Notices
Audio and Video Forum The place to discuss auto and home audio, home theater etc.
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Musicar

Upgraded PCM 3.1 Hard Drive to SSD

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2023, 02:38 PM
#RTB
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ordered a GTACarkit to upgrade my 2013. After reading this forum I was going to be proactive and replace my HD when I took the head unit out. When I pulled the drive, I found out it was an IDE drive so I ordered an IDE SSD drive. I made an image of my current drive with clonezilla and tried to apply it to the SSD with no success. The screen boots, but sits on "Loading Maps". Resetting by holding the "Info" button has no effect. I have tried disc to disc and image to disc copying. Sounds like reading in the 997 forums that some SSD drives are not compatible but some did have success with MSATA and IDE adapters. I don't have a restore/upgrade disc, though I don't know if that will help here. I have now ordered an MSATA SSD and MSATA to IDE enclosure/adapter based on reading Bruce in Philly in the 997 forums. I have held off on installing the GTA kit to see if I can get the new drive going first, hopefully I am on the right track.........
Old 06-27-2023, 09:50 AM
Papermaker1
3rd Gear

Fantastic. Where do I send the drive? Thanks, John
Old 06-28-2023, 11:10 AM
ERDoc74
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

@ozzythething Hi Ozzy! I recently purchased a "new to me" 2015 Boxster GTS with the PCM 3.1. The car does not currently have an apple CarPlay aftermarket solution installed but I'm looking to do than soon (most likely Mr12Volt option).... ANYWAY, I have been doing research on here and other forums and it sounds like a good idea to upgrade the existing OEM HDD to a SSD while the PCM is out etc... I currently am not having any issues with the HDD like apparently many people on here have (YET). I'm not too tech savvy as you or others on here and am nervous about screwing something up or possibly having issues cloning the existing HDD to the Samsung 250gb SDD I bought to use for this purpose... If I send you the HDD and my SDD, would you be willing to clone it for me? (For a fee obviously...) I also would like to upgrade the PCM Firmware to the 4.76 version as well if it's not already (still need to check to see what's loaded...
Thanks so much for your help in advance!!!
Old 06-28-2023, 07:22 PM
ozzythething
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Papermaker1
Fantastic. Where do I send the drive? Thanks, John
Originally Posted by ERDoc74
@ozzythething Hi Ozzy! I recently purchased a "new to me" 2015 Boxster GTS with the PCM 3.1. The car does not currently have an apple CarPlay aftermarket solution installed but I'm looking to do than soon (most likely Mr12Volt option).... ANYWAY, I have been doing research on here and other forums and it sounds like a good idea to upgrade the existing OEM HDD to a SSD while the PCM is out etc... I currently am not having any issues with the HDD like apparently many people on here have (YET). I'm not too tech savvy as you or others on here and am nervous about screwing something up or possibly having issues cloning the existing HDD to the Samsung 250gb SDD I bought to use for this purpose... If I send you the HDD and my SDD, would you be willing to clone it for me? (For a fee obviously...) I also would like to upgrade the PCM Firmware to the 4.76 version as well if it's not already (still need to check to see what's loaded...
Thanks so much for your help in advance!!!
Sending PM to both of you.

Also, I have pre-cloned SSD + DVD kits available still - send me a PM to get one.
Old 07-27-2023, 02:06 AM
Sick21
2nd Gear

Default Appreciation!

Just wanted to share my appreciation with this forum, I managed to clone my disk using ddrescue and everything is now working, words aren’t enough for the amount of help this thread gave me, thank you!

if anyone is interested in sending me their hdd so I can clone it and send it to you with the update and everything working just shoot me a PM!
Old 07-31-2023, 10:26 PM
ozzythething
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Thanks for all the kind words everyone, glad to get your PCM’s working again!

I’ve restocked on pre imaged SSDs, if your PCM hard drive is dead and you’re having the rebooting issue, or it isn’t dead but you just want the upgrade as preventative maintenance, feel free to reach out to me via PM.
The following users liked this post:
WR87 (01-14-2024)
Old 08-03-2023, 11:26 AM
kent9272
Track Day

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ozzythething
Thanks for all the kind words everyone, glad to get your PCM’s working again!

I’ve restocked on pre imaged SSDs, if your PCM hard drive is dead and you’re having the rebooting issue, or it isn’t dead but you just want the upgrade as preventative maintenance, feel free to reach out to me via PM.
I'm in need of one, I sent you a PM.

Thanks!
Old 08-04-2023, 10:07 AM
kent9272
Track Day

Originally Posted by ElCid86
happy to send you a clone of you send me an SSD and postage.
Can you help? I have a 3.1 which keeps rebooting. I am in the DMV area.
Old 08-08-2023, 10:33 AM
ElCid86
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by kent9272
Can you help? I have a 3.1 which keeps rebooting. I am in the DMV area.
Sure. I'm in Fredericksburg if you want to bring an SSD to clone. Or feel free to PM me and you can ship it to me.
Old 08-12-2023, 10:57 PM
jasonhollis
Rennlist Member

How do I go about sorting out my rebooting PCM 3.1 in Australia? I have duped the broken drive to 2 extra SSD's. I have licensed DDRescue GUI but of course, I'm running Venura and the last compile was for Mavericks. Contemplating trying the windows code or Ubuntu 22 code or I guess I could just recompile the whole thing. I'm assuming the GUI version is just a bit easier to use. Feeling utterly frustrated with the whole thing at this point.
Old 08-12-2023, 11:10 PM
dan_189
Race Car

Received 138 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by jasonhollis
How do I go about sorting out my rebooting PCM 3.1 in Australia? I have duped the broken drive to 2 extra SSD's. I have licensed DDRescue GUI but of course, I'm running Venura and the last compile was for Mavericks. Contemplating trying the windows code or Ubuntu 22 code or I guess I could just recompile the whole thing. I'm assuming the GUI version is just a bit easier to use. Feeling utterly frustrated with the whole thing at this point.
PM me I'm in Australia

I have clean Australian SSDs with AU maps for sale
​​​​​​

Last edited by dan_189; 08-12-2023 at 11:12 PM.
Old 08-13-2023, 10:04 AM
kent9272
Track Day

@ElCid86 was nice to send me a new ssd cloned with his current one. I installed it and nothing happened. The Porsche logo still comes on for 10 secs and then turns off. Does this means I'll have to get a new PCM?
ElCid86 (08-13-2023)
Old 08-13-2023, 02:02 PM
bobbyp
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 101 Posts

@jasonhollis Since you wrote you have Ubuntu, you should be able to clone the original disk using the "dd" command which has been part of Linux forever.
Old 08-16-2023, 03:04 PM
kent9272
Track Day

Anyone had luck buying a used working unit and having the dealership program it to the VIN?
Old 08-20-2023, 04:39 PM
efraincantu
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Price

Originally Posted by ozzythething
If you have a bad PCM 3.1 hard drive, I have pre-cloned SSDs that will solve your issues. I also have 4.76 software update DVD and USB thumb drives available.

The SSD is cloned from a fully functional PCM 3.1 and supports all features like: Aux BT, navigation, USB, iPhone/iPod connection, DVD jukebox and AM/FM/XM radio. Navigation maps are pre installed for the North American region.

We have successfully fixed three forum members' bad PCM's with this replacement SSD + DVD update combo. I also offer installation support and shipping worldwide.

PM me for details
How much for one? Can you pm me? For some reason gives me no permissions error when I try to pm you.
ElCid86 (08-21-2023)

Quick Reply: Upgraded PCM 3.1 Hard Drive to SSD