Notices
Audio and Video Forum The place to discuss auto and home audio, home theater etc.
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Musicar

Upgraded PCM 3.1 Hard Drive to SSD

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2023, 12:12 AM
Curtis Mueller
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Class action

Has anyone tried the class action route with the constant rebooting pcm? I just sold my CD 2014 and it started this problem the day before delivery. The suit says you must be the owner of record back in May 2020. Not ideal circumstances. @ozzythething could you contact me regarding your service with the hd?
Old 09-25-2023, 01:44 AM
UH2
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Curtis Mueller
Has anyone tried the class action route with the constant rebooting pcm? I just sold my CD 2014 and it started this problem the day before delivery. The suit says you must be the owner of record back in May 2020. Not ideal circumstances. @ozzythething could you contact me regarding your service with the hd?
I just received two checks for it about a week ago. $25 each. I'm rich.
Old 09-25-2023, 02:11 AM
ozzythething
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Curtis Mueller
You need 3 posts before you can send or receive PMs so I can’t PM you either..
The following users liked this post:
Curtis Mueller (09-25-2023)
Old 09-25-2023, 08:54 AM
Curtis Mueller
4th Gear

Default Class Action

Thanks Ozzy.
Old 09-25-2023, 09:01 AM
Curtis Mueller
4th Gear

Default www.porschepcmsettlement.com

Has anyone applied for and received reimbursement for their PCM replacement or fix? If so, did you have to jump through any hoops?
Old 10-01-2023, 08:29 PM
davebvt
6th Gear

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Just picked up 2014 Boxster S with reboot issue. Going to pull hdd to confirm rebooting issue goes away.
Old 10-02-2023, 08:56 AM
ElCid86
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by davebvt
Just picked up 2014 Boxster S with reboot issue. Going to pull hdd to confirm rebooting issue goes away.
LMK if you need a clone on an SSD.
Old 10-03-2023, 07:30 PM
davebvt
6th Gear

Removed the hard drive and radio is still rebooting. It's on version 4.76. What's my next step?
Old 10-08-2023, 03:04 PM
MasterA
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Finally an easy fix

So, I had my PCM 3.1 HD go on my 991.1 and since Jslo seems to have a dead account and I’m not savvy enough to do the HD copying and reinstalling myself, I was left with spending $4,000 (CAD) to replace the entire unit.

Then I saw this video from Driver 81 on YouTube, we now finally have an easy and better replacement that directly replaces the stock PCM 3.1 but with all the added features of Apple CarPlay Android etc… for literally about 1/10th the cost.

I wish this option was around when I needed to replace my PCM and I would have saved thousands of dollars. I’m NOT sponsored, don’t own the replacement head unit but from the video and from looking at their videos on YouTube it is probably the easiest solution for all of us that get stuck with a dead or constantly resetting PCM.

Knowing we have a slightly defective head unit kind of grinds my gears and Porsche is frankly not helpful at all besides looking to reach deep into our wallets.

Here’s the video link to the Erisin PCM replacement unit. I hope this saves people the huge headache and rip off from the dealership.

I hope this helps!

Last edited by MasterA; 10-08-2023 at 03:05 PM.
The following users liked this post:
davebvt (10-10-2023)
Old 10-08-2023, 03:44 PM
davebvt
6th Gear

Thanks, that's going to be my next option if a cloned drive doesn't work.
Old 10-08-2023, 04:01 PM
MasterA
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by davebvt
Thanks, that's going to be my next option if a cloned drive doesn't work.
If you do so, can you put your thoughts on the product here. It looks great from the videos I found but be nice to get a first hand account.

I’m almost tempted to just take the PCM out and replace it with this Erisin, keep the original PCM in the house for safe keeping and put it back in if I sell it. (Doubt I will sell it, only 33k km’s on it - only selling to upgrade).
Old 11-01-2023, 03:57 PM
abhaya
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by ozzythething
Yes they got phased out in June 2013 as far as I know..

I will do an IDE repair/preventative upgrade for free (or at cost) to someone who has an IDE drive. Otherwise SATA drives are freshly restocked, anyone having the reboot issue can PM me for a freshly written SATA SSD.

Close to 100 pcm’s fixed with my repair kits
Hi @ozzythething , which version of the Maps will come with the cloned SSD you supply? Does it have to match the version I currently have?
Old 11-01-2023, 04:46 PM
Garhy
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ozzythething
this is 100% the way

If without a drive your unit works but loses functionality, you can get a SSD kit from me to restore functionality.

If without a drive it still reboots, that PCM is likely toast…

also, before your HDD dies, I recommend getting an SSD upgrade as a preventative maintenance. Some of these drives are now 10+ years old and it’s not a question of if, it’s when.
Does this apply to the PCM3.0 ?
Old 11-05-2023, 10:25 PM
Krakus
5th Gear

Originally Posted by GJSI
aardy,
It is important that you have a good cloned disk and a good update disk. In my case, I cloned my HDD to a 120GB SSD using Clonezilla, but I suspect I did not do a good job of the cloning.. Since I could not obtain a PCM update disk from the Porsche dealer, I downloaded an ISO image from the web and burnt an update DVD.
When I tried to do the update, it put me into an Emergency Update and it was then that I appealed for help from the Forum. Jslo came to my rescue and enabled me to get a good clone and a new update disk. I noticed that this new update disk was not identical to the one I had burnt from the ISO image and contained many additional files.
Ten minutes after inserting the Update Memory Stick on the USB socket in the armrest console, I had a fully working system again, with full funcionality. I was so relieved! Before the fix, the PCM was rebooting every 4 minutes and this was draining the battery to under 12V in only 3 days. Now there is no rebooting and the battery drop is 0.05 V in 3 days. It feels good to have solved this problem during the Covid-19 shutdown and I owe a lot to the smart people on this forum. Hang in there and you'll eventually get it fixed, with the benefit of a more reliable SSD component in your PCM unit. I'm also convinced that the PCM works faster and more smoothly than before.
I'm also stuck in the Emergency Update loop trying to update from 4.73 to 4.76. I tried both a DVD and a USB stick. Can I ask where you got the new update disk from, that has different files from the ISO image that you first used (and is likely what I have been trying)? Will the one from the pcmupdate.com site work, or is it different?
Old 11-05-2023, 10:36 PM
dan_189
Race Car

Received 138 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by Krakus
I'm also stuck in the Emergency Update loop trying to update from 4.73 to 4.76. I tried both a DVD and a USB stick. Can I ask where you got the new update disk from, that has different files from the ISO image that you first used (and is likely what I have been trying)? Will the one from the pcmupdate.com site work, or is it different?
Did your PCM start Emergency booting prior to trying to update? If so you will most likely need a new hard drive. Otherwise if it started EB when trying to update then its most likely the media - i.e. USB or DVD.

Try a different USB stick - some brands don't work.

I used a SanDisk and it did but the DVD did not.

Quick Reply: Upgraded PCM 3.1 Hard Drive to SSD