Notices
Audio and Video Forum The place to discuss auto and home audio, home theater etc.
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Musicar

Upgraded PCM 3.1 Hard Drive to SSD

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2024, 10:01 PM
sampietv
AutoX

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default PCM 3.1 repair

Yes, I had the same issue. I believe you must have three posts. OZ is great. He solved my PCM problem with a new hard driver and DVD
Old 08-07-2024, 10:42 AM
spinmd
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks! Guess I need to make several more posts. DOES Oz upgrade from IDE to SATA?
Old 08-12-2024, 09:04 AM
ElCid86
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by spinmd
Thanks! Guess I need to make several more posts. DOES Oz upgrade from IDE to SATA?
Is your drive IDE or Sata? I can help if you want a SATA SSD of PCM3.1 from a 2014 Cayman running v4.76.
Old 08-12-2024, 07:48 PM
dan_189
Race Car

Received 141 Likes on 124 Posts

You can't upgrade from IDE to SATA they have different protocols and the PCM doesn't understand it. You can upgrade from mechanical IDE to SSD IDE - the performance of the IDE vs SATA for SSD is the same. There is no advantage other than cost as the IDE solution is more expensive.
The following users liked this post:
Mike981S (08-12-2024)
Old 08-19-2024, 02:09 PM
ozzythething
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by dan_189
You can't upgrade from IDE to SATA they have different protocols and the PCM doesn't understand it. You can upgrade from mechanical IDE to SSD IDE - the performance of the IDE vs SATA for SSD is the same. There is no advantage other than cost as the IDE solution is more expensive.
This is true but I've also noticed that the small adapter board that you plug the SATA drive into is actually an IDE-SATA converter board. If you zoom into the chip that's on the board you'll see it's a Marvell 88SA8052 IDE-SATA bridge chip. So even if the drive is SATA, the head unit sees an IDE drive plugged in.

This made me think that maybe SATA drives could be used in an IDE PCM. However, it's not just the interface; the file system layouts are also different so you'll have to write an IDE drive image onto a SATA SSD to begin with; and even then there are no guarantees whether it will work or not, but if I had an IDE PCM I'd give it a try.

The following users liked this post:
Mike981S (08-19-2024)
Old 08-19-2024, 02:15 PM
ozzythething
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

I don't but willing to try if:
1. Your original IDE drive is in full working condition (if not I have a few IDE drive images that we could try, but this is uncharted territory so I'd prefer the original drive from the original vehicle as clone source)
2. You can eBay or otherwise source that small adapter board that's in the picture one post above
3. You're feeling adventurous
Old 08-19-2024, 02:41 PM
spinmd
4th Gear

Thanks. Gotta pull the PCM from my Panamera to see what I’ve got. PCM is totally dead now so may have to repair it first. Pops the damn PCM 10A fuse.
Old 08-19-2024, 07:16 PM
dan_189
Race Car

I have a working IDE solution if anyone needs it - PM me

I also tried various adaptors etc they didn't work and there isn't enough space for them to fit
Old 08-19-2024, 10:00 PM
Mike981S
Pro

Received 468 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by ozzythething
This is true but I've also noticed that the small adapter board that you plug the SATA drive into is actually an IDE-SATA converter board. If you zoom into the chip that's on the board you'll see it's a Marvell 88SA8052 IDE-SATA bridge chip. So even if the drive is SATA, the head unit sees an IDE drive plugged in.

This made me think that maybe SATA drives could be used in an IDE PCM. However, it's not just the interface; the file system layouts are also different so you'll have to write an IDE drive image onto a SATA SSD to begin with; and even then there are no guarantees whether it will work or not, but if I had an IDE PCM I'd give it a try.

Here is how I copied my IDE drive to an SSD:
  1. Get a standalone cloner. I got
    SABRENT USB Type C SATA 2.5” & 3.5” Dual Bay Hard Drive Docking Station | Offline Cloning | Up to 5Gbps | Tool Free Installation (EC-CH2B) SABRENT USB Type C SATA 2.5” & 3.5” Dual Bay Hard Drive Docking Station | Offline Cloning | Up to 5Gbps | Tool Free Installation (EC-CH2B)
  2. Get the SATA/IDE adapter to be able to plug the IDE drive into the cloner (though it turned out that it was not fitting in, so I needed to get the cable in point 3). I got
    NFHK IDE 44Pin Disk to SATA Female Converter Adapter PCBA for Laptop 2.5" Hard Disk Drive NFHK IDE 44Pin Disk to SATA Female Converter Adapter PCBA for Laptop 2.5" Hard Disk Drive
  3. In order to fit the SATA connection into the cloner, I got a
    straight SATA Extension Cable SATA III 3.0 22Pin SATA Male to Female Data Power Extension Cable straight SATA Extension Cable SATA III 3.0 22Pin SATA Male to Female Data Power Extension Cable
  4. You can either get #2 and #3 twice, or - as I did - get a
    mSATA to 2.5 Inch SATA III Aluminum Enclosure Adapter mSATA to 2.5 Inch SATA III Aluminum Enclosure Adapter
    where you put the SSD card in while you clone the disk (will save you a few bucks).
These items are needed to do the cloning.

I then got the following two items to create a IDE-based SSD drive to clone the data to:
  1. An
    SSD SSD
    MSATA 128GB Internal Solid State Drive MSATA 128GB Internal Solid State Drive
  2. The IDE compatible housing for the MSATA drive to be installed into the PCM. I first ordered one that was apparently too cheap to work. Someone in this thread recommended the
    Ableconn IIDE-MSAT mSATA SSD to 2.5-Inch IDE Adapter Converter with Aluminum Frame Bracket Ableconn IIDE-MSAT mSATA SSD to 2.5-Inch IDE Adapter Converter with Aluminum Frame Bracket
    which worked for me.
So after having removed the IDE drive from the PCM, I use the cable and IDE to SATA adapter to connect the original IDE drive to the cloning device and insert the SSD into the SATA housing as the target device.

Cloning the IDE harddrive to the SSD card.

After the cloning completes, I removed the SSD card from the SATA housing and put it into the IDE housing and installed the drive back in.

Make sure that the flat cable in the PCM connector is also connected correctly (otherwise it will not load correctly).

Note: This of course only works for drives that are not yet corrupted.

Last edited by Mike981S; 08-19-2024 at 10:01 PM.
Old 09-15-2024, 04:22 AM
daniel_apri
3rd Gear

Default ssd cloning pcm3.1 firmware, need help

hello,
while I was cloning pcm3.1(from 2015 cayman) hdd to sdd, hdd went dead...
I'm kind of middle of no where and really looking for pcm firmware..
have been looking for everywhere but couldn't find one.

Can anybody please please... help me.. with pcm firmware...
Old 09-15-2024, 05:23 AM
daniel_apri
3rd Gear

Default can I get some help?

[QUOTE=Mike981S;19605333]Here is how I copied my IDE drive to an SSD

My hdd went dead on the middle of cloning..
Is there any chance I could get help with pcm firmware ISO file ?..
Old 09-15-2024, 05:27 AM
daniel_apri
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Mike981S
Here is how I copied my IDE drive to an SSD:
  1. Get a standalone cloner. I got SABRENT USB Type C SATA 2.5” & 3.5” Dual Bay Hard Drive Docking Station | Offline Cloning | Up to 5Gbps | Tool Free Installation (EC-CH2B)
  2. Get the SATA/IDE adapter to be able to plug the IDE drive into the cloner (though it turned out that it was not fitting in, so I needed to get the cable in point 3). I got NFHK IDE 44Pin Disk to SATA Female Converter Adapter PCBA for Laptop 2.5" Hard Disk Drive
  3. In order to fit the SATA connection into the cloner, I got a straight SATA Extension Cable SATA III 3.0 22Pin SATA Male to Female Data Power Extension Cable
  4. You can either get #2 and #3 twice, or - as I did - get a mSATA to 2.5 Inch SATA III Aluminum Enclosure Adapter where you put the SSD card in while you clone the disk (will save you a few bucks).
These items are needed to do the cloning.

I then got the following two items to create a IDE-based SSD drive to clone the data to:
  1. An SSD MSATA 128GB Internal Solid State Drive
  2. The IDE compatible housing for the MSATA drive to be installed into the PCM. I first ordered one that was apparently too cheap to work. Someone in this thread recommended the Ableconn IIDE-MSAT mSATA SSD to 2.5-Inch IDE Adapter Converter with Aluminum Frame Bracket which worked for me.
So after having removed the IDE drive from the PCM, I use the cable and IDE to SATA adapter to connect the original IDE drive to the cloning device and insert the SSD into the SATA housing as the target device.

Cloning the IDE harddrive to the SSD card.

After the cloning completes, I removed the SSD card from the SATA housing and put it into the IDE housing and installed the drive back in.

Make sure that the flat cable in the PCM connector is also connected correctly (otherwise it will not load correctly).

Note: This of course only works for drives that are not yet corrupted.
My hdd went dead on the middle of cloning..
Is there any chance I could get help with pcm firmware ISO file ?..
Old 09-15-2024, 08:37 PM
dan_189
Race Car

You won't need the ISO firmware file just yet you will need to make a new clean hard drive.

There are a few options - buy one from me or the other guy selling them. Or look back through this thread and find the Clonezilla file someone kindly uploaded.

Write it to a new hard drive and install it. Then run the update DVD or unzip the update to a USB stick and use that.
Old Today, 05:28 PM
Jaysian
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

@ozzythething you have PM

Quick Reply: Upgraded PCM 3.1 Hard Drive to SSD