you each have a most pleasant evening.
Nice but no need to spend more than $40k for a top notch system unless you plan on building a dedicated room. Besides I don't see a TT in that price.

Has AR redesigned their Pre's? Last design I looked into was very hard on the tubes.

Besides with the money left over you could entertain the piece of art work in your avatar for a few weeks.

Quick Reply: Which are the best speakers you have ever heard?