Notices
Audio and Video Forum The place to discuss auto and home audio, home theater etc.
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Musicar

Upgraded PCM 3.1 Hard Drive to SSD

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2022, 03:41 PM
Loucel4
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pcmupdate.com is what i used.
Old 03-22-2022, 06:07 PM
MiloNL
Track Day

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim981CS
See post #286 above where I posted a link to the V4.76 latest upgrade.
Jim
I downloaded this image and compared it with mine. It is exactly the same and so very likely not a virus Thanks for sharing. I had a hard time finding it and like the current availability. It really can help restoring crashed drives.
Old 03-25-2022, 04:02 PM
epedone
7th Gear

I'm so glad I found this post. Not sure if anyone is still following this thread. I am having the exact same PCM issues on my 981 (the rebooting at least. I haven't used the update DVD yet so I'm not stuck in the emergency update loop). I have a question though- is cloning my hard drive and placing the clone in the PCM likely to fix the problem? Or do I need to debug the software on the cloned hard drive first?
Old 03-25-2022, 04:07 PM
epedone
7th Gear

Are you still selling these update discs? If so, I would be interested in purchasing one from you
Old 03-26-2022, 10:35 AM
wquiles
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Loucel4
Pcmupdate.com is what i used.
It is great to see sites like this with the disk/instructions - pretty cheap too. But it is sad that this is happening to "many" of us "after" the warranty runs out.

I was able to restore full functionality to my car, EXCEPT that my original hard-drive was so bad I lost all of the maps. This PCM disk restores everything "but" the maps, so I have to figure that one out next.
Old 03-26-2022, 03:44 PM
epedone
7th Gear

I've had the exact same problems as mentioned in this thread. I've tried cloning my hard drive but it keeps failing. I'm wondering if the data is not salvagable. I noticed that this thread is over a year old now though. Does anyone know if Jslo is still offering repair services? I'm running out of ideas for solutions to this problem
Old 03-26-2022, 06:08 PM
MiloNL
Track Day

Originally Posted by epedone
I've had the exact same problems as mentioned in this thread. I've tried cloning my hard drive but it keeps failing. I'm wondering if the data is not salvagable. I noticed that this thread is over a year old now though. Does anyone know if Jslo is still offering repair services? I'm running out of ideas for solutions to this problem
It is possible to mount your drive in linux (readonly). Then you should be able to read all files and thus know that everything is readable (except jukebox and navigation what seem to be data partitions).

I made an image from the harddisk and wrote all nulls to the harddisk to clean it. Then I copied the image back and from then on the update DVD worked fine.
Old 03-28-2022, 12:58 PM
Schorsch
Racer

Received 134 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by MiloNL
I made an image from the harddisk and wrote all nulls to the harddisk to clean it. …
I strongly recommend replacing the hard-drive with a solid-state-disc (SSD)
Reason: More reliable and robust drive with no moving parts.

Old 03-28-2022, 04:00 PM
MiloNL
Track Day

Originally Posted by Schorsch
I strongly recommend replacing the hard-drive with a solid-state-disc (SSD)
Reason: More reliable and robust drive with no moving parts.
As I now do have an image it does not really matter anymore. I searched for automotive SSDs but found that they are quite expensive. So for now I just keep my HDD and replace it as soon as it fails.
Using a consumer grade SSD might not be the best solution as a car can become very hot and very cold. The operating range of a normal SSD is very limited.
Old 03-28-2022, 04:29 PM
slowbutsure
7th Gear

Hello All. I have read and read and read this post and the ones from Renn. Special thanks to @flgfish and others who set this thread out. I have benefited from these forums so just trying to give back.

Mine kept rebooting every 2-5 minutes. Already had 4.76 update in the past. Took out the HDD and tried to clone to SSD via WeMe but first 25% kept blinking and the rest went through. Seems like the first part of the HDD was corrupted. Reading along, I have read that even if the source HDD was corrupted, you can still use the target drive, copied to SDD. Then insert the update disc 4.76 again and seems like this disc adds, replaces what's missing from the SDD or fixed the SDD because now it works great great. Even the maps/navigation works. Does not reboot thus far and it's been a few days. So, again, the update disc seems to fix, replace, add what's missing in the original hard drive or new hard drive!! I will now make another backup of the updated SSD and keep as insurance. Hope this helps more people.

I will provide update disc 4.76 copy for download. then burn on DVD.

Originally Posted by flgfish in Rennlist

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1sV...smE7jBXCngUn8p

Old 03-28-2022, 05:32 PM
paynejr63
1st Gear

Just wanted to thank all the folks in this thread. I like others was experiencing the constant reboot problem. Following the advice of the group I purchased a PNY 120g SSD and a hardware based cloner from Amazon . Plugged the old drive and new one in last night and let it do it’s thing, woke up this morning and installed everything back into the car, ran the update disk and everything works perfect… Nav included.

Thanks again for everyone’s help.
Old 03-29-2022, 10:13 AM
KlezOne
1st Gear

Hello Guys!

I ran into a problem with my pcm 3.1, that the factory hdd is completely dead. My car is a 2015 Porsche Panamera with Pcm 3.1.
The factory Toshiba 100gb drive with so many bad sector, so I can't clone.
What can be done then?

Many thanks,
Laszlo
Old 03-31-2022, 03:18 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Deleted, found more answers

Last edited by Slow Guy; 03-31-2022 at 03:24 PM. Reason: found answers
Old 04-02-2022, 04:08 PM
Daystrom
AutoX

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Friends, just wanted to post thank you for this informative post. Although I have not had any issues with my '14 Boxster's PCM, as insurance I cloned my working OEM drive to an SSD, and made an image using Clonezilla. Now I have the OEM drive safely stored, an image of my PCM backed up, and the new SSD working in the car.

I did break two tabs on the side panels removing them, nothing that a little JB Weld can't fix though!

Parts I used:

SSD: 120 GB Kingston SSD
Amazon Amazon

SATA USB adapter:
Amazon Amazon

Name:  3anBEnLm.jpg
Views: 831
Size:  21.7 KB
Name:  SvINlRtm.jpg
Views: 821
Size:  21.3 KB
Name:  K4geuU0m.jpg
Views: 820
Size:  22.2 KB

Last edited by Daystrom; 04-02-2022 at 04:09 PM.
The following users liked this post:
wquiles (04-03-2022)
Old 04-03-2022, 09:07 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by slowbutsure
Hello All. I have read and read and read this post and the ones from Renn. Special thanks to @flgfish and others who set this thread out. I have benefited from these forums so just trying to give back.
edited:

I will provide update disc 4.76 copy for download. then burn on DVD.

Originally Posted by flgfish in Rennlist

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1sV...smE7jBXCngUn8p
I've burned your file to a DVD, what needs to be done to update the PCM from the DVD? Just insert it?

Quick Reply: Upgraded PCM 3.1 Hard Drive to SSD