Notices
Audio and Video Forum The place to discuss auto and home audio, home theater etc.
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Musicar

Upgraded PCM 3.1 Hard Drive to SSD

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2022, 10:29 PM
CruisinUSA
Track Day

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up

I cloned the OEM drive to an SSD using
this docking station this docking station
(SSK USB 3.0). I did it offline and it took about 30 minutes to clone. I installed the new drive and everything is perfect just like before. Thanks to everyone who posted the instructions, it was very easy since I was installing a Mr12volt and had the system out already.

I also imaged the original drive to backup on my server as well.

Last edited by CruisinUSA; 09-01-2022 at 10:34 PM.
Old 09-08-2022, 08:32 PM
offroadfun
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

So I purchased a SATA drive to replace the factory HDD and the connectors are different. Is there an adapter I need to buy or do I need to get a different SD drive? First pic is the one I bought, second pic is the one that is in my PCM. Thanks in advance for any help.

Old 09-09-2022, 12:55 AM
dan_189
Race Car

Received 141 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by offroadfun
So I purchased a SATA drive to replace the factory HDD and the connectors are different. Is there an adapter I need to buy or do I need to get a different SD drive? First pic is the one I bought, second pic is the one that is in my PCM. Thanks in advance for any help.

You have an early IDE drive which makes life difficult, there is no adaptor you can use as the drives use different communication protocols. You'll need to find the correct IDE SSD or use an IDE to various card adaptors
Old 09-09-2022, 08:38 AM
offroadfun
Advanced

Originally Posted by dan_189
You have an early IDE drive which makes life difficult, there is no adaptor you can use as the drives use different communication protocols. You'll need to find the correct IDE SSD or use an IDE to various card adaptors
Thank you. Would something like this work? I realize I’ll have to get the SD card as well. Since my original drive has issues, I purchased the SATA drive from a member here that was already programmed. Will I be able to just clone that SATA drive to the new mini SSD SD card?

or would something like this work?

Last edited by offroadfun; 09-09-2022 at 08:44 AM.
Old 09-09-2022, 09:22 AM
dan_189
Race Car

Received 141 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by offroadfun
Thank you. Would something like this work? I realize I’ll have to get the SD card as well. Since my original drive has issues, I purchased the SATA drive from a member here that was already programmed. Will I be able to just clone that SATA drive to the new mini SSD SD card?

or would something like this work?

Unfortunately that won't work, the only IDE drives that work I don't think are available anymore. I was fortunate enough to buy one of the very last true IDE SSD drives available and haven't been able to source them since.
Old 09-12-2022, 12:05 AM
Rx991
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jslo
Hi! Just send me a private message and we can get you fixed up.
hey jslo it wasn’t letting me private message you but I had recently picked up a 2014 991t and shortly after started noticing this auto restart happening. Car parked in garage for a full week and ended up even killing the battery since i didn’t have it on a trickle yet and didn’t know it was even rebooting while car was off. Removed fuse in mean time and pulled the hdd and tried cloning with a offline cloner to ssd. Process seemed too fast for me to believe it truly worked. Seems it’s only 4.6g or so of data when I connect to pc does that seem right? Also burned update to a cd and usb drive. I will try to put it back in this week and run update. If this does not work are you still willing to help or take a look at original drive? Message me if possible. Thanks.
Old 09-12-2022, 12:17 AM
CruisinUSA
Track Day

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

That style of SSD is called an IDE DOM. You can still get them cheap on AliExpress it looks like. Can someone confirm if this would work?

I used one in an arcade cabinet years ago and it worked exactly like the spinning drive I replaced.
Old 09-12-2022, 11:32 AM
Rx991
2nd Gear

So I had an hour this morning put in the cloned ssd/ pcm and ran the update cd. Ejected once put it back kept running in emergency update mode. Seemed to complete and said completed did come up with an error 3019 after it was complete but seems like it doesn’t restart anymore. Bluetooth working fine and hasn’t restarted yet. Have to take it on a drive later in the week to check. Maps not loading though . If anyone has a solution or any suggestions for this please let me know. Thank you.
Old 09-12-2022, 07:43 PM
GBoy1
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does anyone offer to do this service to fix the rebooting issue? This is beyond my skills.
Old 09-12-2022, 08:01 PM
ozzythething
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by GBoy1
Does anyone offer to do this service to fix the rebooting issue? This is beyond my skills.
Send me a PM
Old 10-07-2022, 09:36 PM
Jhvene
2nd Gear

Default No imagen PCM 3.1

Originally Posted by jslo
I've now done a few of these upgrades and recoveries with success. If the hard drive is still functional, I've found I can clone the good data to a new drive, install it back in the unit, and run the PCM update to restore any missing or corrupted files. If the drive can't be read at all, it can be replaced with another cloned drive, and the update disc should help initialize the new drive to the car, but not all functions may work without taking it to Porsche to re-enable features like navigation even if the originating drive has the same options.

I have SSDs available if anyone needs a clone, pre-cloned SSDs, and update discs available.
o

New PCM 3.1 does not give an image, the Porsche logo turns on, the service goes out and it turns off, it does not turn on again, you have to erase the dtcs and do the same again, any idea of ​​the problem?​​​​​​
Old 10-08-2022, 02:30 AM
MasterA
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Out of luck

Originally Posted by Jhvene
o

New PCM 3.1 does not give an image, the Porsche logo turns on, the service goes out and it turns off, it does not turn on again, you have to erase the dtcs and do the same again, any idea of ​​the problem?​​​​​​
Jslo died or sold his car and no longer replies to requests. Good luck, cost me $5k at the dealer for a brand new PCM this year… over a $20 hard drive. Good luck!
Old 10-12-2022, 01:11 PM
danfw58
Intermediate

Default PCM no drive? whats missing here?

I have a 2016 911. when we got it,

the PCM reboots randomly, CD doesn't work, nor the NAV. I pulled the unit to check to see if maybe the HD was inop or something (figured I could hear it spin up if it was not dead... but when I opened it up; no hard drive and no... whatever goes in the other compartment. (see photo attached). What goes in the area to the right (in the photo) of the hard drive bay? Could these missing parts (HD, etc.) be the cause of the rebooting or are these separate issues? any idea where to find a hard drive for the 911 PCM and whatever goes in the bay next to it?

thanks in advance....

Dan
Old 10-15-2022, 09:57 PM
offroadfun
Advanced

Is there anyone on here that could help me out with a IDE style drive cloning?
Old 10-20-2022, 01:40 PM
chlbaxter
Cruisin'

Hi @jslo If you are still doing the PCM update disks I'd like to purchase one.

Quick Reply: Upgraded PCM 3.1 Hard Drive to SSD