Notices
Audio and Video Forum The place to discuss auto and home audio, home theater etc.
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Musicar

Upgraded PCM 3.1 Hard Drive to SSD

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2024, 09:36 PM
Shotgun
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I successfully used Clonezilla with the "rescue" option enabled to clone the original, on the border of failing, Toshiba HDD to a larger capacity Samsung EVO SSD. My system is now working flawlessly with all functions enabled. However, I'm still on PCM 4.73 and am very reluctant to update to 4.76 given all of the issues encountered by others trying to update to 4.76. Any pro's or cons on staying with 4.73?
Old 03-16-2024, 10:01 PM
dan_189
Race Car

Received 138 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by Shotgun
I successfully used Clonezilla with the "rescue" option enabled to clone the original, on the border of failing, Toshiba HDD to a larger capacity Samsung EVO SSD. My system is now working flawlessly with all functions enabled. However, I'm still on PCM 4.73 and am very reluctant to update to 4.76 given all of the issues encountered by others trying to update to 4.76. Any pro's or cons on staying with 4.73?
There is no noticeable difference between the two versions. I had issues updating because of the DVD and had to use a USB stick instead.
The following users liked this post:
Wills electrical (04-19-2024)
Old 03-17-2024, 01:52 AM
MaxBlack
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

I upgraded to 4.76 but cannot tell any difference from the prior version
Old 03-20-2024, 10:13 PM
mikeymikes1971
Track Day

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Anyone heard from @ozzythething ? I posted a reply to him in this forum and sent him a PM but no answer. I need the pre-cloned HDD and the NAV dvd.
Rufastenuf (03-21-2024)
Old 03-21-2024, 03:55 AM
dan_189
Race Car

I have replacement hard drives and uodate DVDs available but the hard drives have Australian maps on them.
Wills electrical (04-19-2024)
Old 03-21-2024, 11:01 AM
Rufastenuf
AutoX

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default jslo help please! 🙏🏻

New member and new 991.1 owner 2015 911 Carrera 4 GTS with the PCM flashy business.

I’m not a computer person.. not at all.. but I tried! With the help of a friend to reboot the PCM - it was looking good then it wasn’t lol.

I can not PM you because I am new I’m guessing - but I could really use some help if you were willing.

Would it be possible to get a clone of your HDD onto a SSD and copies of the related updated software? Obviously I will pay for your time/services and mail you whatever it is you need from my PCM and SSD, DVD-RW’s or whatever is needed.

i don’t know how else to reach you - so I apologize for the public request!

my email if you are willing: floydreed@hotmail.com

you in advance!

Originally Posted by epnfrn
I wrote more in another thread: https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1175...e-booting.html

Most pertinent part copied here:

Fixed! Member 'jslo' was willing to take a look at my PCM. I sent it to him and he did confirm the HDD was dead on arrival. He copied a drive of his to a solid state drive and installed it back in my PCM and sent it back to me along with the software update disc. While he was bench testing, a silhouette of a different 911 (T) showed up, but otherwise appeared to be working.

I re-installed the PCM in my car and fired it up. Silhouette of my 4S Cab showed up, so clearly that image is being fed by connection to your car. Unfortunately, it continued to reboot every 5 minutes as before I then ran the update disc, and voila - has never reset again. In speaking to jslo about this after, we both think what is happening is the hard drive is crashing, and then corrupting the flash memory of the PCM unit itself. Replacing the drive alone was not enough for mine, but re-installing the software solved the flash problem. So there you go! $20 hard drive, $20 software update disc. $40! But Porsche's solution was replace the whole thing for $4600! Thank goodness for these boards and you clever people! Thanks to all that gave advice.

I've emailed jslo to see if he is interested in being a go-to for this problem. I paid him so money for helping me, and I would perhaps encourage others to get their drives copied to a more reliable solid state drive before this happens to them. If he gives me the green light, I'll happily share his contact info.

PM 'jslo' if you'd like some help.
Old 03-21-2024, 11:38 AM
mikeymikes1971
Track Day

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dan_189
I have replacement hard drives and uodate DVDs available but the hard drives have Australian maps on them.
Thanks mate, but I need NA (USA) maps.
Old 03-21-2024, 09:49 PM
dan_189
Race Car

Originally Posted by mikeymikes1971
Thanks mate, but I need NA (USA) maps.
Thought so!
Old 03-21-2024, 10:26 PM
Rufastenuf
AutoX

Default Trying for help/direction!

Originally Posted by ozzythething
You need 3 posts before you can send or receive PMs so I can’t PM you either..
Yes it is, also a more reliable method vs DVD
my PCM will not recognize a USB? Only DVD is that normal?
Old 03-21-2024, 10:42 PM
Rufastenuf
AutoX

Default 3rd post I think :)

@ozzythething @jslo

Im reading through these PCM3.1 posts and I see both of you are seemingly very will to help with these PCM issues! Thank you for that!

I am a new to me owner of a 2015 Carrera 4 GTS … with the 2-3min reboot ordeal. I’ve tried the handover about 100x without success.

I then was seeing software updates to 4.76 so I went through and found the links to the download - put it in a DVD and it worked! But at the same time it didn’t it’s now not rebooting every 2-3min but it is asking for more updates. I believe I found the right software but it fails at the very last bit.

it seems a SSD replacement is the most popular way to fix this issue but I don’t believe I have a good HDD to try and clone.. at least not now. I am also NOT computer savvy at all - all of this is WAY out of my wheel house.

I’ve tried to find the Porsche disc set with no luck. So now I am leaning on hoping on some help 🙏🏻 please.

If I sent someone a SSD or some DVD-R/W’s and a prepaid return shipping label would someone be willing to clone a SSD from a good HDD for me? Or make me a copy of the right software discs for the US (I’m in Arkansas) I would be most appreciative to anyone’s help!

I’m hoping I can PM at this point - I think this is my 3rd post? 🤞🏻

thank you in advance!

It stops after some LS file
Old 03-21-2024, 11:32 PM
dan_189
Race Car

Originally Posted by Rufastenuf
my PCM will not recognize a USB? Only DVD is that normal?
Check the format of the USB from memory it needs to be NTFS not Fat32 - from memory and then failing that try a different brand I think I used SanDisk and it worked
Rufastenuf (03-21-2024)
Old 03-21-2024, 11:35 PM
MaxBlack
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

@ozzythething @jslo

Im reading through these PCM3.1 posts and I see both of you are seemingly very will to help with these PCM issues! Thank you for that!

I am a new to me owner of a 2015 Carrera 4 GTS … with the 2-3min reboot ordeal. I’ve tried the handover about 100x without success.

I then was seeing software updates to 4.76 so I went through and found the links to the download - put it in a DVD and it worked! But at the same time it didn’t it’s now not rebooting every 2-3min but it is asking for more updates. I believe I found the right software but it fails at the very last bit.

it seems a SSD replacement is the most popular way to fix this issue but I don’t believe I have a good HDD to try and clone.. at least not now. I am also NOT computer savvy at all - all of this is WAY out of my wheel house.

I’ve tried to find the Porsche disc set with no luck. So now I am leaning on hoping on some help 🙏🏻 please.

If I sent someone a SSD or some DVD-R/W’s and a prepaid return shipping label would someone be willing to clone a SSD from a good HDD for me? Or make me a copy of the right software discs for the US (I’m in Arkansas) I would be most appreciative to anyone’s help!

I’m hoping I can PM at this point - I think this is my 3rd post? 🤞🏻

thank you in advance!

It stops after some LS file
I have successfully cloned my hard drive and successfully installed the 4.76 update. PM me and I am more than willing to help you out
Old 03-21-2024, 11:49 PM
Rufastenuf
AutoX

Check the format of the USB from memory it needs to be NTFS not Fat32 - from memory and then failing that try a different brand I think I used SanDisk and it worked

thank you! I will give that a try!
Old 03-22-2024, 07:28 PM
Rufastenuf
AutoX

thank you! I will give that a try!
@dan_189

do you happen to have the files that for sure work? I believe I have successfully downloaded the 4.76 update then it asked for more software using this:https://drive.google.com/open?id=1sV...smE7jBXCngUn8p

- I found what I believed was correct and it went good till right at the end.

using this:https://drive.google.com/file/d/1sV6...BXCngUn8p/view
I’ll be honest… idk what I’m doing! Seems if I had the right info to download, I can get it done?! I really appreciate your help!

if there was anyone willing to help with a HDD-SSD clone that would be greatly appreciated!! I’m not scared to pull it apart - but I’m not very computer savvy.

How are yall setting up the USB? I’m told there are 3 possibilities:

1) place the .ISO file from google drive directly onto the USB like a hard drive

2) unpack the .ISO and place all of the individually contained files onto the USB

3) Use some sort of PC program to actually burn the .ISO to the USB drive to make it a bootable drive. I tried this with a program called Rufus and it didn’t work as the .ISO is in a proprietary format it didn’t recognize

any and all help or guidance is GREATLY APPRECIATED!! Thank you!

Current PCM situation… that’s all it does lol
Old 03-22-2024, 08:30 PM
dan_189
Race Car

Putting the ISO file on the USB will not work. You definitely need to unpack the ISO file onto a USB or burn the ISO to a DVD using an ISO burner program.
Rufastenuf (03-22-2024)

Quick Reply: Upgraded PCM 3.1 Hard Drive to SSD